• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Surprised Cognac gets no love here....

Jan Primus

Hey dudes, I'm new here, and quite new to cigars. I've found cognac to be the perfect mate with a nice cigar, but see almost no mention of the French nectar on these boards. Is it not a great mate? Is scotch what ya'll prefer? I love premium tequila but don't find it a pleasant pairing with stogies, and for scotch I've tried very little to know anything...you guys like Cognac or what?

Even before I started doing Scotch reviews cognac wasn't mentioned very much so to answer your two questions. Yes, and apparently not. :cool:

Jan Primus said:
Is scotch what ya'll prefer? ...you guys like Cognac or what?
[snapback]200022[/snapback]​

There are a few cognac drinkers that should chime in but not too many.

Most of the nectar I can afford all tastes the same anyway so it doesn't really matter :sign:

Truethfully I prefer scotch over cognac simply because it is more widley available where I am from. Give me some Johnny Walker (any lable, this redneck aint picky) and stogie and I will be content.

I have tried to refine my taste to be able to talk drinks with the big dogs like our reverend AVB but it has yet to take form ;)

Reverend? I was shooting for revered. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AaronFromPA said:
I have tried to refine my taste to be able to talk drinks with the big dogs like our reverend AVB but it has yet to take form ;)
[snapback]200058[/snapback]​

well you are getting there lol. I thought reverened rather fitting considering the subject matter.

Cognac is nice with a cigar, but for me it's too pricey. Dark beer, coffee and occasionally port for me.

Frapin cognacs are great if I can find/afford them

I love almost all of the range of Camus products, Their Napolean is my goto drink,
the VSOP is good but is served well with tonic (odd I know, but good)

Pierre Ferrand makes some fine products I'm starting to try

Remy Martin is overated until you get to the EXTRA, have not had the Louis XIII yet

Hennesy is fine for long drinks, the XO is a great evening drink

Kelt makes some good stuff

A de. Fussigny makes a wonderful cigar blend. I still need to try other blends.

Cohiba cognac is actually from the Bisquit family and is a fine EXTRA, however, for the money buy Frapin.

Normand Mercier V.S.O.P. is adequate but not very round on the tongue

Hardy products have flavor but not very lush either, Red Corner is the rail cognac in my basement bar

Chalfonte makes a V.S.O.P. that is just different

IMHO as I am still getting started in cognacs. Anything else I should look for or try? let me know. :sign: