• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The origins of OOOrah?!

Cheekie

Yeah fuggers, I am still around!
Ok fellas, as you know I am the woman who lived in a shoe... My pride and joy ( and source of greatest frustrations ) has been pinned the military man since birth. We have high hopes for Laz (10) and he has been proactive enough to agree to go once he is legal to. While sitting around a campfire last night he posed an interesting question. "Where did it come from and who owns the term "ooorah"?" I did some searches, but, alas conflicting stories. ANY one know a definitive answer?

Ok fellas, as you know I am the woman who lived in a shoe... My pride and joy ( and source of greatest frustrations ) has been pinned the military man since birth. We have high hopes for Laz (10) and he has been proactive enough to agree to go once he is legal to. While sitting around a campfire last night he posed an interesting question. "Where did it come from and who owns the term "ooorah"?" I did some searches, but, alas conflicting stories. ANY one know a definitive answer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oorah

Don't confuse it with that silly Army "Hooah"

Gunny Ermy on one of my favorite shows "Mail Call" on Discovery uses it all the time.
and here is a link to one of my all time favorite sound boards, I use it at work to tell my co-workers how I really feel, without actually saying it.
FMJ Sound board

We sailors, of course, are not moved but such pedestrian methods of moral boosting. We require rum and naughty wenches.

Doc.

HA! And you get neither unless you count the EN's as naughty wrenches :p

We sailors, of course, are not moved but such pedestrian methods of moral boosting. We require rum and naughty wenches.

Doc.

Aye, aye, what me shipmate said!

Upon receiving the info so kindly provided I sat the kid in front of Wiki, once he consumed that info he was rather impressed. But he promptly stuck his foot in his mouth with:
Laz:" That's not real."
Mom: "oh? what gives you that idea?"
Laz: "well because, it was on the Guardian and they are Coast Guard"
Mom: " There are different versions of the word, all with different branches using it. "
Laz: "oh? So really it isn't just Marines?"
Mom: " Well, every one says it differently with different meaning... "
Laz: " so it isn't just the Marine's"
Mom:" Laz..."
Laz: " So it Can be the Coast Guard, if I choose to belive it to be..." sigh " it's like Santa Clause you can belive him to be like anything , right?"
Mom: " you could, but..."
Laz: " Ok so I belive it to be Air Force"
Mom: " You're grounded. Go to your room and I want a full report of the origination of Ooohrah on your own, before you are off grounding!! Oh, and you can't use the source I provided you! "
Distant stomps up stairs...

CAN TEACH EM!

Doc.

Aye, aye, what me shipmate said!

Upon receiving the info so kindly provided I sat the kid in front of Wiki, once he consumed that info he was rather impressed. But he promptly stuck his foot in his mouth with:
Laz:" That's not real."
Mom: "oh? what gives you that idea?"
Mom: " There are different versions of the word, all with different branches using it. "
Laz: "oh? So really it isn't just Marines?"
Mom: " Well, every one says it differently with different meaning... "
Laz: " so it isn't just the Marine's"
Mom:" Laz..."
Laz: " So it Can be the Coast Guard, if I choose to belive it to be..." sigh " it's like Santa Clause you can belive him to be like anything , right?"
Mom: " you could, but..."
Laz: " Ok so I belive it to be Air Force"
Mom: " You're grounded. Go to your room and I want a full report of the origination of Ooohrah on your own, before you are off grounding!! Oh, and you can't use the source I provided you! "
Distant stomps up stairs...

CAN TEACH EM!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is just the Marines for OOORAH!

The Army has Hooha

The Navy has each other

The Airforce doesn't have any motovation and so doesn't need a saying

I have no idea what the Coasties have.

:whistling:

I have no idea what the Coasties have.

:whistling:

Cute Cheerleading outfits and Pom Poms?!

:whistling: :whistling: