• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The "Newbie Reviews"

Jack Straw

As a "victim" of "The Newbie War 2009", I decided to retaliate by sending some of the ringleaders some smokes, and challenged them to review them.

Newbie Review Challenge

Rather than clutter up the "War Thread" I created this one for the upcoming reviews.

Two of the reviews on smoke #1 are in, and as soon as I receive the 3rd, I will post them in this thread and reveal what they were smoking.

As a "victim" of "The Newbie War 2009", I decided to retaliate by sending some of the ringleaders some smokes, and challenged them to review them.

Newbie Review Challenge

Rather than clutter up the "War Thread" I created this one for the upcoming reviews.

Two of the reviews on smoke #1 are in, and as soon as I receive the 3rd, I will post them in this thread and reveal what they were smoking.

Damn I hope I at least come close on a couple. :laugh:

Newbie Review Challenge

Damn I hope I at least come close on a couple. :laugh:

You and me both brother! I have a feeling that this isn't going to be pretty. :whistling:

The first of the "Newbie Reviews" are in, so let's see how they did:

Q The Cop's review

Many thanks to Jack Straw for the chance to do this Newbie Blind Cigar Review. I think it’s gonna turn out to be a lot of fun, and teach me a little humility because I’m sure I know nothing about cigars that I think I do. So here it goes…

Cigar marked as #1
The wrapper on this was a very nice medium brown, with minimal veins. It had a very small pinhole about half way down, but it wasn’t anything to worry over. A very nice looking stick overall. It looked like about a robusto size, though I could be wrong.

The pre-light draw and aroma had a slight tanginess to it. Other than that it had a very faint tobacco taste to it. The draw was great, in part because the whole head was clipped off to hide the cap. I actually had to look closely at it to see which end to light. Time to fire this puppy up!

The first third, I tasted that tanginess… and it was good! A lot spice on the back of the throat and through the sinuses too. I tasted a slight roasted coffee flavor in the background. The ash was nice and whitish-gray, though it was a bit flaky, but it wasn’t a big deal as it didn’t fall all over the place. The burn through the first third was a little uneven but not enough to pull out the lighter. I would describe the strength as medium to medium-full.

In the second third the spice kicked up about 5 notches, and a slight woody flavor crept in to the already apparent roasted coffee and tangy flavor. The burn evened itself out and stayed sharp till the end. Other than that it didn’t really change that much.

In the final third the spice and the body backed off a bit. It felt like it was at a good medium range. But all the flavors remained.

If I had to guess I would say it’s an NC cigar, and the country of origin would probably be Nicaragua. I say this because it almost tasted like a DPG blend of some sort. I’m sure I am WAY off with this speculation, but hey: “My name’s Keith Quattrocchi, and I’m a Newbie!”

pembroke3355's review

I smoked cigar #1 tonight. The cigar was a good looking stick that was silky to the touch. It was very firm with no soft spots. It was a medium brown with the slightest tint of red in the wrapper. There was a pretty good crack in the wrapper near the foot but I got through it. I was drinking ginger ale while smoking this stick(your coffee which is excellent would have had me banging off the walls tonight. :laugh:

I thought there might be a draw problem due to the very firm nature of this cigar. The pre-light draw was good with a woody tobacco taste.

The 1st third of the cigar was a little tough due to the split wrapper had to do a couple of touch ups. I found the first 3rd to be medium to full body with a tangy type of spice to it(very pleasant). The draw was excellent with plenty of smoke. The smell was a pleasant aroma.

The second third became less tangy with more of a woody and rich tobacco taste. The burn became much better also as I finally got past the split. Smell stayed the same very pleasant.

The last third the spice kicked in and was more of a peppery spice. It became more full bodied but nothing to strong. The smell still was pleasant but not as pronounced as earlier.

I found the ash to be a light to medium Grey that seemed flaky but held well.

I would say this was a non Cuban. I would guess it was Nicaraguan. It reminded me of a Tatuaje Havana VI or possibly a Pepin.

I really enjoyed this stick. It is right up my ally a good medium to full bodied smoke without being overly strong.

