• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SUMMER BARBECUE

EdGar

SUPERIOR MEMBER
Summer is here in full force and my kids have been bugging me to smoke a butt and do some serious BBQing.  
Who has the best BBQ and how do you make it?  I am looking for Sauce, Rubs, Marinades, and side dishes.   :thumbs:

I love ribs mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

What do you grill with? I use a simple Brinkman Bullet with a few modifications.

How did you know that the Beast and I were just discussing bbq/grilling/smoking (the cooking kind) today in the chat room?

Psycho or..er...psychic or something like that

I am planning a big family BBQ next weekend, it usually takes me a week or so to prepare.

If I told you it wouldn't be a secret anymore. :)

ok this is my recipie for a rub for grilling steaks,

stay with this it is good (may sound different)

all it is is an equal amount of brown sugar,kosher salt, and coffee grounds. kosher salt is must and grounds can be fresh ground or maxwell house etc. rub over steak (smear it in) and grill over coals/mesquite as usual.

If your no sure you want to try this next time you grill only make a small piece.

never tried on ribs but would probley work :lookup:

;) :) :D :p :0 :thumbs:

I like to drink my coffee, never thought of rubbin it on my Porterhouse, Hmmmmm :D :p :)

You mean Maxwell House works....DAMN!!!..to think all this time I've been forkin out for the Jamacian Blue Mountain ??? :angry: ???

LMFAO :p ;) :p

Wow Ed, down here in Texas talking about how to prepare BBQ is like talking politics......just try not to do it...haha!  ;)

This is not an easy subject to do over the internet. There is so much to cover...... I'll try to give you a few basics that I think most all BBQ'ers will agree on.

Lets start with what you are useing to cook with. I'm not familar with a Brinkman Bullet. I'm gonna talk about two types of grills......one where you cook directly over the coals and one that has a fire box located to the side of the cooking area. If you are cooking directly over the coals you are not BBQing. You are grilling. Big difference!  BBQing is done at low tempertures from a heat source located away from the meat. It is next to impossible to regulate the temp at the cooking surface when you are cooking directly over the fire/coals. My recommendations when cooking over this type of grill is to do 90% of the cooking inside. Yes, inside the oven....then grill it for about 10 to 15 minutes...that will give it the BBQ/grilled flavors and most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. ( I will tell you that I've used that method a few times when I just didn't want to hassle with keeping a fire going all night to BBQ.... it does make it easier)

For the most part I use a cooker with a firebox. So many things to talk about here. For simplicity, one could use regular charcoal but true BBQ'ers use wood. I use primarily Oak, Pecan, Hickory, And Mesquite. Each wood has its own character for burning and flavoring. This is mostly learned with trail and error. Hicory and Pecan are stonger than Oak. Oak is probally one of the best all around woods for cooking with but this is one of those areas that each individuals needs to decide for themself. Starting your fire and getting it so the temp is regulated at about 200 to 225 at the cooking area is what I strive for. It is not something that just happens in 15 minutes. Once you reach your cooking temp and can maintain it start BBQing your meats. I place my meat the farthest I can from the heat source and maintain the temp with a cooking gauge. Do not open the lid. If you have your temps right you should not have to open the lid but maybe once every hour or so depending on what you are cooking. The whole ideal behind it is to maintain that consistent low temp.

Wow, I can't believe I rattled on about this.....actually, I could talk for hours on BBQing.....  :)   but I won't bore you. I will give you a good site to check out. I don't totally agree with everything this guy says (you'll never find BBQ'ers who do agree on everything) but there is a wealth of info there and a lot about prepareing different meats and estimated cooking times. Be prepared before you go to this site. You can be there for days....trust me...a lot of info!

http://www.barbecuen.com/defaultframes.htm

Next time you find yourself down Texas way give a shout.... We'll Q a brisket for about 10 hours..... do you know how many beers that takes?   :D

Allofus I'm glad someone else knows the difference in grilling and bbq. How about one of my fellow Texas out there give up a good brisket recipe I cant get one to turn out right. ???

