• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Masters

Love watching the masters. Before my parents divorced, my dad would always watch golf on Sundays and nap. Come to think of it, maybe that’s why they divorced, LOL.

I've never been a fan, but found myself cheering for him today. Also just took my snowboarding stuff out of my car and loaded up my clubs, going to go get the first 9 of the year in, maybe 18 depending on how I feel.
I was never really a fan. And the accolades that he got over the years were absolutely idiotic. But lately, considering what he's been through, it's amazing that he can compete.

I was never really a fan. And the accolades that he got over the years were absolutely idiotic. But lately, considering what he's been through, it's amazing that he can compete.
Sacrilege! IMO he deserves all the accolades and some. He is the absolute best player to play the game in the last 40+ years!

Sacrilege! IMO he deserves all the accolades and some. He is the absolute best player to play the game in the last 40+ years!
30 years maybe. He is nowhere near as good as Jack and the way you know that, is that nobody from the modern era will try to play with the old-time clubs.

They've had demonstrations where a machine hits balls with the old-time clubs and the new time clubs, the problem is that machine hits the ball in the exact same spot every time. With the old persimmon Woods if you miss The Sweet Spot by a sixteenth of an inch you are screwed.

Not to mention the golf balls from 50 years ago would only fly 70% as far as the balls today.

30 years maybe. He is nowhere near as good as Jack and the way you know that, is that nobody from the modern era will try to play with the old-time clubs.

They've had demonstrations where a machine hits balls with the old-time clubs and the new time clubs, the problem is that machine hits the ball in the exact same spot every time. With the old persimmon Woods if you miss The Sweet Spot by a sixteenth of an inch you are screwed.

Not to mention the golf balls from 50 years ago would only fly 70% as far as the balls today.

It’s how sports evolution works, unfortunately. Sort of like the constant comparison between Jordan and Lebrun. Leagues evolve, equipment evolves and it’s not always a fair comparison. NBA and NFL are far different leagues, then they were in the 80s and 90s. Golf clubs and balls, are drastically different, than 20 years ago, let alone 40-50 years ago.

It’s how sports evolution works, unfortunately. Sort of like the constant comparison between Jordan and Lebrun. Leagues evolve, equipment evolves and it’s not always a fair comparison. NBA and NFL are far different leagues, then they were in the 80s and 90s. Golf clubs and balls, are drastically different, than 20 years ago, let alone 40-50 years ago.
And Jack didn’t play on the courses that Tiger has played on, yardage ect. Tiger is every bit as good as Jack! Jack’s run wasn’t 30 years ago either, it’s been since the 70’s really.

And Jack didn’t play on the courses that Tiger has played on, yardage ect. Tiger is every bit as good as Jack! Jack’s run wasn’t 30 years ago either, it’s been since the 70’s really.
The reason Jack didn't play on the courses that tiger plays is because the course is have all been obsoleted by the equipment.

Trust me when I tell you, there is really no comparison between the equipment 40 and 50 years ago to the equipment today.

And the reason that no current player will take the challenge of playing with the old equipment is because they know what would come from it.

If I played with the equipment from 50 years ago I could not break 100. If I don't break 80 now I am pretty pissed.

The reason Jack didn't play on the courses that tiger plays is because the course is have all been obsoleted by the equipment.

Trust me when I tell you, there is really no comparison between the equipment 40 and 50 years ago to the equipment today.

And the reason that no current player will take the challenge of playing with the old equipment is because they know what would come from it.

If I played with the equipment from 50 years ago I could not break 100. If I don't break 80 now I am pretty pissed.
I think they would be fine, but the courses would be too long. Would be awesome for them to do a tourney where they all played old equipment. There are a couple around here that are pretty fun, but I think playing with my Eye-2s is cheating, but not enough to give me a prayer.

This is what a balata golf ball would look like in the late 70s after a slight mis-hit. A bad Miss hit, and the ball is cut wide open with rubber bands popping out of it. You had to finish the hole with this ball that wouldn't fly straight and certainly wouldn't roll straight.

You're allowed to carry six golf balls with you in competition so six mis-hits, and you are done.

With today's clubs you can miss The Sweet Spot by a quarter of an inch and still have an absolutely acceptable shot, in the 70s if you missed the Sweet Spot by a sixteenth of an inch you would be out of bounds, or 60 yards short.

The challenge has been put out for any current player to play a round of golf with the old clubs. They have all refused because they know what would happen I don't.

R (1).jpeg

This is what a balata golf ball would look like in the late 70s after a slight mis-hit. A bad Miss hit, and the ball is cut wide open with rubber bands popping out of it. You had to finish the hole with this ball that wouldn't fly straight and certainly wouldn't roll straight.

You're allowed to carry six golf balls with you in competition so six mis-hits, and you are done.

With today's clubs you can miss The Sweet Spot by a quarter of an inch and still have an absolutely acceptable shot, in the 70s if you missed the Sweet Spot by a sixteenth of an inch you would be out of bounds, or 60 yards short.

The challenge has been put out for any current player to play a round of golf with the old clubs. They have all refused because they know what would happen I don't.

View attachment 53953
Well yeah, against a field of people playing current technology.

Well yeah, against a field of people playing current technology.
No, just to play a round of golf with the old clubs. They all know they would probably not break 80, which is why they refuse to take the challenge.

You probably think Dennis Rodman could have beat Jack! :cool: 😂

Jack was an awesome player. Tiger was/is a once in a lifetime talent. People marvel about Michael Jordan, but Oscar Robertson was a far better player in all aspects. It is all about perspective.

You gotta love the dedication it took/takes to come back from this type of injury. He couldn’t even walk without a cane less than 8 months ago, now he is competing with the best golfers in the world… Can’t wait to see how he does in the next 3 days.

Jack and Tiger are 1a and 1b to me, they are the best to ever play, just at different times…

You gotta love the dedication it took/takes to come back from this type of injury. He couldn’t even walk without a cane less than 8 months ago, now he is competing with the best golfers in the world… Can’t wait to see how he does in the next 3 days.
Yep!

I was never really a tiger fan. But what he has done in the last five years is amazing!

Augusta is such a crazy difficult course to play. I always said if I got a chance to play it, I would lay up on a lot of par fours and hit a 70-80 yard wedge into the green because of how critical distance control is.

It is said that for an average amateur, an Augusta caddie could place the ball on each green (laying zero) in his place of choice and the amateur could not break par. That means five and six putting every hole!

Slight difference. Jack is the best ever, tiger revolutionized the game and was the best of his time.
I don't necessarily disagree with that statement, but I feel that you aren't giving Tiger the credit he deserves. If not the best ever, Tiger is most certainly 2nd best of all-time, behind only Jack.