• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Super Bowl Food...What Are You Making?

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
As is the tradition here at CP, those of us that like to cook check in to share Super Bowl menus before the big game. I was looking to switch things up a bit from our normal SB menu (chili, tons of homemade dips & salsa, beef & chicken quesadillas etc) so I've been experimenting with a few new things over the last few weekends to see what tasted the best. 

This year, besides the basics of Ray's Blu-Bacon Dip by the gallon, the Bacon Explosion, and the new Steak-in-a-Bowl....here is what I added so far.

1) Bacon wrapped Lil Smokies. This is so simple/fast to make and tastes incredible. I cut regular-sliced bacon into thirds to wrap them and that's plenty of bacon taste. The two key changes I made was to drain the Lil Smokies after cooking them for 20-25 minutes and then pop them back in the oven (400 degrees) as directed to crisp them up a bit. The second recommendation is to let them sit for 10-15 minutes before eating them. They are so hot when they first come out that the flavors don't all come through...after a few minutes of cooling, they are incredible!
LINK 

image_zps2dvfwhxh.jpg

2) Philly Cheese Steak Dip. I made this last weekend and it never made it to the family room in front of the TV for the game...it was THAT good. Follow the directions as is and the only changes I made were to use a thin-cut, sandwich steak (that was on sale at the market) and I found a shredded cheese combo of mozzarella/provolone and doubled it up to 8oz. Also, take the 8oz. package of cream cheese out of the fridge a good 2-3 hours before making this...it's got to be very soft to get the mayo fully mixed in along with the shredded cheese. For the bread, I used a loaf of Italian French bread and sliced it thin, placed them on a cookie sheet, and LIGHTLY toasted them in the oven at 400 degrees...don't make them too crispy. Some of the guys liked it on un-toasted bread too, so I'm doing both this time. A dash of hot sauce on them is fantastic! 
LINK

image_zpstvk06avg.jpg

3) White Bean & Chicken Chili. I've been making a version of this for 4-5 years now and this one is pretty good. The only changes I've made is to use some sweet red & orange peppers (in place of the chard or in addition to it...done both) and I've sometimes substituted a can of condensed Cream of Chicken soup to the liquid total along with some curry powder. Also, I use BOTH ground meat & diced chicken breasts or diced, boneless/skinless thighs...I like the two size meats in there. It's chili...everything goes, but I try not to make it like a beef chili...I keep this one sweeter and less tart (instead of using beer, green peppers, more chili powder, more cumin, etc. in the beef version). I've also made it with turkey, but I found it less flavorful.
LINK 

4) Cheese Bombs. These things taste great! The few changes I made was to completely cover them in melted butter and completely cover them in the dry ingredients by rolling them around in it...and to cook them a bit longer. The key here is to get the largest piece of cheese possible in the dough and still be able to pinch them completely closed, if not fully closed, the cheese will melt out in the baking. Also, if the cheese chunk is not large enough, you wind up with a hollow cavity in them with the cheese coating the inside walls. I've used all kinds of different cheeses...chunk Swiss, havarti, cheddar, provolone, pepper jack...whatever I have in my cheese drawer, they all tasted great. I've even used one of those wine-cheddar log things that is covered in walnuts and a goat cheese loaf that had cranberries and orange rind in it...those two were awesome! The texture of the nuts in the one and the added sweetness of the fruits in the second really was a nice departure to the all cheese versions.
LINK

image_zpsfu9wqo3g.jpg

5) Quinoa Enchilada Casserole. I always have to make a spicy, Mexican dish each year and this is what I'm making for the big game. I've only made it twice before and it came out great when I used this recipe. I still have no f'in idea what this quinoa sh*t is...but if you mix it in with enough other tasty stuff, it's actually palatable. I did add a few Roma tomatoes to the baked ingredients and at the end before serving along with the diced avocado. For chips, I usually scissor cut some soft tortillas into pie shaped chips and fry them in canola oil until light brown (1-2 minutes per side) to make a homemade chip. These are lighter, softer, and have much more flavor than store bought chips...not to mention less salty. With all the bacon, salt is not in short supply in this menu...keeps the beer flowing! 
LINK

OK guys, what are you all making for the Super Bowl this year? I still have more to make to feed the troops and looking for suggestions! 

Got a fry-o-lator for Christmas.  Gunna do buffalo chicken wings, french fries and chili- I'll be in bed by half time probably!

I think I am going to make deflated meatballs. You see what I did there?

ilikefishes said:
I think I am going to make deflated meatballs. You see what I did there?
You drew a parallel between your testicles and the meatballs?

Making a double batch of Crack in a bowl tomorrow and plan on ribs and pulled pork out of the BGE on Sunday.  Gotta start the pork butt at 5-6PM Saturday afternoon and slow cook it for 24 hours.

Probably fire up the smoker for some baby backs, and I'm sure something else will make it's way in there.    Probably my jalapeno poppers on the grill.    Not sure what else at this point.  Depends on what looks good at the store.

Bacon and cream cheese stuffed jalapeños with melted pepper jack cheese on top.
db58b5a4e30e545b2e31c117017d72f8.jpg

Paul