• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Macallan 18 yr... am I in trouble here?

Genevapics

(I posted this on a few other forums and thought I would share it here)​

I went out to dinner the other night at a nice seafood restaurant here in Wilmington, DE. They had The Macallan 18 and I decided to pull the trigger. It was $14/glass and served in a snifter.

When the drink arrived, I picked up the glass and nosed the beverage. Oh my goodness! I could detect butterscotch, vanilla, caramel, and a slight citrus note. I put the glass to my lips and tasted the scotch. It was very smooth. Some hints of alcohol, but not that burning feeling that I have had with most scotch. The Macallan 18 warmed my mouth and throat without "the burn".

All I can say is that The Macallan 18 is the best scotch I have ever tried (which is very few). My first scotch purchase was a bottle of Balvanie 15 YR. It was nice, but nothing like The Macallan 18. A bottle of The Macallan 18 retails for $129 (all in) here in Delaware. That's where the "trouble" comes in. So, my question to the scotch drinkers on the board: What else from the Speyside region compares favorably with The Macallan 18? And maybe a little more $ friendly. Also, any better prices out there in the on-line world? Thanks.

By the time you pay shipping you'll only save a few bucks so consider anything under $130 as the going price. It's $122.95 here in PA. For something less expensive look into the Aberlour 15, Mortlach 12 or Strathisla 12 for starters

Glad to see I am not the only Macallan 18 fan on the board. I have a brand new bottle on my shelf just waiting to be violated.

Tonight just might be the night! :cool:

The 12yr is also an excellent scotch and only about $50.

They are both very good. I just can't see paying $70-80 more for the 18 right now, the 12 yr. old is that good imo.
Are you guys coming for AVO? I will bring in my bottle of 18 and change your mind! The 18 is a totally different animal than the 12. Although the current version is nothing like some of the older vintages. I had a good customer bring in a '84 that brought tears to my eyes. It was so much better than the '87 and the current '89.

Damn Brad, you almost sound like you know your scotch. What the the hell has happened to you? :)

I stay away from the stuff, as beer and cigars are enough of a vice for me at my present time. All I need to do is add scotch or other things. :laugh:

As for the AVO event, I wish I could make it. However, the trip is too long for me to make, especially when I'm going to do my best to make one of the other events a little later in the year!