• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sudden drop in RH

cigars&rum

"I changed my profile Rod"
Can anyone offer a reason why I have had a 6-8 % drop in my humi? It is a 100 count humidor containing about 30 sticks. I recently moved it from my basement to my master bedroom due the winter months coming. I had a cigar which was gifted to me which happend to be freshly rolled, I then had removed the cigar after reading how some smokes can be very dry and just suck all of the RH dry. I have 65% RH beads from Viper which are fantastic, but now I am at a loss as what could cause this problem. I have noticed my smokes have developed a tight draw, is this due to my humi drying out?

C&R

last note: I usually have my humi at 67/65 % RH, now it is strugling to be above 63%.

:(

IMHO The difference is in the temp. I have the 70% beads and in the summer when the house is warm, I had no trouble at all holding 68-70%, now that hte house has cooled down to the low 60's which is where I like it, the RH now will run between 62-65%. So the differenece is due to the temp.

Temperature chance could be a problem...especially if it was an extreme change(like more than 10 degrees) Sounds like your beads are drying up though...try adding a little bit of distilled water to them...maybe a teaspoon or so. Your humidity should rise back up to the range that it was at before within a matter of hours.

Jeffro600 said:
Temperature chance could be a problem...especially if it was an extreme change(like more than 10 degrees)  Sounds like your beads are drying up though...try adding a little bit of distilled water to them...maybe a teaspoon or so.  Your humidity should rise back up to the range that it was at before within a matter of hours.
[snapback]253376[/snapback]​

Jeffro600, my beads are pretty soaked already, crystal clear. I'm wondering if I should put a small cup of distilled water inside the humi and remove the beads for awhile.

C&R

Temperature is a factor and I see the two values fluctuate together. Lately, the house has gone from a steady 66-68 degrees to anywhere from 58 when we're not home and 65/66 when we are. This made holding a steady 65-67 difficult. I poured my beads OUT of the tube and into a tiny tupperware dish (for condiments etc). I keep a small spray bottle in my closet near the humidor filled with distilled water. Reach in, take the tiny tupperware filled with beads out, spray it 3 or 4 times, done. I'm not afraid to soak the beads pretty good until you get that silica smell.

I didn't realize how temp could affect it. I've also noticed a slight drop in my RH down to 68 (although it dipped to around 62-65 last week until I added more water to the beads)

My condo's temp fluctuates, very hot during the day, cools off at night cause we keep the windows open. I guess that must account for all the changes I see in my humi.

Edited for crappy spelling.

smallg said:
Temperature is a factor and I see the two values fluctuate together. Lately, the house has gone from a steady 66-68 degrees to anywhere from 58 when we're not home and 65/66 when we are. This made holding a steady 65-67 difficult. I poured my beads OUT of the tube and into a tiny tupperware dish (for condiments etc). I keep a small spray bottle in my closet near the humidor filled with distilled water. Reach in, take the tiny tupperware filled with beads out, spray it 3 or 4 times, done. I'm not afraid to soak the beads pretty good until you get that silica smell.
[snapback]253445[/snapback]​

So why even use beads if they are soaked like a fish.

My 2cents worth, Do a salt test first. Make sure your meter is in order.

Also, have you recently placed new cigars in the humi, they could be the cause for your swing. Perhaps, you do not have enough beads in humi to keep RH stable.

Next, move the humi to an area that has no swing in temp.

Great King Rat said:
smallg said:
Temperature is a factor and I see the two values fluctuate together.  Lately, the house has gone from a steady 66-68 degrees to anywhere from 58 when we're not home and 65/66 when we are.  This made holding a steady 65-67 difficult. I poured my beads OUT of the tube and into a tiny tupperware dish (for condiments etc). I keep a small spray bottle in my closet near the humidor filled with distilled water.  Reach in, take the tiny tupperware filled with beads out, spray it 3 or 4 times, done.  I'm not afraid to soak the beads pretty good until you get that silica smell.
[snapback]253445[/snapback]​

So why even use beads if they are soaked like a fish.

[snapback]253618[/snapback]​

The beads work, and you are right about possibly purchasing more. I'm not sure where you live but up here in the northeast forced hot air heat is INCREDIBLY dry. Which is why almost everyone has home humidifiers up here. Beads simply dry up faster here than in constantly warmer areas.

62 to 66 RH is ideal for me. I think cigars taste and burn better at lower RH levels. I would worry about RH if it dropped below 55.

Another way to solve rh problems is to get a small thermo electric fridge along with cedar trays and a small circulating fan . That is what I am going to do during the holidays. 65/65 all around the year with no swings and no worries.

Here is a link for one.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/avanti/wine/wine/EWC12.shtml

Great King Rat said:
62 to 66 RH is ideal for me. I think cigars taste and burn better at lower RH levels. I would worry about RH if it dropped below 55.

Another way to solve rh problems is to get a small thermo electric fridge along with cedar trays and a small circulating fan . That is what I am going to do during the holidays. 65/65 all around the year with no swings and no worries.

Here is a link for one.

[snapback]253682[/snapback]​

That isn't even all that expensive. Thanks for the link!

Great King Rat said:

Here is a link for one.

Do you own one of these? And how many smokes can you fit in the fridge?

Thanks,

C&R

When our electric forced air furnace comes on for the winter, the RH in our house < really > heads south, and in turn goes the humi and to a smaller degree, the cooler. I have 65% beads in my humi / cooler but for a couple of weeks until things stabilize, I put a distilled water moistened sponge in there and watch the hygrometer. Things settle back down pretty fast, usually good to go from there.

FWIW - B.B.S.

cigars&rum said:
Great King Rat said:
62 to 66 RH is ideal for me.  I think cigars taste and burn better at lower RH levels.  I would worry about RH if it dropped below 55.

Another way to solve rh problems is to get a small thermo electric fridge along with cedar trays and a small circulating fan .  That is what I am going to do during the holidays.  65/65 all around the year with no swings and no worries.

Here is a link for one. 

Do you own one of these? And how many smokes can you fit in the fridge?

Thanks,

C&R
[snapback]253768[/snapback]​

No I do not have one yet, but soon, I would say it can hold 400 cigars. They have bigger ones as well.

This one is: Height: 25 1/2" Width: 10 1/4" Depth: 20 3/4"

Great King Rat said:
Here is the big brother.

I think the big one is the way to go.

http://www.canningpantry.com/ewc24.html
[snapback]253840[/snapback]​
Thanks GKR! This is definitely a big help. Rather than buying another humi because "our" 100/150 count became too small, this will solve two problems at once.

Happy Thanksgiving!

C&R

In my opinion cigars smoke better and age better at the following levels.

58-62 percent humidity and 65-67 degrees temperature.

Had this problem last winter, you are constantly going to be combatting the dry winter air unless you put your stoges in a container with a better seal, I no longer use a humidor I guess you could say I grew out of it and if you want a more stable humidity level you are going to have to get something with a better seal like tupperware or a cooler.

I'm quite surprised that my cooler is keeping a rock solid 65% while my humi has dropped down to 60% (despite adding distilled water), both using 65% beads.

I use two humidors, both are around 70-72% and it's damn cold with no humidity in Toronto. My advice is add distilled water more often in the winter, if you have to add water more than once a week something is probably wrong with your seal.