• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The New Palio Cutter Is As Good As The Old

Herfin Bigdog

I know because I have tested the old cutter against the new cutter.

I posted this in another thread and I'm saying it again because I meant it.

I am not normally one to buy things impulsively. When I decide to buy something and there are multiple alternatives for the product, I research the heck out of the alternatives. And when I decided that I wanted to shell out some significant money to buy a cutter, I started doing the research. Along with the Palio, I considered other high-end cutters like Xikar, Zino and Davidoff. While doing the research I read several hundred posts and comments about each cutter and I looked at the construction of each; I looked at the cutting action; I looked at the blades. I looked at every aspect that I could think of.

In the end I decided on the Palio. What sold me were the number of positive comments for the Palio. In all of the positive comments about the Palio I came across I don't think I came across one negative comment. The worst thing I read was that it was equal to the cutters that they were being compared to. More importantly, I don't recall reading any comment stating the opposite. I don't remember reading any comment about any cutter being compared to the Palio cutting as well as the Palio. The fact that that was not stated says a lot. And, I really liked the look of the cutter. It says "Class" to me.

I'm telling you, I did my homework. And when I had read all I could read, it was the Palio and nothing else. And now I can back it up because I did my own test.

I am one of probably not too many that have been in the position to have been able to use both the old Palio, made while under the previous ownership of Amyx-Christie and the current cutter made for the owner of the new Palio, Brother of The Leaf LLC.

I am hear to say that the Palio cutters made under the new ownership of Brother of The Leaf, LLC. is a damn fine cutter. It cuts as equally well if not better than the original cutters. My new cutter has been put through a rigorous test these last few weeks and I am pleased to say that it passed with flying colors.

I highly recommend this cutter to anyone who is tired of the El Cheapo cutters and is looking to spend not a significant amount, but wants to spend some extra $$$ to get a quality cutter. You won't be sorry that you bought a Palio.

On the www.paliocutters.com website, even though the hand that indicates a link does not show if you move the cursor around, I found out that if you move the cursor over any of the words on the left side and click, it does take you to the appropriate page. To see who stocks the Palio, click on "where to buy".

What's the difference between a Palio and some other high-priced, pay-for-the-name, cuts no better than Palio, cutter? Somewhere between 5 and 50+ dollars.

Why pay more for something that doesn't cut any better than a Palio?

As I cut the cap off of my Opus X #4 with my so very sharp Xikar, I ask myself...Why would I want to buy a Palio?

-Fetter

fetterjohn said:
As I cut the cap off of my Opus X #5 with my so very sharp Xikar, I ask myself...Why would I want to buy a Palio?

-Fetter
[snapback]275261[/snapback]​
No dis on the Palio, but I got my Xikar off CBID for about $20.00. It's as sharp as the day I got it, it cuts clean as can be, and seems sturdy to me. I know some guys say "...they break..." but unless you drop of off the roof, I'm not sure how you'd "break" it. Mine's just over a year old and works flawlessly and has cut hundreds of cigars.

To each his own....seems a matter of personal preference as much as anything.

Enjoy your Palio..... :thumbs:

Regards - B.B.S.

There are lots of great cutters out there but the thing that really stands out to me about the Palio is it's light weight. I like to travel light and the Palio fills the bill.

fetterjohn said:
As I cut the cap off of my Opus X #4 with my so very sharp Xikar, I ask myself...Why would I want to buy a Palio?

-Fetter

If you already have a cutter that cuts as well as the Palio, you really have no need to buy another cutter, do you? :cool:

But if someone doesn't already have a cutter that they wouldn't mind spending a reasonable amount of money to have, the Palio is a quality cutter to seriously consider.

I had a Xikar Xi3 and a Palio and preferred the Palio. I guess it is all a matter of opinion and possibly cutting style/technique.

I am in the market for a new cutter and I am torn between the Xi3 and the Palio so I really appreciate these comments.

For an every day leave-around-the-house cutter I prefer something with some weight (Xikar), while on the road calls for something light. Think I just answered my question... buy em both. ;)

Are the costs conciderably different? If so...how much?

