• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Discontinuation Draft List for 2009

Black Plague

I haven't seen this posted anywhere here (if I did, forgive my bad eyes), so I thought I'd go through the latest list of what's on the chopping block for 2009.

READ IT CAREFULLY and remember IT'S ONLY A DRAFT, NOT ENTIRELY FINALIZED YET. Only the first section, "New Cigar Deletions," are current cigars that will no longer be produced in any way, shape, or form (barring special merchant orders). Everything else is either old crap that hasn't been seen for years and is just now being formally deleted or current production cigars that will still be made, just that a certain form of packaging (such as five-packs of 50-cabs) is being done away with.

So read carefully and don't freak out. Initial rumors that the Bolivar Coronas Extra was getting the axe are, thankfully, not true....only the 50 cabs are on the way out, dress boxes of 25 will still be made.

I'll also add that a well-known Australian vendor who was one of the initial sources for these deletions has mentioned that a few brands are in jeopardy. There were talks of completely getting rid of Rafael Gonzalez, Sancho Panza, and Vegueros, due to their lackluster sales...and there was also talk of reducing La Gloria Cubana down to just one size (Medaille d'Or No. 2). Several vendors seem to have helped to talk Habanos SA out of this idea for this year...but just be warned that this is what Cuba is considering doing right now.

All info from http://cubancigarwebsite.com

New Cigar Deletions

Bolivar - Bonitas
Bolivar - Inmensas
H Upmann - Monarcas
Hoyo De Monterrey - Hoyo Du Roi
Partagas - Princess
Punch - Coronas
Punch - Margaritas
Punch - Petit Punch
Punch - Super Seleccion No 1
El Rey del Mundo - Lunch Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous Cigar Deletions Formalised

Cabañas - Superfinos
Cabañas - Perfectos
H Upmann - Preciosas
H Upmann - Coronas
H Upmann - Petit Upmann
Hoyo de Monterrey - Hoyo Coronas
Hoyo de Monterrey - Le Hoyo du Dauphin
Juan Lopez - Panetelas Superba
Los Statos de Luxe - Cremas
Los Statos de Luxe - Selectos
Los Statos de Luxe - Delirios
Partagas - Lonsdales
Partagas - Coronas Grandes
Partagas - Partagas No.1
Ramon Allones - Belvederes
Sancho Panza - Coronas
Sancho Panza - Sanchos
Sancho Panza - Coronas Gigantes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Packaging Deletions - Cigars still Current

Bolivar - Coronas Extra - SLB50 - still available in B25
Fonseca - Cosacos - P5 - still available in P3tw, B25tw
H Upmann - Coronas Junior - B25 - still available in B25at
Jose L Piedra - all 7 cigars - Bun25 - all still available in P5
Montecristo - Joyitas - P5 - still available in SBN25
Partagas - Super Partagas - P5 - still available in B25
Partagas - Petit Coronas Especiales - P5 - still available in B25
Punch - Churchills - SLB50 - still available in B25
Quintero - Nacionales - P5 - still available in B25
Saint Luis Rey - Petit Coronas - P5 - still available in B25
Vegas Robaina - Clasicos - P5 - still available in B25
Vegas Robaina - Don Alejandro - P3 - still available in B25
Vegas Robaina - Famosos - P5 - still available in B25

Previous Packaging Deletions Formalised - Cigars still Current

H Upmann - Magnum 46 - P3 - still available in P3at, SLB25, SLB50
Hoyo de Monterrey - Le Hoyo de Prince - P5, SLB50 - still available in SLB25
Hoyo de Monterrey - Le Hoyo de Depute - P5 - still available in SLB25
Hoyo de Monterrey - Le Hoyo des Dieux - P5, SLB50 - still available in SLB25
Hoyo de Monterrey - Double Coronas - P3 - still available in B25, SLB50
La Flor de Cano - Selectos - P5 - still available in B25
Partagas - Serie D No.4 - P3 - still available in P3at, SBN10, SBN25
Partagas - Lusitanias - P3- still available in B10, B25, SLB50

Special Release Deletions Confirmed

Cohiba - Cohiba Reserva
H Upmann - Robusto 2007 Travel Humidor
H Upmann - Regalos 2007 LE

I've been tracking this as well. Although I understand the concept of paring back under-performing lines and eliminating altogether products that aren't profitable, this is still distressing. Everyone has their favorites and I know there are people who will read that list and be upset, particularly when they discover that Habanos is introducing poorly conceived lines of new products such as the Montecristo "Open" line that received pretty scathing reviews so far.

