• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"The Collector" Digital Remote Hygrometer

nismo270r

http://bit.ly/XOSDIL

Anyone had any experience or heard anything about these? Only reads temp in Celsius, but would be kind of nice for a cooler setup not having to open the lid to check the humidity.

With all of the great new humidity control products, your only concern should be when to charge your beads or replace your Boveda packs.  I personally use Boveda alot and really don't worry any more because the humidity is controlled awfully well.  I do have a hygrometer in one of my humidors, but it also isn't necessary.

I don't think it's worth it.  It's calibrated, but I do believe that every time the batteries of your hygrometer get replaced, you need to recalibrate the hygrometer.  If I'm mistaken...someone please correct me.  If I'm not...what the point of buying a pre-calibrated hygrometer if you are just going to have to calibrate it again in a few months to a year?  

After i changed the battery i did the wet salt test again, but the reading was exactly like with the old one. This is my experience...

Depends on the hygro.  Frankly, they should be completely insensitive to battery voltage (down to a point) but many are not.  My experience with coolers and beads was that they so infrequently required maintenance, you could probably go without a hygro.  Having said that, I kept one in each cooler, just because.

Back on topic, I have no experience with that particular hygro, but if you can calibrate them, they should work fine.   

Anything with a wire will be it's weak point...just like those remote/wired temperature gauges. The receiver works fine, but it's the wire that fails from being manipulated over time.

The only wired anything used on a desktop humidor I've seen that worked was a ribbon cable. That's a pretty thick cable on that unit...are you going to cut a slot in the humidor's lid to accommodate that? Not so sure that's a good idea.

Like Steve said, put a Boveda 65% pack in there and don't sweat it. If you feel compelled to check it, just buy an adjustable hygrometer for 20 bucks, throw it in there and call it a day.

Lot of good points here. I do agree beads and boveda packs are very low maintenance. I favor beads over packs just because of the longevity factor myself. I was considering this hygro for use with my 70 qt cooler, running the lead through drain plug and sealing it up, so hopefully no issues with the wire getting bent or pinched. I thought it would be nice to be able to put the sensor close to the center of the cooler. Right now I'm using kitty litter in my cooler and wineador, with both holding nicely at 68%. I just have a couple Xikar round hygros in the cooler, but thought it would be nice not to have to open it each time to see the humidity. I hadn't thought of the circulation aspect of opening the lid though.

nismo270r said:
Lot of good points here. I do agree beads and boveda packs are very low maintenance. I favor beads over packs just because of the longevity factor myself. I was considering this hygro for use with my 70 qt cooler, running the lead through drain plug and sealing it up, so hopefully no issues with the wire getting bent or pinched. I thought it would be nice to be able to put the sensor close to the center of the cooler. Right now I'm using kitty litter in my cooler and wineador, with both holding nicely at 68%. I just have a couple Xikar round hygros in the cooler, but thought it would be nice not to have to open it each time to see the humidity. I hadn't thought of the circulation aspect of opening the lid though.

Sounds like you have everything perfectly well in hand Chris...

Just carry on status quo!

Lol, yeah, I guess it's easy to get wrapped up with all the gizmos and gadgets out there anymore. I've heard of guys just using beads and not using a hygro at all, but I think I'm just too OCD not to have one! I'll spend the cash on a stick or two instead :)