• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storage Alternatives

PhatAsh

The Bionic Poster
While scrolling through some recent posts I hear about some of the members using coolers for storage. How do they work and what type of humidification do you use? I recenlty contacted a local buisness man who is selling off his supply of cigars and have been hesistant to jump in due to lack of storage and the cost of humidors.

Here's a pretty good site about storage...explains about coolerdors as well.  

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/cigarstorage/index.html

In a few weeks, I'm headed out to get a 150 qt. cooler myself.  

It mentions some folks attaching spanish ceder to the walls of the cooler with non-toxic glue, but personally, if you store cigar boxes full-o-sticks in the cooler, the boxes will provide plenty of cedar. IMHO.  

I'll be setting it up on end, with the drain hole up. So it'll open like a fridge.  Then start stacking the boxes that are filling up faster than I can smoke em  :p

BTW, you can also consider dropping a mini-fan thru the drain-hole if ya want.

SHADOW'S COOLIDOR BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Take one new cooler(any size, it does not matter). Wipe it down inside and let it dry. That gets rid of the plastic smell.

2.  Take a plastic travel soap container, drill holes in the lid of said container.

3.  Insert oasis(floral) foam inside container, pour 50/50 mixture over foam(just enough to wet down the foam), close container, put container in cooler.

4.  Fill cooler with cigars, close lid, relax and smoke a cigar.

WELL, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT! THIS ISN"T ROCKET SCIENCE! :D  :D  :D  :D

those are all great links

I guess I don't have to post anything

I once used a small broken portable mini-fridge. Air tight, no sunlight can get in and holds humidity well.

I hope you didn't have it on it takes all the oils out of the leaf

i use an old coffin style freezer that we have at hunting camp to keep my cigars in on those extra long trips after our first kill of the season...lol. works very well, but have to keep an eye on the rh, cuz it takes a while to get it up to 70%, so i have to get it there, and keep it there.