• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

temperature control

74-1021679779

we touched base a couple days ago on this topic. now I'm getting paranoid about it. I live in south Texas and keeping my humi at 70 deg or lower is tough. I've never had a problem with beetles however I dont want to chance it. I always maintain 70% hum and my puros always smoke + taste great, but like I said I'm getting paranoid. Any handy ways short of refrigeration to bring the temp down? (my wife gets cold too easy and refuses to allow the a/c below 75 deg) :lookup:

I remember a while ago, I found a link to a humidor for sale in a "Yahoo Store" It cost something in the neighborhood of $150,000.00. But it stored around 500 cigars, had heat & AC. Active humidity control, and if you plugged a phone line into it, the humidor would call it manufacturer (in Sweden, I think) if it detected any problems, and they could fix it from there.

I think that would fix all your problems. If you're interested, I'll try and track down the link for you!

LMFAO

Oh, and yes, I'm being totally serious about this - this humidor really exists.

Dave :D

Hell yes,, a Humador you could telnet into.. or use SSH,, but,, if somebody hacks your humador you'll have 500 ruined cigars,, but at 150k i think the company would probably pick up the tab for them. It'd be cheaper to make the wife sleep outside.. hehe.. Or get her a blanket

Jason, I used to live in Houston and man, it was incredibly tough to keep my humidor cool. I keep the thermostat on about 75 degrees, so usually my humidor is about that as well. The only solution I could come up with is to smoke the things within a couple of weeks.

Now that I am in the greater Dallas area it's a bit better, but it still is a big problem. One thing that gives us an advantage though is the fact that while my buddies back in Detroit are freezing their a$$e$ off in December, I am smoking a nice figurado in the hot tub!

I'm in Dallas also.. Isnt too hard to keep the ambient around 70-75,, really depends on what part of the house you keep your humidor in i suppose... try the east side of the house so it's tha fartherest away from the direct west hot afternoon sun.

I live in Key West, so temp and humidity is always a concern. I don't know how your house/apt is set up but here is my opinion, take it with "a grain of salt test". Pick 1 room out of the house, preferably the smallest or the one she doesn't spend much time in and open the ac vents. In the rest of the house close the vents so they are 3/4 closed, then drop the temp on the ac by 5 degrees...

Emo

emodx said:
I live in Key West, so temp and humidity is always a concern. I don't know how your house/apt is set up but here is my opinion, take it with "a grain of salt test". Pick 1 room out of the house, preferably the smallest or the one she doesn't spend much time in and open the ac vents. In the rest of the house close the vents so they are 3/4 closed, then drop the temp on the ac by 5 degrees...

Emo
really good idea

Freeze all your sticks...... of course you need to put things into prospective first. A lot has to do with how many sticks do you keep..... what kind of smokes.... etc etc

If you have a lot of $$ in your stash and keep a good # of sticks in one place then you should freeze them. There is a right way and plenty of wrong ways to freeze them. Penty of info on the net about freezing your smokes... if you can't find it let me know and I'll find a link for ya.

My humi's lurk around 72 to 76 degree's during the summer no matter how low I turn my A/C. (Houston area) I usually isolate new smokes in a smaller humi for a month or two before introducing them into my main humi.

thanks for the ideas. bother dave I'm gonna get that $150,000.00 humi. Kicking the wife out not an option (7 months pregnant) anyone ever think about buying a small fridge and putting your humi inside. this is possibly stupid but I pondered it, too much humidity would seep inside right.

maybe after the crumbsnatcher is born I'll kick her out!
to quote lee bo......

"bwaaaaaaaaaaaa"
:sign: :sign: :sign:

hehe,, well if you kick her out either way it'd probably be cheaper in the 18 years of child support longrun to buy the 150k humi

I guess I'll have to keep her she puts up with the cigar smoking(God she hates it! Litterallly HATES it) but child support is more that keeping her. All that extra money for puros for my online bros........... :)

What are you thinking?? 150K for a humidor??? Dont know how it is where you are but for WAAAAY less than that you could hire an illegal migrant worker here who would check your humi status every hour and add ice/ monitor humidity on a 24/7 basis!!! Work at it and you can even get one who would SING to your wife during the 55 minutes between humidor checks.. and all for around 2.50 an hour!!

That would be say 4$ an hour fo4 24 hours... that is 72 $ a day... roughly 10 years personal service.. and you could teach him to do other things like do the laundry, clean the house etc!
:D :D

I'm not leaving Paco at home alone with my wife.ha.ha.ha

shes just here to clean the house honey!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

Now That Jason my friend is an idea!!!! ( I think I can afford one!!!) Give up one cigar a week.......... presto! :D

Instant....er........ maid! yeah thats it! maid!

Allofus123 said:
Freeze all your sticks...... of course you need to put things into prospective first. A lot has to do with how many sticks do you keep..... what kind of smokes.... etc etc

If you have a lot of $$ in your stash and keep a good # of sticks in one place then you should freeze them. There is a right way and plenty of wrong ways to freeze them. Penty of info on the net about freezing your smokes... if you can't find it let me know and I'll find a link for ya.

My humi's lurk around 72 to 76 degree's during the summer no matter how low I turn my A/C. (Houston area) I usually isolate new smokes in a smaller humi for a month or two before introducing them into my main humi.
Kenny. Call me when you get a chance. :thumbs: