• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thanks to Wilkey

Rob_k

If it ain't Scottish...it's crap!
Wilkey's "Wrapper Moisturizing" technique works extremely well. I had a gifted cigar with a cracked wrapper, I used his technique to save the smoke, the cigar didn't split, nor become harsh. A huge thank you to Wilkey for his sharing if this technique, it saves smokes.
Rob

Who is Wilkey? :sign:

I wonder how long it's going to take until someone asks about Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing ???

Brian

I've used the method a few times before stepping out to the harsh environment of the dry, winter garage. It seems like a crazy thing to do, but I've had no split wrappers. :thumbs:

Who is Wilkey? :sign:

I wonder how long it's going to take until someone asks about Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing ???

Brian

As the new guy Brian, I'll bite.

WTH is Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing Technique?!?!?

Basically this:
With the cold dry weather (if you puff outside like I do), cigars wrappers tend to unravel or split / crack. What Wilkey suggested is to turn on your faucet to a light stream and place your cigar under said stream for a few seconds, just enough to get the wrapper lightly damp. Put the cigar on a piece of paper towel, and blot dry. Viola, no more split wrappers, works like a charm.
...or you could use the Moki technique and put astroglide on the cigar and Lewinski it, whatever you prefer.
Hope this helps,
Rob

WTH is Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing Technique?!?!?

Searching didn't turn up anything... ?? ;)

LOL, I been there, did that! :p

I searched "Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing Technique" and got about 1,000 hits with nothing relevant, then searched "Wrapper Moisturizing Technique" and only got this thread...

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...ng+Technique%5C

Alas, CP's search function must be re-tooled... Or maybe it senses my Newbie fingers and has plotted against me! :sign: :sign: :sign:

Basically this:
With the cold dry weather (if you puff outside like I do), cigars wrappers tend to unravel or split / crack. What Wilkey suggested is to turn on your faucet to a light stream and place your cigar under said stream for a few seconds, just enough to get the wrapper lightly damp. Put the cigar on a piece of paper towel, and blot dry. Viola, no more split wrappers, works like a charm.
...or you could use the Moki technique and put astroglide on the cigar and Lewinski it, whatever you prefer.
Hope this helps,
Rob
Just to add to Rob's explanation.

Do this BEFORE you cut the cap, with the head facing up so no water finds it's way into the foot.

I prefer to use spring water, from a bottle is also good. If I pull out a stick and the wrapper looks fragile in any way, I run water over it, no matter what the weather is doing. Prof Wilkey, is not a Prof for nothing.

Use the advanced search feature, put keywords in the left box and the persons handle in the right box, if you know who and what you are searching for.However, I do agree,
the search function could be a little more user friendly.

Brian

Does this method have any effect on the burn of the cigar? Tunnelling, uneven burn, etc?

I'm guessing since both Wilkey and Brian endorse this it probably doesn't, but I just wanted to check.

Basically this:
Hope this helps,
Rob
Just to add to Rob's explanation.

Do this BEFORE you cut the cap, with the head facing up so no water finds it's way into the foot.

I prefer to use spring water, from a bottle is also good. If I pull out a stick and the wrapper looks fragile in any way, I run water over it, no matter what the weather is doing. Prof Wilkey, is not a Prof for nothing.

Use the advanced search feature, put keywords in the left box and the persons handle in the right box, if you know who and what you are searching for.However, I do agree,
the search function could be a little more user friendly.

Brian
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm not sure the term "Wilkey's Wrapper Moisturizing Technique" has been used before this thread with much regularity. I think the search doesn't work well sometimes because a lot of times we're too specific in our search. It takes a little work to really find what you're looking for sometime, but I think that's to be expected given the HUGE amount of information here at CP.

It also helps if people search for Ginseng's posts instead of Wilkey's...

Does this method have any effect on the burn of the cigar? Tunnelling, uneven burn, etc?

I'm guessing since both Wilkey and Brian endorse this it probably doesn't, but I just wanted to check.
None what so ever, if anything, in my case, they burn straighter.
Rob