• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert

barney_rebel

http://www.amazon.com/Stumbling-Happiness-...TF8&s=books

Page 51 he talks about the "experience-stretching hypothesis"

...I occasionally smoke a cigar because it makes me happy, and my wife occasionally fails to understand why I must have a cigar to be happy when she can apparently be just as happy without one (and even happier without me having one). But the experience-stretching hypothesis suggests that I too could be happy without cigars if only I had not experienced their pharmacological mysteries in my wayward youth. But I did and because I did I now know what I am missing when I don't, hence that glorious moment during my spring vacation when I am reclining in a lawn chair on the golden sands of Kauai, sipping Talisker and watching the sun slip slowly into a taffeta sea, is just not quite perfect if I don't also have something stinky Cuban in my mouth. I could also press both my luck and marriage by advancing the language-squishing hypothesis, carefully explaining to my wife that because she has never experienced the pungent earthness of a Montecristo no. 4, she has an impoverished experiential background and therefore does not know what happiness really is. I would lose, of course, because I always do, but in this case I would deserve it. Doesn't it make better sense to say that by learning to enjoy cigars I changed my experiential background inadvertantly ruined all future experiences that do not include them? The Hawiian sunset ws an eight until the Hawaiian sunset a la stogie took its place and reduced the cigarless sunset to a mere seven.