• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sun Damaged Wrapper

vinnyvega

There is a really good deal on some Daivdoff Millennium churchills that have some signifigant sun damaged to the wrapper. One side of the wrapper is very light like a claro wrapper. The other side is nice and dark. So my question is, has anyone here had issues with sun damaged cigars? Cosmetics doesn't bother me but does it affect the taste or the burn? I want to grab the whole box when I get out of work because these are at a really, really good price. I don't shop at this B&M often. The guy who was working there said they are fine other than the ultra light wrapper.

Please help a newbie out???

TIA
Joe

Was it sunlight or artificial? If cigars sit in sunlight long enough to change the wrapper color, it seems the rays would possibly dry the wrapper out as well? Would be interesting to see them/hear how they smoke.

I might be stating the obvious, :whistling: but why not buy one and give it a try. If you like it, go for the box!

Was it sunlight or artificial? If cigars sit in sunlight long enough to change the wrapper color, it seems the rays would possibly dry the wrapper out as well? Would be interesting to see them/hear how they smoke.

They are not dry. But that is how they are now, not how they were at one point. The bands are yellow as are the cello. They are from 2005.

I might be stating the obvious, :whistling: but why not buy one and give it a try. If you like it, go for the box!

I know but he wants a $100 for the box(10 ct.) I am afraid they won't last the weekend and he's only holding them for me today. I won't be able to smoke one until Monday the earliest. I don't want to throw a $100 out the window if the flavor is compromised but this is tough to pass up at that price. This is giving me a headache...

This sounds a little fishy. I have to admit, I've never really heard of sun damaged cigars. I guess its a possibility. But here's the thing, Davidoff Millennium cigars already have a darker wrapper on them. You say one side of the cigar has a dark wrapper and the other side is much lighter. I would guess that sun damage should darken the cigar.

Davidoff has excellent quality control so I doubt the cigars were shipped like that. Did this sun damage occur in the cigar shop? I guess if they were stored properly they should smoke fine, though I have no clue as to what sun damage does to the flavors of a cigar. It would be interesting to see a photo.

Eric

If it was me, I wouldn't take the chance. I would take the 100 bucks and just buy a five pack of properly stored Daivdoff Millennium churchills.

Rich

This sounds a little fishy. I have to admit, I've never really heard of sun damaged cigars. I guess its a possibility. But here's the thing, Davidoff Millennium cigars already have a darker wrapper on them. You say one side of the cigar has a dark wrapper and the other side is much lighter. I would guess that sun damage should darken the cigar.

Davidoff has excellent quality control so I doubt the cigars were shipped like that. Did this sun damage occur in the cigar shop? I guess if they were stored properly they should smoke fine, though I have no clue as to what sun damage does to the flavors of a cigar. It would be interesting to see a photo.

Eric

The box had been on display(inside a humi) that was close to the store front window. Not very smart.

So these have bee sitting on display in a humidor since 2005? Not a lot of Davidoff Millennium fans at the shop
laugh.gif
? If these are indeed Davidoff Millennium Churchills from 2005 you've got a heck of a deal. Would they let you purchase the box, smoke one, and possibly return the remaining 9 cigars for $90 if they're not to your liking?

Eric

They were $26.99 a pop. Close to Boston prices. I am going to grab the box, take pictures and post a review. I guess I'll be the guinea pig. :laugh:

If you don't like them, I'm sure there would be other members of the forum who would be willing to join in the experiment! ;)

Just sell them in B/S/T for a tidy profit if they turn out to suck

Just sell them in B/S/T for a tidy profit if they turn out to suck

This is where Phil's Beedog marketing plan fails... You don't want to tell people they suck.

Just say that you need to make some room in your humi and that they are great, but your out of room and you need to purchase a new tent.

I would advise you to charge extra for shipping as Tom gets upset when you charge less than the actual cost!

Please remove the cello carefully. I will trade you some good cigars for it. ;)

I bought an 858 claro once. When I removed the cello, you could read "Flora Fina 858" on the cigar. Shadow effect from the printed cello.

Yup. It sucked. I smoked one at the shop. It was very flat and left a sour taste in the back of my throat. The construction was perfect though. The smoke smelled great but it that's about it. I got pictures that I'll post when I get to my house. Oh, well.

If something sounds to good to be true, it probably is!!! Where have I heard that before....

Joe,

Takes courage to do that. Barring good sense, no guts, no glory. I would have bought one myself.

I often wonder how those preembargo habanos, that folks pay a fortune for, taste.

But, now that you've determined that they are caca, is he still going to try to sell them?