-Fetter

The Xikar Xi3 retails for $79.99 but can be had for less in some locations. N2Advnture is currently selling the Palio for $39.99 which is an INSANE price. They are generally around $45-$49.99.

fetterjohn said:

-Fetter

Have not tried the palio but I hate the way the xikar feels in my hands, it feels as if you don't really have a hold of it. Anybody else hate these things?

Shiba said:
The Xikar Xi3 retails for $79.99 but can be had for less in some locations. N2Advnture is currently selling the Palio for $39.99 which is an INSANE price. They are generally around $45-$49.99.
[snapback]275622[/snapback]​
....and I got my Xikar for about $25.00 off CBid.

If I thought I could get a much better cutter, I'd get one. But - for me this is the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" situation. Until the Xikar "lets me down" in some way, shape, or form....I'll stick with it.

the gurkha said:
Have not tried the palio but I hate the way the xikar feels in my hands, it feels as if you don't really have a hold of it. Anybody else hate these things?
[snapback]275623[/snapback]​

I actually like mine quite a bit.....

The more I read about this, the more I think this is as much "personal preference" as anything. Hey, enjoy what you have / use.... :thumbs:

Regards - B.B.S.

I'm begining to dislike mine. It is akward to use, and it ain't getting any easier with use.

You are correct BSB in that personal preference does play a big part in this, much like it does with storing cigars with cello on or off; pairing beverages with cigars; liking one wrapper over another; etc.

However, in my case I choose the Palio because I did the research and based on what I found, the Palio seemed the best cutter for the money.

Another advantage of the Palio is that it has no mechanical parts that can fail such as the release mechanism of the Xikar. I have heard of the release mechanism falling apart, sticking/getting hung up, or otherwise failing. And the Palio does not come across as being a cheap cutter once you've held it in your hand, IMHO of course. It may not weigh as much as a Xikar, but it doe have some heft to it.

What can I say? I have no affiliation with Palio. I strongly believe it to be the best cutter you can buy. <shrug>

I was gifted one of the new Palio cutters recently, You know who you are and you are a great BOTL Sir. Due to sinus, colds and what not I have not been able to try it out but a couple of times. So far I love it, it is easy to carry and stays clean in it's carrying pouch. I will have to admit that it is taking some getting used to to get the cuts just right, but if the warm weather continues I forsee a lot of opportunities to perfect my methods with it. I am having a problem keeping the cut "square" with the cigar but like I mentioned, time and practice should resolve this. My opinion is that it is a great cutter that, like any of them, takes a little getting used to.

Edit because I needed to for this post to make a little more sense.

Devil Doc said:
I'm begining to dislike mine. It is akward to use, and it ain't getting any easier with use.
[snapback]275628[/snapback]​

Uh what?

Awkward to use? Do you have limited mobility in your fingers?

Mindflux said:
Devil Doc said:

Uh what?

[snapback]275850[/snapback]​

I was thinking the same thing...but to some it is hard to handle...like a cigar that ain't flavored!! :sign: Kidding...bad Sunday night humor. :whistling: But I think that the Xikar is great...no real acclimitization needed...you can either handle it or you can't. I love it because it really feels like I've got a handle on the thing. Not like regular cutters where you only have a couple of fingers on the thing...not that I can't use those. But as far as any mechanism going out or breaking...it's the only cutter I know so far that's guaranteed for life... :)

-Fetter

Mindflux said:
Devil Doc said:

Uh what?

[snapback]275850[/snapback]​
Let me get this straight. I must be criple because I'm not as comfortable with a device as you? Pesonally I prefer using a disposable scapel. It makes a clean percise cut without having to apply pressure to the cigar. Just pop off the top.

Doc.

I also think the Xikar is awkard to use... most people drop them the first time they use them.

Once you get used to them, they are very good cutters but I like the Palio style better.

Devil Doc said:
Let me get this straight. I must be criple because I'm not as comfortable with a device as you? Pesonally I prefer using a disposable scapel. It makes a clean percise cut without having to apply pressure to the cigar. Just pop off the top.

Doc.
[snapback]275927[/snapback]​

Well I see no other explanation for it. Let me ask you "why bother" with any cutters if your preferred method is a disposable scalpel? I've never had my Xikar, Palio or Havana cutters pinch my cigar, they all give nice clean cuts and none of them feel awkward to use.

So if you know you find a scalpel to be the most effective, why did you bother to buy/try a Palio?