• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The American Classic Whiskey

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
This is the third review in the series of American Bourbon, Rye and Whiskey

Jack Daniels Old No. 7, square bottle, 750ml, 80 proof, $16-20.

Jack%20Daniels%20No7.JPG

Undoubtably the most popular American whiskey in this country and perhaps the best known one in the world. Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon as most people think but it is a filtered Tennessee whiskey. Every drop of JD goes through 10 feet of suger maple charcoal before being casked. Doing this sweetens the finished product much like the chared casks that bourbon is stored in.

Make no mistake, JD is not a refined sipping drink that you savor every complex drop. Mainly because it isn't that complex, it is a big rough drink that puts the taste of caramel and chared wood right up front. Best over ice if you must or mixed with just about anything. Of course, the straight from the bottle option is fairly popular too. :D

To me JD is the place to start your expieriance with whiskey, the sweetness appeals to the younger drinkers IMO. Hopefully, the complexities of bourbon or aged rye will be appreciated as time goes on but for some drinkers they never quite get there. JD must be doing something right based on their sales but they don't get as much of my money as they did 30 years ago. Still, it is hard to pass up a JD & coke on a warm summer night.

Like a bottle of Jim Beam white label, everybody should have some Old No. 7 in their liquor cabinet.

Jack Daniels is one of the great sippin whiskeys. It mixes well and is good on the rocks. Ever tried a Lynchburg Lemonaid? mmmmmmgood. Being from Tennessee I might be a little partial to this particular whiskey. Nice review. :thumbs:

Nice review. I've tried and tried but I just can't get on board with this Tennessee whiskey. I prefer every bourbon I've tried over JD. Consider a review on Jim Beam Black if you get the chance. I love the stuff :D

lucasbuck said:
Consider a review on Jim Beam Black if you get the chance. I love the stuff :D
Ditto on the JB Black  :thumbs: it's a hard one to beat!

AVB, just wanted to mention it, since I haven't spoken up earlier, your American Spirit Reviews are much apreciated!!  :thumbs:  

What is your opinion on Woodford Reserve? The shop near me has it for $26. is it worth it?

lbrief:
Thank you for the kind words. $26 is a decent price for Woodford, I've seen it for a buck or two cheaper but usually it is in the $28 range. Eventually I'll do a review on it and the Jim Beam Black that Lucasbuck wanted.

I would say that before buying a bottle of anything that you've never had, find a bar and try a shot first. If that isn't possible then ask for opinons but remember, what I like may not be what you like.

AVB said:
I would say that before buying a bottle of anything that you've never had, find a bar and try a shot first.
Excellent idea :thumbs: My club stocks a wide variety of bourbons including the Woodford. Can you believe I never even thought of this? :p Unfortunately their scotch selection is pitiful but I guess that is to be expected considering the cost involved.

yes excellent review.
Jack Daniels Old No. 7 was always a favorite of mine.