I do a lot of waterfowling during the season and usually have so much in the freezer that I have to look for different ways to prepare it to keep it different. This is a very easy recipe. If you ever get a chance to do this recipe you WILL thank me I promise. (just send cigars... :) )

GRILLED MARINATED DUCK BREAST

Boned breast of 2 ducks
1 cup Italian dressing.
1-2 tablesoon Worcestershire (sp?)
1 large lemon
pinch of ground clove
large :) pinch of garlic powder (this is a personal decision, I think the recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon)
Bacon Slices

You should have four nice slices of breast meat to work with. Soak them in Salted water for about 3 or 4 hours. Take them out and pat dry. Mix all the other ingredients together and pour over the duck breast in a glass bowl. (if the duck breast are very large, I will cut them into 2 or 3 strips before marinating them) I believe the original recipe calls for marinating for an hour but I let it marinate over night. After they have been marinated, take the breast or strips of breast and wrap them with bacon securing it with toothpicks. Cook on a grill over a SLOW fire. Approx 8-10 minutes each side. I like to use the bacon as an indicator. Make sure the bacon is done.

Now I'm hungry...... I better go check the freezer and see if any duck is left from last season....if not, I know this great little park....... :0 :sneaky:

EdGar,

Go get the book "The Joy of Grilling" by Joe Famularo. In it look for the recipe called "Grilled Spareibs with Birmingham Barbecue Sauce". This has to be the best barbecue sauce I've ever tried. You marinade the ribs in this concoction, then you scrape the marinade off the ribs (so it doesn't burn), grill them, and then add honey and brown sugar to the marinade then cook it and that becomes the sauce. Serve with the usual fixins and a bottle of red Zin. Follow it up with a ERdM Choix Supreme and you'll be in heaven.

This recipe is fantastic I tell you. It's ruined me for any other recipe for grilled or smoked ribs.

From the Secret Cookbook of Tony (culinary God :p)

Rub:

tablespoon of the following:
onion powder
garlic powder
cayenne
paprika
teaspoon of:
salt
pepper

In a little cup (for brushing):
half cup of HOT water
tablespoon of brown sugar
half cup of apple cider vinegar

Rub ya chicken, ribs, steaks, small children with that rub, let it sit for a while (longer the better).

Start grillin'. Crack a beer. Light a cigar.

Every 15 mins, brush whatever your grilling with the water/vinegar mixture.

Once the mixture is gone, and meat is cooked, the last 15 mins, brush with your bbq sauce if you use it.

That one a gold ribbon at the Garlic Festival when I was in school (Firestorm should know the garlic fest)

WHOO

Wow wee.
Thank you so much for the info - IF I end up in Texas ever, I am certianly looking forward to hands on training on the real Q.

I use a fancy grill, and do the best I can - yes I seperate from the flame as best as possible and it does turn out better, I would love to get a real barbecue with a fire box some day.

Thanks for the Info..

benjiev said:
Hey Smoking when do you add the Folgers  ???  :D  ???  LOL
Ya know, the coffee grinds actually are a nice addition. It breaks the meat down further and makes steaks and such a lot jucier.

With my mixture thingy, it does the same thing as the coffee, but I'm gonna use some left over grinds tomorrow WHOOP

good rub recipie smokintone, hey benji that coffee really is good, just make your steaks like normal but take a little piece and cook as stated you will like it! :D :D :D :D

:) I know I'd get some heat over that recipe :)

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

Just when I think I've heard everything....but I WILL try it sometime. LMAO!

One of the size 4 honeys that I used to date gave me a marinade recipe, that's about the only constructive thing that I got out of her, for a vegetable and meat marinade.

2 parts: Heinz 57, 1 part: brown sugar, 1 part: dash of lemon juice. mix together in a small glass bowl and microwave briefly. Great over steamed vegetables and pretty darn good with the steak too.

Thanks for the BBQ tips guys...really great. Texans know about BBQ...that's for sure. In Carolina we know about pork bbq. Hey, this is making me hungry! LOL

Sam

Ed, funny you should mention BBQ as I just made some Saturday night!

I don't know how many of you are familiar with North Carolina BBQ, but, imho, it's the best around!

Here's what I do:

Get a pork shoulder and cook it in the crock pot all night on low. I add apple cider vinegar and spices.

When it's done in the morning, I mince it with a cleaver and viola, there you go!

I also use Sauer's BBQ sauce on it when served!

Man, it's out of this world!

I also smoke the shoulders sometimes for a different tast! I'll be smokin one at the beach in July!

Leebo :D

Now that be soundin' like some badass BBQ Leebo. I have an aunt and uncle down in Kentucky that makes it just like you described. YUM.

Ahhhh, the good 'ol south