• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Story of Customer Appreciation

Azoetia

I thought I would share a story of fantastic customer appreciation from a local B&M (as the sarcasm drips off the page). I would have shared this story in a more timely manner but I haven’t been online much as of late.

Since I moved into my new home three years ago I don’t visit this particular B&M more than 5-6 times per year (it is 25 miles away from my home). However, whenever I am even remotely near this B&M, I will go in and purchase a few premium cigars to support B&Ms. They also have my name and e-mail address for their Fuente holiday release notification list. On Friday, December 15th, I sent them an e-mail in the morning to see if the Opus X and Anejo shipment arrived. They did not respond to my e-mail. Nonetheless, since my wife had a doctor’s appointment in the area that afternoon, I took the train home from work to a stop near the B&M rather than my usual stop much farther down the line. I walked to the store from the train stop and asked if they received any Anejos yet. The owner said that they did earlier that morning (they open at 11 and it was now 3) but he already sold out (limit two per customer). Not surprising, at decent, and even not so decent, prices, these sell out quickly. I noticed three boxes of Opus X - DC, xXx and SB. I asked if I could purchase two of each. I was told that they were making the price stickers for them and that I would have to come back, perhaps the next day, to purchase them. Somewhat surprised by his response, especially since he is the owner, I politely explained that I don't live nearby anymore and asked if he could just sell two DCs based on the box price. Again I was told I would have to wait until the stickers are ready. I gently put the PAM 64s in my hand back in the box, said thank you and left. I suspect he may have been saving them for his more regular customers, which is fine, but it sure would have come across better if he just told me that rather than telling me he couldn't sell them until the price stickers were affixed. As an aside, neither was my e-mail inquiry replied to nor was I notified of the Fuente holiday releases per their e-mail notification list. I wasn’t going to lose my cool over a few Opus X.

This in and of itself does not merit such a lengthy post. Later that night I spoke to a fellow BOTL who must have been in there not long after I left. This BOTL is a big guy, 6'6" and just a big guy. He walks in and buys $100 worth of cigars from this shop. After paying, he lights up a special cigar he was gifted that he brought with him. The owner tells him he can't smoke in the store because the guy isn't old enough to smoke. Yes, he just sold the guy cigars. So he cards this guy and sees that he is 24 years old. He then tells the guy he can't smoke in his store because he is not a member of the "lounge club" and tells him to leave the store after the BOL just lit a Monte No. 2. By the way, the "lounge" is comprised of four chairs, a table and a TV in plain sight at the back of the store and there are no signs indicating the space is not open to the public.

Sorry for rambling. Moral of the story is this: if you fortunate enough to have a good, local B&M, appreciate it because there are many out there who do not.

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

David

I also like to support the local B&M.... but with a guy like that.... I am greatful for the internet.... at least i can contact other B&Ms and purchase directly from them. Like Al (puffstuff). I would say, screw that guy..... stick around here, you would be amazed at the friendships that can made here.

Sounds like a Fine store..... :rolleyes: . If you ever get to Kansas City, be sure to hit the Outlaw Cigar Co., they will make up for it.......x100 :D .

Sounds like a Fine store..... :rolleyes: . If you ever get to Kansas City, be sure to hit the Outlaw Cigar Co., they will make up for it.......x100 :D .

I'll have to agree with Dave on this!! :thumbs:

That's bullshit if you ask me. There is one store in town here I go to but don't frequent, for instance today my wife and I walked in and the guy was reading a book and asked if I needed any help. I said I was just looking and walked in the humi. My wife said he just sat down and started reading like she wasn't even there. Now when I walked out with a box of God of Fire boy did he jump up. It really pissed my wife off. Needless to say I am not a regular.

You instance is totally uncalled for.

It is a damn shame that you had to experience that type of interaction. It's bad enough when the hired help acts in that manner. It's 10 times worse when the owner acts like that.

I guess that he is probably the only tobacconist anywhere within a large radius and he figures that he can get away with how he acts. That being the case, he will continue to do so until he gets some competition. If he is the only source for hard-to-get cigars like Fuente, he'll still have that business.

I'm not sure if this would be against the rules of CP, but you should name the store. Others may have had a bad experience with this store. You might be doing some members a favor. And you might prevent others from making the same mistake.

That just plain sucks... Please publically post the B&M where this happened - or at least PM me so I can boycott the place! I live in the Chicago area!!! :whistling:

I, too, would appreciate knowing the name of the store...

ALostTexan

Cigars come and go, but good customer service will last forever. Would you go to a restaurant that serves great food but offers horrible service?

Hey folks,

Thanks for the responses. Thankfully, there are other B&Ms where I moved, some closer, one farther away, but they get most of my business. In fact, without sounding like a pompous ass, I wasn't terribly fazed by the shop I mentioned, Tribeca in Downers Grove, because I literally spent two grand, if not more, at other places in December alone stocking up and buying gifts for friends and fellow BOTLs. I take solace in the fact that this money was spent elsewhere because theoretically, on better terms, part of it may have gone here. The shop never received a lot of sales from me, but they surely won't receive any more. Some of the P/T help was decent enough in the past to merit my infrequent return visits. When I met my wife afterwards she asked what was wrong - I said "some j@#*&f ......" and told the story. I was pissed but knew the guy didn't really care because he was going to sell out of the Opus X stash he had anyway. I have been buying cigars long enough from local B&Ms and online from great vendors so I won't miss this shop. So much for trying to help out a local.

So, now you have the name and caveat emptor! With that kind of behavior, I don't suspect he'll be around for a long time anyway. If I am banished for revealing the name, a small price to pay. I wasn't sure how many Chicago-area members were here, so I thought I would initially take the high road and keep it anonymous.

Thanks again,
David

Thanks for letting us know!!! I've never been there - and I never will...

If you're going to be up in the northern suburbs, though, I can tell you about a coupla shops that'll take care of you!!! :thumbs:

Hey folks,

Thanks for the responses. Thankfully, there are other B&Ms where I moved, some closer, one farther away, but they get most of my business. In fact, without sounding like a pompous ass, I wasn't terribly fazed by the shop I mentioned, Tribeca in Downers Grove, because I literally spent two grand, if not more, at other places in December alone stocking up and buying gifts for friends and fellow BOTLs. I take solace in the fact that this money was spent elsewhere because theoretically, on better terms, part of it may have gone here. The shop never received a lot of sales from me, but they surely won't receive any more. Some of the P/T help was decent enough in the past to merit my infrequent return visits. When I met my wife afterwards she asked what was wrong - I said "some j@#*&f ......" and told the story. I was pissed but knew the guy didn't really care because he was going to sell out of the Opus X stash he had anyway. I have been buying cigars long enough from local B&Ms and online from great vendors so I won't miss this shop. So much for trying to help out a local.

So, now you have the name and caveat emptor! With that kind of behavior, I don't suspect he'll be around for a long time anyway. If I am banished for revealing the name, a small price to pay. I wasn't sure how many Chicago-area members were here, so I thought I would initially take the high road and keep it anonymous.

Thanks again,
David

Not to worry, David. Sources for non-Cuban cigars are discussed openly.