• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

That slippery slope known as Single Malt Scotch...

Genevapics

(I posted this on a few other forums and thought I would share it here)

I had an opportunity to sample a few single malts this past monday, MLK's birthday, at an establishment in West Chester, Pa named "Teca". Nice little establishment that still allows indoor smoking. I am not sure if they allow cigar smoking, as I did not ask, but will certainly find out before my next trip. Anyway, this place had a nice assortment of single malts and I decided to do a little sampling.

My first scotch was the Glenmorangie Port Wood 12 yr. I had the bartender serve the single malt in a copita glass, instead of a brandy snifter.

The Glenmorangie had a beautiful straw color to it. Upon nosing, the beverage provided me with a faint hint of oranges and butterscotch. Upon tasting, my palate was greeted with a sweet orange flavor. The Glenmorangie was smooth with very little bite. While not as complex as the Macallan 18, it was definitely a nice scotch and something that I would certainly purchase for my collection.

The second single malt of the evening was the Talisker 10 yr. This scotch had a slightly darker straw color than the Glenmorangie. From what I have read, the Talisker is supposed to be a fine representation of the Island malts, which are known for their briny, sea weedy, medicinal, and peaty aromas. My first nosing proved this to be true; I now know what medicinal means! Wow! As soon as I nosed the Talisker, the thought of a medicine cabinet came to mind. The second and third nosing’s brought about thoughts of Band-Aid bandages. But why? The thought of going to the bathroom (as a young child), opening the medicine cabinet and reaching for the Band-Aids was deeply ingrained in my mind. Again, why?

I looked at my girlfriend, who was conveniently talking on her cellphone and motioned to her to nose the scotch. She did, wrinkled her nose and finished her call. She looked at me like I was crazy and asked, “What is that?” I shrugged and asked her what did she smell. She nosed it again and replied, “Iodine.” Bingo! It all made sense now. Medicine cabinet. Band-Aids. Mecuricrome. The iodine smell of the Talisker reminded me of the ritual I went through, as a young child, when I scraped my knee.

So there I sat, looking at the glass of Talisker, contemplating my next move. Evidently, the look on my face was enough for my girlfriend to respond, “You don’t have to drink it if you don’t like it.” “No”, I said, “That’s why we are here.” I took a sip of the Talisker. The taste was very strong and medicinal. And if there was peat or brine, I could not taste it; the iodine was just too strong. I took a few more sips, but could drink no more than about half the glass.

Unfortunately the Talisker 10 yr is not for me. An acquired taste? Maybe, but how does one acquire a taste for iodine unless the blood of Sir William Wallace courses through your veins? Since I can’t trace any of my roots back to Sir William, I think I will pass on the Talisker 10 yr for the time being.

The final single malt of the night, was the Lagavulin 16 yr. This is another scotch that I have heard people rave about. This one was the darkest of the three; almost Gran Mariner in color and viscousity. Upon nosing, the iodine was there, but not as prevalent as the Talisker. In fact, this was tolerable. The Lagavulin tasted slightly sweet along with the medicinal/iodine aromas. And viscous. If I remember correctly, this was the most viscous of the three.

I need to sample the Lagavulin 16 yr again. While not quite my cup of tea, I think I could acquire a taste for this single malt (maybe I do have a little scottish in me). It will certainly take awhile though.

All in all it was an enjoyable evening.

I know you're new but I've done a number of reviews you may find interesting

It's because of some of your reviews that I am now in my current situation. I have purchased 5 bottles of Single Malt in the last two-three weeks. They are:

Macallan 12 yr
Bruchladdich 10 yr
Highland Park 12 yr
Scapa 14 yr (I wanted the 12 yr)
Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak

Damn you AVB. At some point in time, I would like to roll on out to York and share a dram or two with you. I'm here in Newark, De.

I've been eyeing Talisker 10 as my next scotch purchase based on several reviews I have read, mainly AVB's. I think I'll make a ponit to actually try this one before buying a bottle. I'll be in Vegas in 4 weeks I'm sure I can find it there.

Did you like both bottles of The Macallan?

I'm with you on the Talisker. Don't like it at all. The Lagavulin will grow on you though.

I've been eyeing Talisker 10 as my next scotch purchase based on several reviews I have read, mainly AVB's. I think I'll make a ponit to actually try this one before buying a bottle. I'll be in Vegas in 4 weeks I'm sure I can find it there.

Did you like both bottles of The Macallan?

The Macallan 18 yr is fabulous! At $130/bottle it is not an everyday scotch, at least for me. In addition, I only have a dram or two on the weekends. Still, I thought it prudent to find something in the $40-60 range as an every weekend sort of scotch. Therefore, on recommendations from people around the internet, various reading and much tasting, I decided on the Macallan 12 yr and the Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak. I like each in their own right. The 12 yr is a Sherry Wood scotch. Good, more alcohol 18 yr, but a very good value. The 15 yr Fine Oak has wonderful notes of coconut, pineapple, vanilla and other exotic fruits. It also is a wonderful scotch, different than Macallan's main line, but wonderful all the same.

I will provide reviews on the 5 bottles that are now in my collection in the next few weeks.

Hope this helps.

P.S. My best tip that I can offer is to find a good bar(s) that has a nice collection of single malts/blends and sample. Sample over several days or weeks. By sampling, you are able to taste and find out which scotch you like and which you do not like. Definitely sample; had I purchased a bottle of Talisker 10 yr I would have been upset... right now I cannot drink the Talisker.

P.S. My best tip that I can offer is to find a good bar(s) that has a nice collection of single malts/blends and sample. Sample over several days or weeks. By sampling, you are able to taste and find out which scotch you like and which you do not like. Definitely sample; had I purchased a bottle of Talisker 10 yr I would have been upset... right now I cannot drink the Talisker.

We are on the same page here. I have yet to buy a bottle of scotch that I didn't enjoy and this in the main reason.

My every weekend pour is Macallan 12. I have sampled everything in the Sherry Oak line from the 12 to the 30 year several times. I have sampled the fine oak line from 10 to 21 year and find I prefer the Sherry Oak line. I've been reading up on the difference and hope to give my opinions/reviews after my next sojourn to Las Vegas where these varieties are readily available.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion(s).

Genevapics,
If you're searching for a good everyday Single Malt, I suggest you try the Balvenie 12 yr. old. As much as I'm biased in working for that company, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in both quality, and price.

Michael

Genevapics,
If you're searching for a good everyday Single Malt, I suggest you try the Balvenie 12 yr. old. As much as I'm biased in working for that company, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in both quality, and price.

Michael
No bias! Honest! ;)

Out of all the hundreds of possible single malt profiles, I find it a bit daunting. I found out I don't like the real heavy peat ones; but, some peat is excellent. I know iodine is not a flavor I'm seeking, though! :D

Everyday-wise, I enjoy some of Aberlour's stuff. And the a'bunadh is very tasty and strong, too! :thumbs: