• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Store 'em or smoke 'em....

Bond

Is this mine or is that yours?
When you go to your local shop and pick up just a few sticks, do you start smoking them soon afterward, or do you let them hang out in the humidor a few days to a week before firing one up?

I finished off an AF Hemingway a few hours ago that I have had for 2 weeks and it seemed to be a better smoke with just a little bit more time in my personal humidor than when I've bought 'em and smoked 'em the same day.

My local shop has an awesome humi. So I smoke most pretty quick. The new Greycliff's I will hold onto for awhile just to get some age on them. If I don't know the shop i'll hold for awhile.

I always store my smokes for at least 2-3 weeks after I buy them. And that always turns into months.
If I know I'm going to smoke at any of my local shops I always bring my own cigar...light it up and then buy a few on my way out. They don't mind as long as I'm not just "using" them as a lounge.

-Fetter

If I buy at a local, it's to smoke that day since I don't have it in my humi. There really is no other reason for me to buy local, since the costs are all jacked up.

Depends on the shop and what and how many I buy. If the shop is keeping the cigars too moist, I will almost always wait until later to fire them up. If they are dry enough, I will often burn one while talking with the tobacconist. I often buy several of the same cigar, so one might be to smoke and the others to sit for weeks....months....years.

So, my answer is...it depends. :p

I guess it really depends on how good your local's humidor is. If they keep their smokes at a decent humidity level that is conducive to smoking, then have at it. Otherwise you might want to give it a week or so in your own humi to adjust to where you like it.

Most folks here agree when getting smokes in the mail, either via trades or purchases from online stores that you need to let them settle in your humi to get over the fluctuations during travel.

I always store cigars for at least a few weeks in my humidor before I smoke them.
I have had some burn problems with cigars that I have smoke just after buying from my local shops.
Also when I get cigars thru the mail, I always store them for a while.
They burn better and taste better.

I give them a few weeks, but not really on purpose. If I buy singles I buy at least 5 or so and can't smoke them all right away. I've had some burn problems depending on the shop as well.

Since i don't smoke a lot, most of my sticks get a month or 2 in the humi before they are even considered being smoked.

I've smoked them straight after buying them. Since there is so many cigars to try that I havent, I just usually buy 2 of the same stick. 1 to smoke and one to sit on. then I can get some idea if I like it better young or old. Plus, OpusXKC managed to get me to actually save sticks. :0

Then visiting this board and becoming a member, I've managed to get rare sticks to save for that rare occasion that would be deemed worthy of such a fine smoke. :thumbs:

I usually buy 3 packs from my shop if I want to bring any home. That way I can sit down right then and there and smoke one and still have 2 in my box at home.

As long as your B&M has a well regulated humidor, then I see no problem with smoking a stick right away. Unless the whole purpose of purchase was to rat hole that cigar away at home.

With the store being mentioned I believe your best bet is to hold on to those sticks for awhile. Brandon started a Post discussing our finding at that particular shop.

Nick