• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Temperature Controller Wire Routing - Edgestar 28

MrAnderson41

Cool Story 'Bro!
When I set up my Edgestar back in December it was cool enough in the house that I haven't had to plug it in. I figured I'd address the temperature issue when it came. Well, it's been exceptionally warm here in Michigan for March so it really shouldn't have surprised me to see the temperature creeping above 70 degrees this morning.

I purchased the Edgestar knowing full well that the analog controller that it comes with isn't set up for precise temperature control and I'm fine with that. However, I'd still really like to have the precise temperature control that an Electronic Temperature Controller provides. I've hesitated to purchase an ETC mainly because I don't want to drill holes into the cabinet of the Edgestar thereby voiding the warranty.

My question is, for those BOTL's that have an Edgestar, mine is a 28 bottle model, have you found any clever ways of running the wiring for the temperature probe of an ETC without having to drill holes through the cabinet?

Depening the make/model of ETC you chose, the wire for temperature probe is typically pretty thin. You should be able to run it underneath or on the side of the unit and then tape it down on the front rim of the unit. The magnetic weatherstriping aroud the rim of the door is flexible enough where it won't damage the wire and will still seal the door and keep it cooler inside.

Cutting a little hole in the folds of the weatherstripping would void the warranty u think? All u would need is a tiny 7or 8 mm hole to feed the probe thru... if u can manage that, then u can get a prewired Ranco with heavy guage power wiring and outlet strip..

or I u cant cut the hole, the a johnson controller has prety thin wirimg, but not 100% sure if u can get a prewired..

I saw a picture of what I think is a pretty decent set up over at BOTL. I actually ordered a Ranco, and since I can't seem to think of a better way of doing it, I planning on drilling a hole in the back of the unit through the where the drain line comes out of the back of the unit. I'll use some aquarium tubing to re-route the condensation and that tubing will share the same hole as the one drilled for the Ranco (don't know if that makes sense but the pictures I've seen make it look simple, clean, and have a low risk of damaging something).

Thanks for the input guys.