• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The "name that name" contest

moki

el Presidente
Alright folks, the first person to figure out where the name "moki" comes from (if I've told you myself, you are not eligible, let's keep it fair!) gets a nice little moki-bomb. Guess away!!

Well, you didn't say how many guesses we are allowed.

So...

Moki - Malcolm Tennant - 10m power fishing cat

Moki the Gecko - books by Bruce Hale

Blue Moki - Latridopsis ciliaris

Moki Treks - Vacations for the soul

Moki Dugway - Southern Utah

Moki's Sushi & Pacific Grill

Moki the rescued Akita from ARMAC

Moki - 'dense forest of one tree'

Moki engines

Moki Mac River Expeditions

Moki - short for smokey

OR - none of the above????

Your girlfriend was complaining one night and said....it's too moki in here ???

I only remember hearing the word "moki" in terms of its native american meaning. I believe Moki used to be the name for the Hopi tribe and a subset of the Pueblo tribes in what is now Arizona. There was something else subtle about the native american origins of the name, but I don't remember what...

Also used to know a guy with a dog of the same name... so you might be named after him...? ;)

- Oak

I can think of only a few possibilities and one is that it was a name given to you by the Hopi Indians (who are also called The Moki) and they also use it to mean deer. Or you picked it up in Hawaii where it is also a common nickname although I don't know why. Or you are named after a Moki Man doll for some reason.

To be really esoteric, Moki was the valet at Rick's club on Magnum P.I.

Here are som Moki's Law jokes you may find amusing.
Moki's Law

Your kid said, "Dad, it's "moki" in here" while you filled the room with fragrant blue Swisher cigar smoke.

NA

I wanna say a friend of mine who was stationed there said the native term for a hawaiian was "Mok"(long O sound). So my guess would be related to that. I beleive the guys were Mok's.

If this is a slang term, no offense intended. :D

Floyd T. :sign:

Corrupt Hopi deer to Dear? Did your SI give you that name?

Shagaroo is right. The advanced google search is your friend.

google:
moki site:people.ambrosiasw.com

Shagaroo said:
Named after a cat.....
bingo!!!!!! PM me your address :)

Moki.jpg

It pays to read fellow boards members profiles and websites...

And Release your inner moron is a work of art....... :D

DAMMIT,

I KNEW that as I had seen it on Moki's webstie. I especially like the "How to wash a cat" story :D

I guess I should stop sleeping until noon :(

SKYDIVNEKD said:
I wanna say a friend of mine who was stationed there said the native term for a hawaiian was "Mok"(long O sound). So my guess would be related to that. I beleive the guys were Mok's.

If this is a slang term, no offense intended. :D

Floyd T. :sign:
It's actually pronounced MO-KEE

It's spelled MOKE. At least that's the way I remember it from the early eighties when I lived there. It's Hawaiian slang for lazy a$$ local. Somewhat derogatory but mostly used in gest. I've still got a great t-shirt I bought from a local during the Ironman Triathalon in Kailua-Kona. It reads:

Moke-thon

12 hours surfing
24 hours eating
36 hours sleeping

:D :D :D