SPIVY's review

Cigar 1:
The cigar was smoked on a walk with the dog. A few things to note about the cigar: Very smooth with few prominent veins, slight box press, a bit oily. It also smelled very pleasant. The smoke started off very mellow and then hit with a strong punch of spice. Very well balanced cigar. It burned very evenly after the foot was torched. It had a medium amount of smoke for this spicy cigar, but I may be wrong since it was on a walk.

Once I got past the first inch, some leathery characteristics came out, and rounded out till the very end. It had a tight but easy draw, and was easy to smoke. It was a cigar that you can enjoy with some friends. It made me think of a couple Cubans that I particularly like, but something tells me that it may be a Nicaraguan.

I would rank it 7.0/10 and a price of 8-10 USD. I would def smoke more of these.

They all found it to be a bit spicy and probably Nicaraguan, actually it was:

Cigar #1 - an Opus X XxX more commonly referred to as the "Power Ranger" from 2007

Dominican Republic made by Fuente
Rosado wrapper and binder
filler - Opus X blend

I figured this would be an easy one, as that peppery, Opus spice is fairly recognizable, but I have to admit after smoking one the other evening, a couple years of age do mellow them out quite a bit.

Great job guys!! Now on to #2!!

Nice Jay! Power Ranger for the first smoke! :D

Very interesting reviews. I'd have to say I enjoy the xXx pretty good, and with some age are definitely more mellow than when fresh. I've got one a BOTL gifted that has a very yellow cello. Now I gotta smoke it see if it tastes Nicaraguan. :p

Great job on the reviews all!

....and the size / shape didn't give it away? Noobs...!!.... :laugh:

Nicely done, all around..... :thumbs:

B.B.S.

B.B.S.

That's what I was thinking. :laugh:

Interesting observations, guys. These blind tests are always fun to watch. One of these days I need to man up and be part of one when offered the chance.

:thumbs:

B.B.S.

In their defense, it seems like perhaps quite a bit of the xXx's rather conspicuous head was missing...

"Q the Cop" said:
The draw was great, in part because the whole head was clipped off to hide the cap. I actually had to look closely at it to see which end to light.

B.B.S.

In their defense, it seems like perhaps quite a bit of the xXx's rather conspicuous head was missing...

"Q the Cop" said:
The draw was great, in part because the whole head was clipped off to hide the cap. I actually had to look closely at it to see which end to light.
Just a little good natured ribbing. It sounds like they're having fun.

For sure--I didn't think it was anything but a little teasing, just thought I'd point out an important factor that may have been overlooked is all...

It is all good fun. I knew going in my palate was not very refined. Now we can see how bad I screw up the rest. :laugh:

Actually, all three of you were close in your descriptions of the tastes, spice, burn, etc. I think you all have just smoked a bunch of Pepins and Tats, and all attributed that spiciness in the back of your throats to the smokes with which you're familiar.

Very similar taste profiles noted by all of you.

Interesting, cannot wait to see what you think of the rest of the smokes!!

For sure--I didn't think it was anything but a little teasing, just thought I'd point out an important factor that may have been overlooked is all...

It hurt to cut that much off of those Power Rangers ... :angry: ! But I was afraid they would recognize it otherwise!

I think you're on to something, Jay. Evil Dr Moki was getting kind of boring.

There are no boring topics, only boring people! ;)

I'm fairly shocked they thought the Opus was Nicaraguan. Man.

Actually, it was Moki's thread that gave me the idea for this! Thanks, Andrew!! ;)

I know a lot of bombs get put in a humidor to be saved for some "special" occasion, where this forces these guys to actually smoke them, and think about what they're smoking without the preconceived notions that the band provides.

Very close descriptions on all the reviews, that's pretty cool! Seems our unrefined pallets are tasting the same things pretty much. Though we were way off! :laugh: In my defense I have only had one Opus before (I have several but I'm hording them LOL). I can't wait to review the rest of them, this is going to be fun!! :thumbs:

There are no boring topics, only boring people! ;)

I'm fairly shocked they thought the Opus was Nicaraguan. Man.

I was surprised as well, but considering the amount of spice in the recent DPG and Tat blends, and the fact that a lot of "newbies" have a great deal of access to those blends, and not the Opus X line of smokes, they equate spice with Nicaraguan smokes. I guess they all need to smoke a couple of aged Padron 2000's (or a '64 or 26) to get a taste for what Nicaraguan tobacco tastes like!! ;)