• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storm Shelter for Cigars

rdj735

I'm in the process of buying a house right now. In the basement, there is a small shelter-like room that branches off the main room, probably 5'x5'. It is actually dug into the ground, jutting out from the basement wall and under the front yard. Does anyone know if I'd be able to make this my cigar storage room, or would the temperature fluctuate too much? I suspect that the top of the room is only a foot or two below ground...

Your underground room will probably fluctuate less in temperature than your above ground rooms. Earth is a good insulator. :thumbs:

Now where I live, you would have to worry about moister. Below ground here is not so good because of that.

I am not handy or creative when it comes to building or construction of things. But...that sounds like a very cool idea. I have a semi-finished basement, where I keep my coolidor that stays within a pretty constant range between 63-70* through the year. The floor is concrete.

My guess is the temp may stay pretty consistent. I would maybe wait and see what it is like in the summer which is where your smokes might be at risk the most.

Maybe put a humi in there and see there are any temp swings? And then make your decision.

Good luck, keep us informed.

The question I have is if the room has a floor, wall, and ceiling, or is it just earth?

I'd be concerned if it is structurally sound, or could it collapse on your stash.

Is the shelter floor below the level of the basement floor? If it is I would worry about water. If it looks at all like it has been wet I would stay away from it. The basement on the other hand... I have read several threads on some fantastic basement man caves. :thumbs:

Edited because I hit post to quick.

In addition to what others have stated, I would confirm that there are no insect/rodent concerns before storing. Although I would think both would not be attracted to tobacco, I still wouldn't want any kind of intimate contact.

The room comes directly off the basement, at the same elevation as the basement itself. The walls are block, while the floor and ceiling are concrete... ceiling could actually be the bottom of the porch, now that I think about it. I don't know what the original purpose of the room was; I'm buying it from someone who got it after a relative of his passed away. That being said, I can't think of any other reason for it besides for use as a storm shelter.

My plan is to line the whole thing with 6-mil poly, then cover it with lauan. I'll make my shelves out of spanish cedar. I think I can control the moisture, but I wasn't sure if the ground (at that depth) would maintain a temperature that was constant enough for my cigars to tolerate.

I may not have a good place to hide, but if I do survive the tornado that rips through the neighborhood, I'll be awfully glad that I can celebrate with a great smoke!

Us yanks called the room a fruit cellar. Used it for canned goods and anything you were trying to keep cool. Think you got a secret winner there.

Cinderblock is surprisingly porous, and lots of moisture will get through. The plastic is a must. Just be careful.

I would think that if the cinder block was sealed well enough at some point, you would be ok to build it up as a humidor. If not, you could end up with a uncontrolled moisture problem, possibly even a mold problem behind the poly liner.

I would think that if the cinder block was sealed well enough at some point, you would be ok to build it up as a humidor. If not, you could end up with a uncontrolled moisture problem, possibly even a mold problem behind the poly liner.
Excellent point.

They make a substance that is used to seal swimming pools. You just apply it with a brush or roller and it will seal against moisture entering. We used it when to seal my Mom's cellar 25+ years ago when we built it and it is still doing its job. Don't remember the name of it tho.

Yeah, I plan on sealing the block with something, although I figure it has already been done. Block tends to get those green mold stains if kept wet very long, but I didn't see anything like that when we walked through. I also felt the walls, since we had recently gotten a lot of rain, but they didn't feel damp.

I've heard a lot of good things about that DryLock sealer for preventing any moisture seepage through block walls in basements/foundations.

I've heard a lot of good things about that DryLock sealer for preventing any moisture seepage through block walls in basements/foundations.

*** Have used the DryLock before; good stuff, easy to use, no brain expense required.

Would love to see some pictures when you have it all done up! Good luck :)

Yeah, I plan on sealing the block with something, although I figure it has already been done. Block tends to get those green mold stains if kept wet very long, but I didn't see anything like that when we walked through. I also felt the walls, since we had recently gotten a lot of rain, but they didn't feel damp.

I was bored and googled something for you to read hope you enjoy it
Basement sealing