• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Bar

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
I was asked about this and while there is an older thread about it I though it was time for an update. The goal is to have a well stocked bar in 25 bottles or less. Let's face it, 25 bottles us far more then most people have so even that may be a bit high. Here is what I choose and the reasoning behind it.

Vodka - 2 Something to mix and something better for Martinis or shots
Tequila - 2 Something to mix and something to sip
Bourbon - 2 Still on the mix- sip thing
Port - 1 - Always good
Cognac - 1 Have to have some class
Scotch - 3 A mixer, a Highland or Speyside and an Islay
Tennessee Whiskey - 1 Some people gotta have their Jack although George Dickel is better
Rum - 3 A mixer, a sipper and a spiced
Something Orange - 1 Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Gran Gala, Triple Sec.....whatever
Canadian - 1
Bitters - 1
Vermouth - 2 Sweet and dry
Gin - 1
Kaluha - 1
Other - 3 Jager, Peach etc

That totals 25. Anybody else with a different or better list?

I agree with everything there save two things I would add in the other category. You need to have Irish cream and Kahlua. With the use of those two and the other bottles mentioned you could really expand your drink choices further.

What do you keep around for mixers?

I keep:
Coke
Diet Coke
Sprite
Simple Syrup
Sour Mix
Pineapple Juice
Orange Juice
Cranberry Juice
San Pellagrino Limonata (a great add to so many things, and one of my secrets).
Tonic
Rose's Apply Syrup

*Note, we do a lot of entertaining, so this is probably excessive for most people.

I feel like I am missing some stuff, Please add Ray.

Good list. Sure beats my bar selection of Becks NA and protein shakes. :rolleyes: :D

I have Kahula listed and the Irish Cream can be put into the "Other" so we are in agreement basically. Mixers I leave entirely up to you.

I agree with everything there save two things I would add in the other category. You need to have Irish cream and Kahlua.

I would recommend 2 gins for the same reasoning you applied to the vodka, tequila and bourbon. One to mix, gin and tonic, gin and grapefruit, etc., and one for martinis.

I have Kahula listed and the Irish Cream can be put into the "Other" so we are in agreement basically. Mixers I leave entirely up to you.

I agree with everything there save two things I would add in the other category. You need to have Irish cream and Kahlua.

I'm sorry Ray, somehow I grazzed right over that one.

In regards to mixers I was just curious as to what is in your supply, not nearly as important as the hooch itself.

I've tried to keep a well stocked bar but it's more suited for me than for guests.

I have my 20something bottles of scotch & rum but for guests I do have a couple of other bottles...

4 Wine (Chard, Merlot, Cab Sav, Zin)
3 Tequila
2 Rum
2 Bourbon
1 Tenn Whiskey
1 Canadian Whiskey
1 mixer scotch
2 vodka
1 triple sec

I would like to add more wine & get a couple of other bottles (gin, vermouth & jager)

I would like to add that having something other than spirits really sets a bar off...that's why I try to have the 'usual' things: a cold 12 pack of bud lite in the mini fridge for guests and a chilled bottle of Zin. Can't stand either of them, but wouldn't be a good host without them.

That's a good looking bar and looks like you'd be able to please just about anybody with a selection like that. I've found that while I usually have the alcohol that people want, I don't always have the mixers. Alcohol is very easy to maintain while some mixers seem to go bad quickly and are hard to keep stock up.

Edit to add: This is what a Bar Book that I reference every now and then has listed for what they claim to be a "fully stocked bar."

Liquors
-Bourbon (Ideally small-batched)
-Brandy (ideally French)
-Blended Whiskey (such as Canadian Whiskey)
-Blended Scotch (unless you prefer single-malt)
-Gin (possibly London Dry)
-Light Rum
-Tequila (ideally 100% agave)
-Vodka
-Anejo Tequila
-Cachaca
-Dark Rum
-Flavored Vodkas (lemon, currant, or other flavors)
-Grappa
-Jamaican Rum
-Pear Brandy
-French V.S.O.P Cognac
-Single-Malt Scotch
-Irish Whiskey

Aperitifs
-Campari
-Dubonnet Rouge
-Fernet Branca
-Lillet Blanc
-Pimm's No. 1

Liqueurs
-Benedictine
-Blackberry Brandy
-Blue Curacao
-Calvados or other apple brandy
-Chambord
-Chartreuse (green or yellow)
-Creme de Banane
-Drabuie
-Frangelico
-Galliano
-Grand Marnier
-Irish Cream Liquuer
-Jagermeister
-Maraschino Liqueur
-Midori Melon Liqueur
-Ouzo
-Peach Schnapps
-Sambuca
-Sloe Gin
-Southern Comfort
-Strawberry Liqueur
-Tuaca

Wines

-Fino Sherry
-Ruby or Tawny Port
-Dry Vermouth
-Sweet Vermouth
-Dry Red Wine
-Dry White Wine
-Brut Champagne or Sparkling Wine

I added this not to say this is a better list than AVB's (hell, you'll probably never use half of that shit) but just to give another so called "expert's" opinion on what a fully stocked bar would look like. The name of the book is "Ultimate Bar Book:The comprehensive guide to over 1,000 cocktails" by Mittie Hellmich

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Ray, and other contributors.

It would be nice to pin something like this in the Saloon. :whistling:

I was going to post a pic of the bar...but my daughter ran off with the USB cable for the camera!

Well, I'm up to 48 bottles of various liquor and yes, I do blame Ray for 80% of it. :p

I was going to post a pic of the bar...but my daughter ran off with the USB cable for the camera!

