• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Partagas Culebras

robbiex0r

scum
The Original
Partagas was the first to release a culebra as a production cigar. Stories suggest that tourists visiting the factories would see the culebras belonging to the torcedores and presumably be wrought with envy over the unique braids (The origin of the culebra remains debated). Sometime before 1960, pre-Castro, Partagas released machine-bunched, hand-finished culebras. They came in a dress box of 8 braids wrapped in foil, and a single cigar, either in twisty form or straight, also in foil. Each cigar was 146mm (5.74”) long and had a ring gauge of 39. The entire box sold for under one hundred dollars. These boxes were available for purchase until around 2005 when they were discontinued.

75725_657905291095_73400301_38070682_2797797_n.jpg

Original 25 count box, 8 braids and one single. Sometimes the single was still curly, having been pulled from a complete braid.

75366_657905281115_73400301_38070681_7171327_n.jpg

Pre-2007 Band

The Elegant
Around July of 2007, the new hand-made Partagas culebras were introduced. With each braid in its own slide-top coffin and three coffins to a dress box, this release raised the status of culebras from novelty to elegant luxury. Each cigar remained about the same size as its machine-made predecessor. The new braids included red binding ribbon, as opposed to the twine of old, and a band redesign. A price increase repositioned the culebra in Partagas’ offerings. Introduced for around $125 per box, the new cigar reached for prestige status. Currently, the boxes can be found for under $100.

76708_657905306065_73400301_38070683_3785651_n.jpg

The new handmade Partagas are wrapped in this oversized band.

[more pictures to come]

Only had the post 2007 version of these - one of my favorite Cubans. And sharing it with two others with all three of us smoking a curved cigar - hilarious.

John

I can't recall where I read it, but it was explained that the torcedores were allowed to take one cigar home with them each day and in the interest of making their free bounty last, they rolled three cigars and braided them into a culebra (which translates to "snake").

I can't recall where I read it, but it was explained that the torcedores were allowed to take one cigar home with them each day and in the interest of making their free bounty last, they rolled three cigars and braided them into a culebra (which translates to "snake").

That's what I've read as well but can't recall where either.

Very nice!

I've only ever had one each of the old machine-made and new hand-made Culebras. Very nice smoke, burns and draws fantastic (especially considering the abuse it takes in getting wetted and braided together).

Also, the enormous Partagas band is very nice for posing as the centerpiece of a cigar-band ashtray. (would post a pic of the one I made years ago, but it was unfortunately lost when I had my belongings in storage and the unit flooded :( )

If I may request....I'd love to see a pic of the lone single cigar that used to round off a 25-box of old machine-made Culebras. Anyone?