• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The idiot politicians are at it again...

IgwanaRob

I'm just 2 people short of a threesome
Bill Banning iPods In Crosswalks Slated For Albany

"Legislation will be introduced in Albany on Wednesday to lay a $100 fine on pedestrians succumbing to what State Sen. Carl Kruger calls iPod oblivion."

Maybe this moonbat jackass will want to ban deaf people next - especially if they smoke and are capable of choosing to eat foods with trans fats all by themselves. Nothing more dangerous than someone with freedom of choice, in a fucking crosswalk no less, right? Well, at least we weren't attacked by LiteBrites.

That's retarded.

Is it me, or does the liberal use of the trademark "iPod" seem inappropriate in this context? I'm no Apple fan, but if I were Steve Jobs, I'd be a little pissed.

that's the dumbest thing I have ever heard, no matter what party...Geezus..

Melly...btw i'm a conservative

To think that mankind would not have survived if it were not for laws like this.

What would we do if the politicians were not out there trying to save us from ourselves.

Hey, I personally agree with this. I don't think it goes far enough. I think they should also outlaw walking in crosswalks. Furthermore, they should outlaw cars driving accross crosswalks. Imagine all the lives we would save if nobody used crosswalks!! :whistling:

I like the law about not being about to talk and drive. That's why bluetooth is the best thing since sliced bread. It's just safer.

It seems a little silly, but I'd hope someone was hurt to spark this up. It's a little dangerous not to have atleast one ear listening to your surrondings. I still don't have an Ipod. :sign:

Whats next, not being able to talk on your cell phone while you walk...geez

Connecticut and at least one other state have laws making it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving.

Have you known of anyone getting busted on this? For a while I stopped using my cell phone on weekly trips to CT, only to have the person I was meeting with laugh at me. After a couple of months I started putting my cell phone back up to my ear and see plenty of CT drivers doing the same on 91 and 84.

As for the iPods; the town I live next to (Northampton) is full of smug hippies that believe the world will stop for them and routinely don't look before entering one of the many cross walks. Some will even jaywalk without looking. I've put a scare in to more than a few. If you are so distracted by your iPod that you are endangering your very existence; it is called natural selection. Why does government fight so hard to interfere?

Connecticut and at least one other state have laws making it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving.

Washington is also heading in that direction. Ear set's will be mandatory for all calls made while driving. Actually, in some professions, it already is. If my wife is showing a property to clients, she is supposed to use her ear set for all calls. If she is in an accident, basically the firm she works for can and will most likely be sued, as well as herself.

I like the law about not being about to talk and drive. That's why bluetooth is the best thing since sliced bread. It's just safer.

It seems a little silly, but I'd hope someone was hurt to spark this up. It's a little dangerous not to have atleast one ear listening to your surrondings. I still don't have an Ipod. :sign:
it isn;t so much you have a cell phone in your hand...it's you're involved in a conversation and distracted, bluetooth or not. agreed it is safer, but a distraction is a distraction. i have a bluetooth connection in my gps, and i try to limit my conversations to 30 sec or less when driving.
back on topic...
either way, that legislation with the ipods is kinda silly, people need to control their own situational awareness. i think we need the government to concentrate on the bigger issues (that i need not mention).

This is yet another proposal for a law that falls into the category of "I don't like it therefore you shouldn't be allowed to do it".

I have some other laws to propose - feedback is encouraged.

1. Mandatory retesting for drivers licenses. More accidents are caused by people who drive 20 miles BELOW the speed limit the 20 miles above.
2. Make it illegal to wear spandex if you are OBESE. If you have to ask if you are obese then don't wear 'em.
3. Thursday will be national meat eating day. You can have vegetables if you don't want to eat meat, just somther it in cheese and bacon bits
4. Annex California and let it fend for itself. All residents who want to come back must either smoke, use old style lightbulbs or believe in spanking their kids.
5. All foo-foo flavored wine will be replaced with scotch no less then 15 years old. Anyone caught drinking foo-foo wine even in the privacy of their home will be arrested.
6. All illegal drugs will be made legal and given away for free. Then we let natural selection take its course.
7. Ditto for seatbelt an helmet laws. If I want to end up a street pizza, why shouldn't I.

And my last law

8. You can not be convicted of a traffic violation if you are actively smoking. HA!

Fish

Man, why couldn't they just have stopped at murder and let us live free????? :whistling:

California is moving to the no cell phone while driving law starting in 08. Loop around it is just wear a bluetooth, or a hands free plug in that comes in on the car audio. They are just outlawing using your hand to hold the phone.

Have you known of anyone getting busted on this? For a while I stopped using my cell phone on weekly trips to CT, only to have the person I was meeting with laugh at me. After a couple of months I started putting my cell phone back up to my ear and see plenty of CT drivers doing the same on 91 and 84.

As for the iPods; the town I live next to (Northampton) is full of smug hippies that believe the world will stop for them and routinely don't look before entering one of the many cross walks. Some will even jaywalk without looking. I've put a scare in to more than a few. If you are so distracted by your iPod that you are endangering your very existence; it is called natural selection. Why does government fight so hard to interfere?

Yes, they've issued thousands of tickets for this, there was an article in the paper very recently that gave the figures. The fine is $100.00 and there are a couple of bills in the Legislature to raise the fine. One of them (HB 5313) specifies raising it to $250.00. I highly doubt that will go anywhere as there is a feeling that the cops will be LESS likely to write a tickets because the fine would be so high. Don't look for that bill to pass.

I think NullSmurf's sig tag says it all:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C. S. Lewis

In addition to doing away with all the laws protecting ourselves from ourselves I would like to see a legislator with the balls to propose the Personal Accountability Act. Under this law if you slip and fall on some ice in the parking lot at Walmart or dump hot coffee in your lap at McDonald's or get lung cancer from smoking cigarettes, or run over your own foot with your lawnmower etc. etc. you don't get to pursue the new American dream of suing your way to prosperity.

Many states do, and I was happy as hell when they made it illegal in NY. Problem is, they enforce it even less than they do seatbelt laws (IOW, it's not usually the reason they pull people over, but they'll ticket if they've pulled you over for something else). I only know 2 people that have gotten tickets for cell phone use. There's still too many idiots trying to kill people instead of looking where they are going. It's not like using a hands-free headset is really a hard thing to do (wired or wireless). The difference is they are putting other people in danger, whereas someone who is too stupid to obey the law and crosses when they aren't supposed to is, for the most part, only putting themselves in danger.

Back