• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Strength

CD

Cigars are often described as being mild, medium, or full bodied.  Sometimes this refers to flavor and sometimes it refers to the nicotine level.In either case, it’s all pretty subjective.  Does anyone have guidelines that they follow when evaluating a cigar's strength?

I guess I just gauge how much of a buzz it gives me. I know it's not scientific but it's fun!!!

I being a still part time smoker of cig's have a hard time feeling any nicotine in a cigar. When I speak of strength I normally speak of flavor as I quit smoking cig's (I am trying, its not the smokes its the #### habit of having one at work to relax) anyhow I will keep track of if I feel any difference.

Hmmm, that's a good question. For me there are two strengths for each cigar. The first, and by far more important, is the amount of flavor. As my palate has matured, I've found that I enjoy a heavier flavor than I used to. (Actually, I find cigars from the first couple of boxes I bought to be almost too mild to smoke.)The second strength is the amount of nicotine. I do NOT enjoy a nicotine buzz, so I've learned to be careful with certain cigars. I once became violently ill after smoking a CAO anni maduro on an empty stomach. (I've learned since then.) While I consider a lot of nicotine to be a negative, I do enjoy some cigars that pack a substantial nic-kick; Ashton VSG, OpusX, and Cubans, for example. These cigars taste good enough to make the nicotine worth it to me. I just have to smoke them slowly on a full stomach. :)To sum up a rambling post that probably doesn't answer your question, it is entirely subjective. My advice is to call them as you see them and realize that your tastes change over time. Please feel free to review your favorite smokes over in the review forum! :cool:

Taste does change over time. Cigars that I thought of as being on the full side a few months ago seem more on the medium side now. It's fun to see how impressions change.What I find interesting is that while I'm tending to prefer the stronger stogies I'm also gaining a better appreciation of the milder or medium bodied smokes. I think it's because I can better recognize the subtler flavors.As far as the nic-buzz goes, sometimes I don't really notice it while I'm smoking but feel it the next day. Interesting.

I seem to judge strength more by the
nicotine buzz than by flavor. I found
the old blend of Saint Luis Rey to have a big, full flavor but I did not
notice the nic too much. Others seemed to be bothered by the high buzz
quotient. On the other hand I find
the taste of a Partages SD#2 to be in
the medium range, but with a high nic
content. I rate the SLR as medium
and the SD#2 as full. Others may rate
each heater oppositely. It is just a
matter of opinion and past experience
with each. How about that for talking
out of both sides of your mouth? Might
make a good lawyer

I just wanted to "necrohump" a thread that was older than the other guys. Plus, I love the new word Nick introduced me to. NECROHUMP!!!

Ahhhhhhh, it's gonna be a great day! Oh yea, I gauge strength by the flavor, not the nicotine buzz. I hate a strong nic buzz cause it makes my tummy sick. 🤪

Floyd T

I just wanted to "necrohump" a thread that was older than the other guys. Plus, I love the new word Nick introduced me to. NECROHUMP!!!

Ahhhhhhh, it's gonna be a great day! Oh yea, I gauge strength by the flavor, not the nicotine buzz. I hate a strong nic buzz cause it makes my tummy sick. 🤪

Floyd T
Congrats! Floyd😛 mission accomplished!

I see strength and fullness of flavor as two different things. They often go hand in hand but not always.

Floyd T
This had me laughing, and perhaps I'm incorrect but I believe the term is NECROBUMP lol. Hump implies cadaver fornication hahaha. I like it anyway here's to necrohumping!

This had me laughing, and perhaps I'm incorrect but I believe the term is NECROBUMP lol. Hump implies cadaver fornication hahaha. I like it anyway here's to necrohumping!
You are correct on term, and the "mistake" was intentional. Asshat gonna asshat...