• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taboada handroll Double Robusto review

LGHT

Banned
Decided to smoke up a 3rd robusto last night with a buddy since he swore that he's only true pleasure are cohibas.

trobusto.JPG

As you can see the wrapper on these hand rolls are very dark and soft. The did show a slight lightly colored vein pattern, but the pre light draw was sweet and smooth. The wrapper has somewhat of a bright sheen that works well with the oily richness.

The foot has a tucked over wrapper that helped avoid from over lighting the vitola. The first draw is very smooth and sweet, that includes flavors home roasted cocoa leaves. I could taste a slight hint of creaminess close to a cohiba, but not that apparent. The first thought was that although the cigar is smooth and tasty it is a bit mild for a Cuban. The first few herfs where full of flavor as the cigar brought out a bit of earthy taste. I was still very impressed by the flavors yet, didn't find any bitter or harsh profiles. Very smooth and easy. The draw is slightly lighter than I prefer, but it wasn't a problem and didn't deter from enjoying the smoke. The halfway point was surprising as because the flavor profile seemed to get better without getting hotter or harsh whatsoever. It's not a complex cigar as I didn't catch any spice or pepper flavors, but it was very rich and creamy and had an almost perfect draw throughout. The last inch seemed to pick up a little bit of heat and the flavors where a lot darker, but still very rich and smooth.

My buddy was very surprised at the cigar, but still raves that even the 04' ELs are better for the dollar.

All in all if you prefer medium full flavored smokes this is at the top of it's class! If you prefer BBF's this isn't the smoke for you. I put it almost exactly the same profile of a Romeo Y Julieta Robustos Edicion Limitada 2001 as reviewed here.

RyJ Robusto EL 01'

Three thoughts about the posted picture.

I need a raise.

Those are some beauts!

Some day I'll get around to getting a bundle.

Very nice review LGHT! :thumbs: Makes me want to light up another one and I've already smoked 3 Taboadas today. :0 Great pics too! Those oily viens make them look all the more tasty! :D

indyrob said:
[snapback]220849[/snapback]​

That "someday" better be someday soon. :0 Taboada will only be around for another couple of weeks and then he will be totally retired and back in Cuba.

Thanks for the tease LGHT,
I cant wait to get my hands on some of these, after which I may have to take a sick day from work and drive down to Mexico.

This board is such a bad influence.

I was perfectly happy with swisher sweets before I found this board.

Damn you all !!

racing_fan said:
Thanks for the tease LGHT,
I cant wait to get my hands on some of these, after which I may have to take a sick day from work and drive down to Mexico.

This board is such a bad influence.

I was perfectly happy with swisher sweets before I found this board.

Damn you all !!
[snapback]221012[/snapback]​

hahaah i've never seen those words used together until now "perfectly happy swisher sweets"

I think we may have done you a HUGE favor :whistling:

indyrob said:
[snapback]220849[/snapback]​

That "someday" better be someday soon. :0 Taboada will only be around for another couple of weeks and then he will be totally retired and back in Cuba.

I heard he was in TJ a few weeks ago.
Anyone go down?
T :cool:

I heard he was in TJ a few weeks ago.
Anyone go down?
T :cool:

The prices were too high and they were not as good as they were in '05.

I've had only one '06 and don't plan on trying another for at least another year.

:cool:

I didn't get to sample any of the 06's so I have to wait till next year. I still have a few older ones in the humidor waiting to get torched.

Mmmmmmmm ..... Sounds like a good New Years Eve smoke Tony

:cool:

Naw, I got an aged cigar coming my way for that day :D