• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taking notes?

Eqwhipped

Whiskey is the flower of my people.
Hello all,
With the plethora of cigar choices out there and variety that can be had how do you track your smokes?

I have heard mentioned of spreadsheets on excel, cigar journal's or even phone apps.

I have never been good about keeping track of what I put in my mouth but thinking it's high time to start.

Cigar journals are great but look relatively cheap. I use leather bound journals with the vintage paper inside. Amazon has a plethora of choices. I usually get mine for about $15-$19. I have one for whiskey and one for cigars and another couple for work.

I dont keep track of my inventory. I guess that I’ve been at this long enough that I kinda know what brands/manufacturers/farms I like and try to hone in on what they make. That is when I’m not buying what is new. I’ll admit that I like to try the new thing.

All good ideas. I've tried on multiple occasions to keep track of what I smoked, both inventory and consumed, but it ends up falling by the wayside as soon as I start falling behind in my record keeping. If you are going to keep notes, I would definitely include as much information about the construction/composition of the cigar as you can so that you will be able to get to know what you like and why you like it. IMHO, unless you have an inventory like some of our more prolific buyers here (aged and rare), spreadsheets and other cataloging are only to help satisfy some underlying OCD you may have.

All good ideas. I've tried on multiple occasions to keep track of what I smoked, both inventory and consumed, but it ends up falling by the wayside as soon as I start falling behind in my record keeping. If you are going to keep notes, I would definitely include as much information about the construction/composition of the cigar as you can so that you will be able to get to know what you like and why you like it. IMHO, unless you have an inventory like some of our more prolific buyers here (aged and rare), spreadsheets and other cataloging are only to help satisfy some underlying OCD CDO you may have.
Fixed it for you, couldn’t stand to see them out of order…

I prolly have excessive OCD 🤣 'cause I keep up with my cigar hobby via three different Word files o_O

I have an 'inventory' Word file.
This list dates when I received the cigars, the vendor I purchased from, and the cost to my door for the box/sticks.
Also, whenever I smoke a stick, I subtract that stick from the total.

I have a 'monthly tracker' Word file.
This list is basically for a once a month dive into my storage set-up, for a physical count.
This is basically to reconcile cigar counts with my inventory Word file, just in case I failed to check off a stick(s) when consumed.
I also physically check all sticks for wrapper damage, progression of conditioning, check for signs of mold, and/or beetles.

I have a 'monthly consumption' Word file.
This is where I note a date, and what stick(s) I consume.
Also, I some times make a notation about the stick, if anything is particularly good, and/or bad.

It works for me & I have been doing this for years; OCD included. 🤣

I also forgot to mention: I NEVER plan to have any particular stick. I always play it by ear, I choose every stick randomly depending on what I'm thinking about at the time I wanna smoke. That is why I never dry box; it's all spur of the moment.

Last edited:
Whatever makes you happy. I'm pretty much a newbie and this is what I'm doing so far. @CBoukal has a system that is pretty cool from what I've seen. I just go with super basics. These are from the Dunburton's
I've had this year. For me a 91-100, I'd buy a box, 81-90 a fiver, 71-80 a stick, lower than that I never need to try again, but would never refuse a gift. Sometimes I add weather, when, where, what I was drinking, etc, etc... Again, find what makes you happy and go for it.

DT&T Mi Querida 652, 92, 5/5/21, liked a lot

DT&T Mi Queria mas Sucia, 88, 7/26/21 gifted from Mark L.

DT&T Muestra de Saka, NLMTHA, 88, 5/15/21, 6/5/21 vherf, enjoyed, but not worth the price

DT&T Sin Compromiso Seleccion Intrepido , 100, 3/8/21 Might be the best I’ve had, but XPNSV, 7/10/21 92

DT&T Sobremesa Robusto - 93, vherf, 3/6/21, 3/27/21

DT&T Sobremesa Brûlée 92 , 5/29/21 vherf,

DT&T Todos Las Dias, 92, liked, right in my wheelhouse, 5/4/21, 5/26/21, 7/6/21

DT&T Umbagoggang, 88, I’ve had several times and always like it

Whatever makes you happy. I'm pretty much a newbie and this is what I'm doing so far. @CBoukal has a system that is pretty cool from what I've seen. I just go with super basics. These are from the Dunburton's
I've had this year. For me a 91-100, I'd buy a box, 81-90 a fiver, 71-80 a stick, lower than that I never need to try again, but would never refuse a gift. Sometimes I add weather, when, where, what I was drinking, etc, etc... Again, find what makes you happy and go for it.

DT&T Mi Querida 652, 92, 5/5/21, liked a lot

DT&T Mi Queria mas Sucia, 88, 7/26/21 gifted from Mark L.

DT&T Muestra de Saka, NLMTHA, 88, 5/15/21, 6/5/21 vherf, enjoyed, but not worth the price

DT&T Sin Compromiso Seleccion Intrepido , 100, 3/8/21 Might be the best I’ve had, but XPNSV, 7/10/21 92

DT&T Sobremesa Robusto - 93, vherf, 3/6/21, 3/27/21

DT&T Sobremesa Brûlée 92 , 5/29/21 vherf,

DT&T Todos Las Dias, 92, liked, right in my wheelhouse, 5/4/21, 5/26/21, 7/6/21

DT&T Umbagoggang, 88, I’ve had several times and always like it
Yes this looks doable, the whole reason for myself is that I get a lot of one offs at smoke shops. Then when I go back I can never remember if I liked it.

I tried keeping the bands of the ones I liked but that ends up being a coffee can full of memories forgotten.

Think I'll try cigar scanner app. I have heard good things about it and it's on my always with me phone.