• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TESA Boutique Reserva Real

Rate this review

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

SiShong

Yeah, Um, Something, Yeah
reservareal654sw7.jpg

Visit TESA Cigars

I sat down to review this cigar with a clean palette and nothing to drink, hoping to get the most out of the cigar without masking it with other flavors while smoking. This is not my first experience with this blend, however, it is with this vitola.

Pre-light
A nicely rolled torpedo, 6 ½ x 54, with a very good structure, just firm enough from tip to capa, wrapper is mildly dark brown, with a few slightly brighter lines running along the few prominent veins, smooth and a slight oily sheen.

Cut and Lighting
I cut with a straight cut (which I would always recommend), snipped about 1/3 of an inch off the end, leaving just under a 1/2 inch to draw. This one took a bit to light, and started with a small run on each side, possibly due to my torch. No blistering or bowing present. The initial draw is a bit difficult.

Smoking
Initial flavor is mild with a bit of sweetness to it. The draw remained a bit tight and wasn’t giving me the rich smoke I had with the other vitolas I had tried, very easy on the throat with the occasional inhalation. First ash doesn't fall until it's almost 1 ½ inch, the run from the initial lighting evened out (with a slight touch up and some rotation). Once that first bit of ash fell, the cigar opened up and I started getting the smoke I remembered from the other vitolas. The oiliness was present with an a very distinct floral quality, almost like hibiscus (?) I’m not a flower guy, but I swear that’s a hibiscus flavor which was thoroughly enjoyable. As seems to be the case with the other TESA’s I have had as the stick burned, the flavor and smoke changed very discreetly, giving every now an then there would be a sweet explosion, while holding the floral flavor, and randomly almost instinctively throwing in a bit of hearty earth and espresso when the sweetness was ready to overpower. The flavor continued to progress and change in distinctive ways not so much switching between the flavors as melting them together in differing intensities as the stick grew shorter. The burn was very even after that first touch up with no further touches needed, and no tunneling. The stick softened as it burned but maintained it’s integrity although the cherry burned at an angle at the end. The finish was nice and left some interestingly complimentary flavor combinations as well as a kick of peppery spice. The combination of sweet flowers and earth, combined with the mild smoke was incredibly good. The oiliness of the cigar did not overwhelm my mouth and allowed for the full compliment of flavors to expand.

The ash was a light gray, on the outside, with a slightly darker core. The ash remained fairly intact, the initial ash fell after 1 ½ inch, the rest of the stick fell more frequently, in the entire hour I was smoking the ash fell 5 times.

The in-room aroma was a sweet pleasant one that I don’t think would bother non-smokers, or at least wouldn’t bring the complaints that most other sticks would.

Conclusion
OK so I was scared at first, with the trouble I had getting it to go, simply because I had had a few of the other vitolas, namely the 650 without a single issue. I began to think that I should not have chosen the Torpedo to review, but I wanted to stay consistent. Well my fears were in vain, as the cigar evened out and the draw opened, as well as the burn evening out.
The stick was very interesting, the flavors continued to blend and compliment each other, they never really changed but they evolved from the first draw till the end. The smoke started thin and then grew thicker as the stick burned down, very medium and easy on the throat. My overall impression is that this is a very well thought out and flavorful cigar.

I enjoyed it and would certainly recommend it to both a beginning smoker, looking for an example of flavorful medium cigar, as well as a seasoned smoker, looking for something unique and original. While I have not smoked many CC’s there is something about this stick that seems to evoke a similar profile as some of them. I would have to recommend either the Real 650 or the Real 644 over this vitola however, as I have never had any issues with them, the flavor profile is the same, but the burn and construction are much nicer.

Wrapper - 4 out of 5
Filler - 4 out of 5
Burn - 3 out of 5
Construction - 3 out of 5
Flavor - 5 out of 5
Vitola - 3 out of 5
Smoke - 4 out of 5
Overall - 3 out of 5
(My disclaimer is that the Real 650 gets a 4 out of 5)

*edited to add poll

Hey man, nice review.

Trying to remember back to the Reserva Real you handed me last weekend, it was a Churchill size, no?

Burn:
- perfect. I mean, literally. The draw was easy and consistent throughout. The wrapper and binder and filler were a TEAM. I nearly nubbed it after we left. I could pick up my draws, and then let it sit for a longer bit, and the draw was hardly effected.

Flavors:
- I am with you on the floral, don't know if I can get as detailed as hibiscus :). The floral flavors were there, but no where near say an RyJ CC.
- along with the floral I got a sense of "green" in general, but not in a bad way. in a light, fresh and interesting way, as opposed to grassy or harsh.
- I did not get much earthiness, but I may be insensitive to it since I have been smoking mostly CC's lately.
- very little bitterness build up, or souring, towards the end. that may be this cigar's biggest achievement.
- a little bit creamy, just barely
- and just the slightest hint of sweetness for me.
- for me the flavors were consistent throughout, no real bursts of anything in particular. probably an attestment to the even burn, I usually get bursts when the wrapper is going in and out.

Overall:
- I think this smoke is more about casual enjoyment, more than an intense experience. Not terribly engaging, but yummy and a solid performer. Perfect for smoking at the shop, or a party.

I got another vitola lined up, can't wait to smoke it. Tho I'll probably be back at the Tesa shop lighting one up before I get to it. :) That shop is by far the most comfortable setting to smoke in the city IMO (city limits yall). And free!

Nice review. Thanks...Sox fan. :sign: