• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuajes with Age

FlyingPanther

Reaction score
I was just wondering how the Tatuajes have been aging since they have been out for a year and half or so? I have a love hate relationship with the brand. Some of their cigars i have had (especially the especiales) have been some of the best i have smoked. But i have also run into some consistency issues with the reservas. Bad burn, strange flavor profiles, etc. I would just like to here some thoughts about this brand since they now have been on the market for a while.

Nic

I've got some Regio's that have about 6 month on them not exactly a year but they've gotten better. I put them in im lower RH humi. Some sticks just smoke well lower.

I smoked almost all the sizes and have not had any burn issues that was not my fault during humidor switches etc etc.If you find that taste you cant place as being sour or rancid,it may have been too moist or got a bit moldy,maybe even alot of mold.

I never had a problem smokeing them from the shelves at 68-70%rh and I keep things between 65-70 in my enviroment and have not noticed problems.I find Tatuaje's too be smooth and flavorful without that young raw flavor out of the box or early but yes they do get smoother and sweeter with over a year on them.

The lil cohetes are a bit rougher and do better with some age.
Most of the shops that sell Tatuaje's here dont sell them out fast and some sizes have been there on the shelves for over a year,I think they are so much better,very sweet and smooth.

Some say they do better dryer but I am not a fan of dry cigars,to me,anything under 65%rh is too dry for me.

Don't give up on the Tatuaje's,they are a great cigar and imo,the closest to a cuban you can get in a NC cigar.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the replies. I really enjoy the Tatuaje flavors just seems that have had a bit of bad luck with the construction recently. I definately will not be giving up on this line though.

I had a bad spell with the RC184's. I was given the advice to store them at a lower RH so I tossed them in my desktop humi at 65%. Four months later and they were smoking like a dream!

Nate

I've been aging a couple of boxes of Tainos and Especiales from '04 and they're outstanding. They age VERY well. These cigars are built to last for many, many years.

Does anybody with more willpower than I want to chime in with an update on how the Tatuajes (or other DPG creations) are aging?

I can't keep my hands off any that come into my possession.

edit for typo

Does any body with more willpower than I want to chime in with an update on how the Tatuajes (or other DPG creations are aging?)

I can't keep my hands off any that come into my possession.
Tat's / DPG's are aging nicely and smoking better and better as the months go by.

I will say that like most ISOM's I've had, these smokes do much better when stored and smoked at 62-65% than higher RH's. Very true to their heritage, it would seem.... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I recently smoked a Tainos from '05 and unfortunately, the wrapper was still fireproof.

I have some 14 month old Regios and 13 month old Cojonu 2003's and they definitely have aged nicely. I just had a Regios last weekend and it was tasty!

I've had several with at least a year of aging on them and they age beautifully. I really have to exercise restraint to let them sit, but I am continuing to do so and have some boxes that I won't be cracking into for probably another year or so.

I have about 6 left out of a box of Cazadores from June 06. They are in the top 5 of all the sticks I have in my humidor - they're really good.

I recently smoked a Tainos from '05 and unfortunately, the wrapper was still fireproof.
You need to be storing these at a lower RH...65% or less, really. If you're aging them at 70%, then set aside a few in a "ready-to-smoke" humidor for a few weeks to let them dry out a bit. I had the same problem at first until I began to employ this technique.

Funny, I have not really given much thought to aged Tats. I love these smokes right away...I suppose there are a few in my box that I should get to.