• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

the latest email from the RTDA

PTownshend

big-nosed cigar freak!
At 2 am this morning, the House Ways & Means Committee approved
H.R. 3162, a bill to expand the State Children's Health Insurance
Program (SCHIP) to be funded by higher tobacco taxes and cuts in the
Medicare Advantage Program. At this time, the full House and Senate are
expected to consider their respective measures next week.

The House bill would increase the tax on large cigars to a new rate of
44.63% with a tax cap of $1 per cigar. There was some talk of trying to
reduce the rate to 33%, but this would result in a revenue loss
projected at $1 billion over 5 years. There was no interest in reducing
the $1 cap. The tax on pipe tobacco would go to $1.26 per lb. Floor
stocks taxes would be assessed on cigarettes only, payable on April 14,

Under the Senate proposal, large cigars would be taxed at 53.13% of the
manufacturer's sale price (capped at $10 per cigar) and pipe tobacco at
$2.8126 per lb. Floor stocks taxes would be assessed on all tobacco
products from the manufacturer through the retailer level, payable on
April 1, 2008.
Both bills would make the effective date of the tax increases January
1, 2008.

Currently, large cigars are taxed at a higher rate than any other
tobacco product. Indeed, the current tax is higher than any other
product on which the IRS levies a federal excise tax. The new tax
proposals would make this discrepancy even more outrageously
pronounced.
Many of you have already contacted both Chambers of Congress—do it
again! Persistence pays off! We must all continue contacting your
Congressmen or Congresswomen and Senators and urge them that they seek
reductions in the cigar tax increases. We will provide you with
additional information as news becomes available.

So is anybody else prepping for the biggest cigar order(s) they will ever place if this actually goes through.

I know I've started saving just in case I need to buy several boxes of cigars and hold on to them to avoid this possible new tax.

So is anybody else prepping for the biggest cigar order(s) they will ever place if this actually goes through.

I know I've started saving just in case I need to buy several boxes of cigars and hold on to them to avoid this possible new tax.

About to purchase my 2nd cooler that I promsied myself I would never buy! LOL.....I'd say, YES!

I just saw a friggin TV spot requesting support FOR the bill.

I'm almost willing to accept the $1/stick tax after being so appalled by the possible $10/stick BS they were going to try, but looking closer even the one dollar cap is BS.

I just saw a friggin TV spot requesting support FOR the bill.

I'm almost willing to accept the $1/stick tax after being so appalled by the possible $10/stick BS they were going to try, but looking closer even the one dollar cap is BS.

I agree $1 a stick is still too much but is definitely the lesser of two evils.

An additional $25 on a box is much better than up to $250 on a box.

I think we need to fight both of them though. That may have been there plan, to be ridiculous at first in order to coerce people into accepting a smaller tax that is still ridiculous.

Don't thet realize in the long run the're are going to lose out. With markups and tobacco taxes prices are going up at least 3 to 5 dollars per cigar.

They are putting a band aid on a wound that needs a complete operation, there are bigger issues here. If the tax passes at the $10.00/stick mark, most people will not be able to afford cigars, then the tax pool completely dries up, then what? No tax coming in to pay for the program means the program dies, plain and simple.
Rob

They are putting a band aid on a wound that needs a complete operation, there are bigger issues here. If the tax passes at the $10.00/stick mark, most people will not be able to afford cigars, then the tax pool completely dries up, then what? No tax coming in to pay for the program means the program dies, plain and simple.
Rob

The program wont die...they will just find something else to tax. When everyone gets taxed instead of just smokers, then the wisdom of their ways or lack thereof will be illuminated!