• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The old man is out of town this weekend.

BSchmidt1981

As the title says my father will be out of town this week to take my mom on a much needed vacation. He has a rather large humidor (hold roughly 300 sticks) that has been sitting in his man cave for about 5 years. He has yet to season it. I have decided, as a good will gesture. (and to make up for him coming home to an empty liquor cabinet many times after prior vacations) to get it up and running for him. Got to hit the local B&M to get some beads, electronic hygrometer, and a box of cigars. Pretty damn excited to get this set up for him. Hell, I wonder if I didn't say anything if he would even notice. Who knows...5 years from now we may have some nicely aged (untouched) sticks sitting in there! Here goes nothin'!

Boveda seasoning packets work really well. You'll probably need all week to season it well, so hold off on buying the cigars, imo. Have fun!

Boveda seasoning packets work really well. You'll probably need all week to season it well, so hold off on buying the cigars, imo. Have fun!

I figured in the time that the humi was seasoning I could babysit the box and my house. Maybe do some quality control as well. Wouldn't want to give him anything that I hand't already tried once or twice...or a dozen times.

Sounds like a great gesture! Just remember, the humidor will need to be maintained. If he's left it sitting this long, he might need your continued assistance keeping the humidifier charged. If not, in five years you'll have nicely aged dried-out garbage.

Haha very true Gavin! Bad/good news to report on this. I wont be able to get this up and running for him. I talked with him on the phone this evening and he informed me that he seasoned it a couple of weeks ago. To further add to the situation he is going down to the local shop tomorrow to get some cigars to put in it for me for checking on his cats while he is gone. Damn I love that guy!

So I went to check on the cats today. Actually I wanted to see what type of cigars he had left me and smoke one! I got more of a surprise than I had bargained for.

I found this sitting on top of the humidor with a small note saying, "Thanks for keeping an eye on the house. I hope thing ring fits. Just know that while you are smoking some of these cigars I will more than likely be in some quilt shop with your mother wanting to shoot myself."

opusring1.jpg

opusring2.jpg

Very cool!

I then opened up the humi! Well a couple of the sticks I posted on my wish list a few days ago will have a check mark next to them. I was very surprised that I remembered to open the sliding glass door when I saw the short stories. I couldn't get outside fast enough to get that bad boy lit up.

640.jpg

Now I have to figure out a way to pay him back. Im thinking there will probably be some steaks on the bbq when they pull into town next weekend.

Very nice! You may want to pull those Tatianas out of there before they affect the taste of the other cigars. Remember right now when Father's day rolls around!

Very nice! Your Dad seems pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing with us!

Damn, your old man is a really nice guy. Is he adopting sons anytime soon? :p

Well done, thanks for sharing!

I feel lucky enough to say that not only is he a great father, he's a better grandfather to my daughter. On top of that one of my best friends. Occasionally people wonder why when I go to Vegas it's always with him. If they only knew. I can say that I have some pretty big shoes to fill. Hey Souldog...he might trade you a room for a few months for one of those cigar band tables. :) As far as the Tatianas are concerned can I move them to the lower level of the humi or should I really take them out all together?

I feel lucky enough to say that not only is he a great father, he's a better grandfather to my daughter. On top of that one of my best friends. Occasionally people wonder why when I go to Vegas it's always with him. If they only knew. I can say that I have some pretty big shoes to fill. Hey Souldog...he might trade you a room for a few months for one of those cigar band tables. :) As far as the Tatianas are concerned can I move them to the lower level of the humi or should I really take them out all together?
Take them out altogether, brother. Throw them in some tupperware instead. Or just smoke 'em.

I wasn't as blessed as you in the Father catagory. Really am a little jealous. Keep that relationship as special as it is!!! ;)

How's that Opus ring!? That thing is cool!
Any story behind how your dad acquired it?

Gavin, I took them out today. Thanks for the advice. Broblues, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel extremely lucky to have him in my life. I try to walk in his foot steps on a daily basis. 4cbln3 there is a unique story. Two months ago I asked my dad to bring me back one of the cigars he and I had on my 21st (9 years ago) from Casa Fuente. My father is recently retired and seems to head to Vegas every couple of months. I used to go all the time but recently my responsibilities with work and my daughter have prevented me from going. After smoking the cigar he brought I started looking around on the net for all things Fuente. I found a really neat ring on fleabay. I looked around on the net and couldn't find another one like it. I didn't have a whole lot of money to bid but I thought if I could get it for under $150 that I would be happy. I put a max bid on it of $150 (or somewhere in that neighborhood). The ebay app on my phone informed me a few days later that I had been out bid. This was about 3 weeks ago. I forgot all about it from that point on When I saw that ring sitting on the humi I called my dad and asked him where in the world he found it as it was just too coincidental. Well guess who outbid me without knowing it?

My father and I have had some really strange things happen with rings on ebay. One more quick story and I promise to shut the hell up.

I grew up bowling. When I was 23 I shot my first 300. My dad and I discussed getting a 300 ring as he said he would buy it for me. The design of the rings change every few years I think. We both agreed we didnt like the design that year. Long story short Christmas rolls around about 6 months later. I open a small present to discover a 300 ring with a design from a few years prior (looked much nicer). I thanked my dad but he had this shit eating grin on his face and he told me to look in the ring. Inside the band, engraved, was the name of the person he bought it from on ebay. Bryan Schmidt. I gave him a WFT look like "Did you forget it spelled Brian not Bryan? " As it turned out it was bought from another Bryan Schmidt...just a different spelling. Two stories with rings from ebay that make you think what are the effin odds. Its damn near like hitting the lottery twice.

So there you have it. Nothing sentimental but one (or two) hell of a story to tell every time that I wear it in the future. I found an old discussion on here about these rings the other day when I tried to look them up. http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=42613.

I know I'm new to the site but I want to thank everyone for all the comments and help that everyone has provided so far (on this post and others). You guys are pretty kick ass in my book and I look forward to learning from all the suggestions that everyone has to offer and getting to know everyone a little better in the future.