Well, I'm up to 48 bottles of various liquor and yes, I do blame Ray for 80% of it. :p

That's why I try to avoid reading his stuff! :laugh: Alas, I always indulge myself and read it, I'm lucky that I've not bought any more liquor but it's bound to happen.

I usually try to keep 2-3 Scotches, 2-3 bourbons, 2-3 rums and one good vodka around . . . but it's all sipping grade. The only mixers I have on hand are the ones I use, club soda and tonic water, although I've got a bottle of grenadine left over from a Tequila Sunrise flashback a few years ago. Don't entertain much, so if someone's over, I serve the good stuff.

That and a few liquours is about it---there's some Barenjager, Wild Turkey American Honey, Padron Cafe, some Godiva my kid sister sent me, and a bottle of Trader Vic's Macadamia in there. I don't drink any of that, it's all for cooking and the occasional loose woman. :whistling:

~Boar

Nothing wrong with your list except it doesn't fit the 25 bottle limit I mentioned in the first post. ;)

That's a good looking bar and looks like you'd be able to please just about anybody with a selection like that. I've found that while I usually have the alcohol that people want, I don't always have the mixers. Alcohol is very easy to maintain while some mixers seem to go bad quickly and are hard to keep stock up.

Edit to add: This is what a Bar Book that I reference every now and then has listed for what they claim to be a "fully stocked bar."
<snip>

I added this not to say this is a better list than AVB's (hell, you'll probably never use half of that shit) but just to give another so called "expert's" opinion on what a fully stocked bar would look like. The name of the book is "Ultimate Bar Book:The comprehensive guide to over 1,000 cocktails" by Mittie Hellmich

Nothing wrong with your list except it doesn't fit the 25 bottle limit I mentioned in the first post. ;)

<snip>

I added a bottle of Cognac and 2 bottles of port. It's hard to keep enough variety on hand because you never know when someone's going to ask you if you have something weird.

Here's my bar. It's mostly Scotch, Rye, and Bourbon with a few sipping Rums mixed in plus 1 Vodka and 2 Tequilas. Those BTAC bottles are much emptier now. :whistling:

bar.jpg

edited to add Ray is also to blame for 90% of this....

I was asked about this and while there is an older thread about it I though it was time for an update. The goal is to have a well stocked bar in 25 bottles or less. Let's face it, 25 bottles us far more then most people have so even that may be a bit high. Here is what I choose and the reasoning behind it.

Vodka - 2 Something to mix and something better for Martinis or shots
Tequila - 2 Something to mix and something to sip
Bourbon - 2 Still on the mix- sip thing
Port - 1 - Always good
Cognac - 1 Have to have some class
Scotch - 3 A mixer, a Highland or Speyside and an Islay
Tennessee Whiskey - 1 Some people gotta have their Jack although George Dickel is better
Rum - 3 A mixer, a sipper and a spiced
Something Orange - 1 Cointreau, Grand Marnier, Gran Gala, Triple Sec.....whatever
Canadian - 1
Bitters - 1
Vermouth - 2 Sweet and dry
Gin - 1
Kaluha - 1
Other - 3 Jager, Peach etc

That totals 25. Anybody else with a different or better list?

I love the list, Ray. I don't usually count bitters as a bottle though. Since they are usually used as a flavoring agent and consumed in such small quantities, I associate them more with being a mixer (a necessary one at all times). I would probably drop the bitters from the list of 25 and then add a bottle of Drambuie which I always seem to want to have on hand.

I have a bit more than 25 bottles in my bar, but if I had to have only 25 for my guests.
Ill add some specific brands I would choose as well.

Vodka - 3 Something to mix and something better for Martinis or shots and something flavored (Rain for mixing and Chopin for martinis and Hangar One mandarin for flavored)
Tequila - 2 Something to mix and something to sip (Sauza Hornitos for mixing and El Tesoro anejo for sipping)
Bourbon - 2 Still on the mix- sip thing (Old Grand Dad for mixing and Pappy 15/20 for sipping)
Port - 1 - Always good (I prefer LBV over tawny, but either or)
Cognac - 1 Have to have some class (I stay away from big boys too much mass production and additives. Delamain)
Scotch - 3 A mixer, a Highland or Speyside and an Islay (Highland Park, Mac, JW Black)
Tennessee Whiskey - 1 Some people gotta have their Jack although George Dickel is better (my exact sentiments here)
Rum - 3 A mixer, a sipper and a spiced (Capt Morgan, Appleton VX, Ron Zacapa 23 or Santa Teresa 1796)
Canadian - 1 (Crown Royal, nice manhattans with CR)
Bitters - 1 (La Fee's)
Vermouth - 2 Sweet and dry (i keep some better vermouths like Vya around)
Gin - 1 (Plymouth)
Baileys - 1 (Baileys, people love baileys on ice)
Other - Peach Schnapps, Pama

Which one is the Islay? :p

I have a bit more than 25 bottles in my bar, but if I had to have only 25 for my guests.
Ill add some specific brands I would choose as well.

Scotch - 3 A mixer, a Highland or Speyside and an Islay (Highland Park, Mac, JW Black)

Oops. I guess I need to add a 26th bottle then. :) Laphroaig 10 it is (FWIW I have Laga 16 and Bowmore in mine)

Here's my bar. It's mostly Scotch, Rye, and Bourbon with a few sipping Rums mixed in plus 1 Vodka and 2 Tequilas. Those BTAC bottles are much emptier now. :whistling:

bar.jpg

edited to add Ray is also to blame for 90% of this....
Niiiiiiiiice...I'll be over in a few minutes ;) Great collection Greg!!