It's sad that some of the classic vitolas such as the corona (one of my very favorites) have fallen so far out of favor that many marques are eliminating them from their lineups. I also have a fondness for some of the sub-premium lines (like Jose Piedras) and sub-premium smaller shapes that are also on the chopping block.

On the positive side, it appears that Trinidad will now offer a Robusto and that is music to my taste buds :)

- Tim

Agreed on all counts...more and more, I find myself reaching for coronas, PCs, and lonsdales. But alas, they seem to be rapidly vanishing. I'd really hate to see the LGC line reduced to just one size.

:laugh: @ Montecristo "Open" (whatever the hell that line name is supposed to mean) and the taste reviews so far. It only gets good marks if it's smoked by a Cigar Aficionado employee!

Agreed on all counts...more and more, I find myself reaching for coronas, PCs, and lonsdales. But alas, they seem to be rapidly vanishing. I'd really hate to see the LGC line reduced to just one size.

:laugh: @ Montecristo "Open" (whatever the hell that line name is supposed to mean) and the taste reviews so far. It only gets good marks if it's smoked by a Cigar Aficionado employee!

;) Sad but true.

As for the LGC's, I agree. I think that real Panatelas, (and although I love the LGC No. 2's and have a box sitting at home I find that they are more of a Lonsdale than a Panatela) are wonderfully elegant-looking cigars. Damn tasty too and it would be a shame to see them retired.

- Tim

Can't say that there are really any surprises on the list. I also can't say I am really that sad to see anything go, except maybe the SS#1. I wonder how many years it will take for this group of discontinued smokes to become so called "classics" and people start charging 2X the price they are going for now :rolleyes:

We'll see about the SS#1

They've been threatening to discontinue that thing for 8 years! :laugh:

SS1's and Boli Inmensas are going to be missed by me! Time to stock up, apparently.

We'll see about the SS#1

They've been threatening to discontinue that thing for 8 years! :laugh:

For sure!
I've been keeping a spreadsheet for almost that long, tracking the "to be discontinued" lists that pop up every year. Perhaps they do this to promote sales.

On the other hand, they really did stop production of one of my personal favorites, the Partagas Churchills De Luxe and boxes have been hard to find for a few years now. That's why it was such a treat to find a box of the 2001 production in a shop in Havana recently. Hoo-boy! Those are some tasty smokes after resting for 8 years.

Commander Bob
Still looking for orphan boxes of RyJ Celestiales Finos

Coronas are excellent, I love the format, and I hate to see them being replaced with Marveas and Robustos. The corona is the perfect in-between.

I just read that Cohiba Lanceros and Trinidad Fundadores are being 'put to sleep' this year.

The first I have heard this and I find it very hard to believe that both the above cigars would even be discussed about being axed, let alone actually being discontinued.

I don't want to see those discontinued myself.
I got this info from an interview with Jorge-Luis Maique, the new marketing director at Habanos.

I just read that Cohiba Lanceros and Trinidad Fundadores are being 'put to sleep' this year.

The first I have heard this and I find it very hard to believe that both the above cigars would even be discussed about being axed, let alone actually being discontinued.

Thanks for your insights, but I truly hope this is not true. You would think that the reputation and history of both cigars would make them safe from being cut, but I guess nothing is safe (or sacred) to HSA.....

I got this info from an interview with Jorge-Luis Maique, the new marketing director at Habanos.

Thanks for your insights, but I truly hope this is not true. You would think that the reputation and history of both cigars would make them safe from being cut, but I guess nothing is safe (or sacred) to HSA.....

Don't bring me into this Mike, I would never say those things! Seriously... I can't imagine why they would discontinue either of those vitolas given their history and popularity within the marcas.

I wonder how many years it will take for this group of discontinued smokes to become so called "classics" and people start charging 2X the price they are going for now :rolleyes:

It took all of about 2-3 years for people to start charging 3-4x the price for HUSC's.