• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

strange hygrometer situation

mingkou

I bought a new humidor recently. It came with an analog hygrometer and I also had the one that was in my old humidor. I put both of them in the same plastic bag for a salt test and calibrated them to 75%, and then let them settle again to make sure they were both at 75%. So, I then put both in my humidor. One reads right around 70%, the other reads 62%. What do you all think? Should I

a) average them and hope the true RH is in the middle?
b) not trust either and buy and electronic hygrometer?
c) do nothing, cigars are probably fine either way.

If I go with an electronic hygrometer, are they anymore valid than an analog? If I do nothing, what do you think the chances are that both analog hygros are wrong and it is below 60% or over 70%? Anyone have any similar experiences like this?

Analog hygros that come with humidors are worthless in my experience. Get a digital and salt test it.

Doc.

Go digital, more accurate.

I come from the other school. Analogs are fine, but you have to put in the time. Drop both in the bag, and then put the bag in tupperware. I suggest a mason jar myself. Better seal. Drop the meters in for 3 hours. Come back and try to set them to %75. Repeat that step 3 more times. After you think it is dialed in within %2, check against beads or a humi-pouch.
By the way, digitals are much easier. You still have to go through all the steps though. I just happen to be old school when it comes to making things work.

Emo

The analog that came with my humidor was junk. I could shake it and the reading would change by a couple %.