• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

stuff that isn't islay..

mitchshrader

Reaction score
i'm not much of a cigar guy, (ouch!) and mostly smoke the little ones outdoors.. (married, you see.. ) ..

so booze and cigars aren't my likely combination.

that may explain why the sweeter spirits and i get along so well. i'm more likely to have chocolate with spirits than a smoke..

anyway, it puts me right off the islays, chocolate and betadyne makes a rotten combo. ;)

My tastes run to the sherried scotches, rich brandy and tawny port.. the occasional belgian ale..

And selection isn't great in Tulsa, one must prevail on the kindness of friends for care packages.

So i've missed a bunch of them, this is just a selection to date..

Aberlour Sherry Finished.. (15 yr old at one time, 16 now, same booze).. Top Shelf Bang/Buck..
Glen Rothes 91 (2nd place bang/buck)
Johnny Walker Gold (3rd place bang buck with a special award for drinkability)

Pure Taste Award

Macallan 18 (and honestly it'd be second if it wasn't so pricey, you can't ignore the worldwide fan club)
Daniel Bouju Royale Brut De Fut (Cognac) 15 yr, 120 proof, nectar. no, i'm not sharing.
Sazerac 18 yr old Rye (pure candy, the finest american booze i've personally tasted, if you can find a bottle just pay for it, and drink it later when you've forgotten the pain)..

I've worked through the Van Winkles, and wasn't Very impressed, just not a bourbon guy I guess. I've tried quite a few american brandies, and for the most part was disappointed. I have some hopes that eventually the american spirits industry will grow enough variety to make competition on quality (rather than merchandising) the big factor in success.. we're GETTING there..

any non-islay winners you'ld care to share for guy with a sweet tooth?

You mention bourbon, scotch and brandy/cognac but have you tried rum? Ron Zacapa 23 and Zaya are reasonably priced and quite good if looking for a sweet taste.

Eagle Rare 17, also part of the BTAC with Sazerac. One of the best American bourbons available also in the same upper price range as the Saz.

Johnnie Walker Green Label, might just be the finest vatted malt in the world, or at least the best available in the US.

Balvenie PortWood 21, Macallan 18 price but more Speyside and less Juarez.

Mortlach 12, a sherry monster that runs over the Mac 12.

Lots more in my reviews.

ah, well, not to swell your head unduly but i read your reviews FIRST.. :)

the mortlach is on the list, I'm generally not fond of anything under 15 years old, nor bourbon so much..

and the Jerez *makes* the scotch for me, I'm the original sherry monster. Odd, actually, that i'd like the Balvenie 15, and I can't wait to grab that new 17 yr Sherry Casked..

peat and i are gonna be strangers, in general. the rums i think are where i'll wander next..

Eagle Rare 17, also part of the BTAC with Sazerac. One of the best American bourbons available also in the same upper price range as the Saz.

I'll have to agree with the Eagle Rare recommendation...that's my favorite bourbon at the moment and I need to get a replacement bottle soon.

Balvenie PortWood 21, Macallan 18 price but more Speyside and less Juarez.

I can actually get the Balvenie 21 for $100 from my local whereas the Mac 18 is around $130.

I don't know how you feel about Canadian whiskies, but you might want to give Crown Royal Cask No. 16 a try. It's finished in Cognac barrels. I'm not a fan of cognac so I wasn't crazy about it, but I could see how people might find it exceptional.