• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje The Face

To err is human, to smoke, divine.
After lots of work and moving, I finally got the chance to light up this evening. What better way to celebrate than to smoke a cigar I've been eager to try since I got them a few weeks ago. What follows is my long-winded review. For the abridged version, skip down to my summary.

Tatuaje - The Face

Length: 6 3/8"
Ring: 56
Wrapper: Mexico
Binder/Filler: Nicaragua

Accompanying Beverages: Red Table Wine (rich red fruit and lots of black cherry) and a glass of water.

gallery_6478_1413_49626.jpg

22:35
Prelight aroma: This cigar screams of Padron to me with its aroma. Wafts of chocolate mask subtle woodsy notes.

I begin by dissecting the head with my thumbnail to serve as a makeshift cut since I've misplaced my Palio and can't be bothered to look for it. Prelight draw is what I'd expect to taste in a PAM - stays chocolaty with an earthy undertone. Like moist dirt but more pleasant than it sounds.

22:40
I put flame to cigar and we're off. Once it's lit, I immediately get hit in the nose with way more spice than I anticipated. Recovering with a bit of water, I go back to the smoke to find a spicy, slightly dark chocolate beginning. The spice is welcome, but makes it rather challenging to exhale through the nose; thus, I'm finding it harder to pick up additional flavors. I'll smoke on and see how the first third develops.

22:45
The cigar is producing huge volumes of smoke, which is always pleasing on a sensory note. The giant ring gauge paired with a day of dry boxing is allowing me to take full 1-2 minute pauses between draws without the cigar losing much life. I decided to dry box because the cigars felt a bit on the humid side when I got my box a couple weeks ago and I find I like most of Pete's smokes to be kept on the drier side.

22:56
We're about a half inch into the cigar now. I find this is when I can really begin to judge how the first third is going to play out. The overwhelming spice has (thankfully) died down to a more manageable level. I'm able to exhale partially through the nose and enjoy some flavor. Most notable among them is a sort of woody tobacco taste followed with an afterthought of dark chocolate. This is really an enjoyable and full bodied smoke so far, despite continuing to be a bit too spicy for my taste. I'm finding that with this particular smoke, tempting as it is to take a big draw, sipping it provides a much smoother, more agreeable taste.

23:19
I feel like the second 1/3 is developing a bit early in the length of the cigar. I'm about an inch and a half in and the flavor changes are becoming quite pronounced. A patch of the light tobacco 'band' has flaked off despite gentle handling. The flavors I'm getting have shifted to introduce more spice and a bit of earth and nuttiness. Heavy leather at the back of the palette on the finish. The aroma of the smoke has a bit of fresh roasted coffee, though it's nowhere to be found in the taste. The complexity of the flavors in each puff is refreshing.

00:18
1:40 into the cigar and we're finally into the final third. The flavor changes into the last third have happened more subtly than the last change. Most notably, coffee and earth are now present in the palette and a cedar spice has started up with more fervor. Still leathery on the finish, now with black pepper. The cigar is getting a bit harsh and I sense it's drawing to a close (with about 2.5" left). A purge temporarily relieves the developing bitterness but didn't last too long.

00:28
Done.

Summary
This cigar was way more powerful than I anticipated. I would have welcomed this kind of power a year or two ago, but now I find a more medium bodied, smoother smoke more pleasing. The flavors were very powerful. Early on with wood, tobacco, dark chocolate and spice, gave way to earth and nuts with a leathery finish, and finally coffee and pepper. The flavors are all over the place, but the way they developed made the cigar feel consistent from start to finish.

My final take is of mixed feelings. I'm impressed with the flavor and power of the cigar, but find it lacking balance. I'm very curious what age will do to this cigar, and hope it finds a way to mellow and blend more. The cigar started off reminding me of a Padron; I was quickly reminded that this wasn't the smooth, velvety smoke of Padron but the more spicy, powerful smoke characteristic of Tatuaje. Overall I enjoyed the cigar and would recommend it to all, but the price point is the only factor holding me back. I'm not sure why, but I feel it's more competitive in the realm of an $8-9 cigar. I guess that's what marketing and limited releases does to a price point, though.

I'm glad to have a few of these to hold on to and experience over the next year or two. I think they have a lot of potential and can't wait to try again in a little while.

Fantastic review Matt! Spot on with this cigar IMO. Strange how our palate's change over time as I too am liking more of a medium/full than right out full. I've a feeling with a couple/few years age, the power of these will mellow, probably hasn't finish fermenting yet. :D

Is that the band? The light brown ring? Or is that where the band peeled off the wrapper when you removed it from the cigar?

Well done Matt. Sounds like it might be worth visiting in two or three years when it's not so schizo.

Every one I have seen looks like that. I think it's the wrapper.

Nice review Matt. Even though you didn't finish the smoke :laugh:

Is that the band? The light brown ring? Or is that where the band peeled off the wrapper when you removed it from the cigar?

It's how Pete wanted the band to look. Its just a strip of lighter shade tobacco wrapped around the cigar.

It's how Pete wanted the band to look. Its just a strip of lighter shade tobacco wrapped around the cigar.

I think I read it's supposed to be like the "leather face" that he wore in the movies.

Nice review. Think I'll wait a little while before taking a flame to mine.

Refer to post # 8
Check that Trolls sig. Not sure who he was? search. You will not be sorry.

Are you kidding, light the fugger up now to celebrate life.
Who are you keeping them for, your son? They will taste like shit in 15 to 25 years time.
I smoke, my best cigars all the time. Live in the moment guys.

Now I am unsure If i should smoke one I got or save it.

BTW Love you Sneeeeeeedddddssssss
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

After eating my words about the ring gauge being too big for me to want to search them out, I ended up obtaining a 5'ver and lit one up. I can't pick out all those flavors but I can say it was a really good smoke!

I ended up smoking mine past the wrapper/band and during that short time, the extra wrapper made it taste sweet, which throughout the smoke I could not pick out. Gave the cigar a little twist at the end for me.

I rarely save anything for long time dont know why I would do same with these. I went out and got few more to share with friends.

Had one last night with two friends who also had the same. First thing that is striking is the construction - a well rolled figurado with unique cap. Densely rolled and smoked longer than I expected. Great flavor - nothing harsh or bitter - just great robust taste all the way through. Much better than the Barcley Rex I recently tried.

John