• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The rational case for Cigars (from a non smoker/soon to be smoker?)...

cigar2347

So I am new to cigars and used to think how ridiculous it is to pay 10 bucks or more for bunch of dried up tobacco with a fancy band.
But i was thinking, when you really think about it, relative to other hobbies that deal with the taste buds, cigars give the best value.
if you are someone who can really taste cigars (which i am not YET) it is such a great value,

Expense
Example, if you like whiskey or scotch in addition to bottles ranging in the thousands, even a single drink of the fanciest blend could range in the hundreds when all said and done. And the experience is only for maximum maybe half hour vs a single cigar that can last as long as 1 hour.

the most expensive cigar which i think is Cohiba? is still only $60 per cigar, sure expensive but still within reach vs other luxury goods that are not within reach, the most expensive bottle of whiskey probably a 1000.

Health Effects
Sure its a carcinogen but what isn't? a burnt toast is probably as carcinogen for the mouth and body.

Cigar is neither addictive nor is it a gateway to other more damaging things, unlike alcohol.

Cost to Society
second hand smoke can be harmful, but more pollutant comes out of an environmentalist electric car than a cigar!!!!!!.
Also when was the last time any cigar smoker hot boxed a room or refused to smoke in a room where he was not welcomed
While drunk driving kills and ruins families and relationships, a happy cigar smoker only makes the people around him happier, including the non smoker. Also i have yet to meet an arrogant cigar smoker.

all in all pizza can be more damaging to the pocket, health, and society compared to cigars.

Glad to see your enthusiasm entering the hobby, it's a fun world full of awesome guys & girls that are always willing to help.

I've gained so much wisdom from this forum, and it's helped in part to educate a friend of mine that is just getting into cigars.

The reality is that we as cigar lovers are bunched in with the chain smoking back alley addicts whom the million dollar anti-smoking campaigns are pointed at.

We can only educate those that need the direction, and hope that one day they will too enjoy a great cigar.

-Jimmy

Could not agree more with Jimmy, infact I have a brother/inlaw that was a non smoker until I introduced him to a fine Cuban cigar and single malt scotch, now we have regular herfs even though I rarely saw him before that because he lives 2 hours drive from here.
Enjoy your new vice bro, there is no going back from here.

Herf- group Licking of cigars.

Jk. When people get together and have a good time smoking cigars.

Check out the newbie trade thread in the marketplace, and welcome!

My rationale for cigar smoking:

Because we enjoy it... :)

So I am new to cigars and used to think how ridiculous it is to pay 10 bucks or more for bunch of dried up tobacco with a fancy band.
But i was thinking, when you really think about it, relative to other hobbies that deal with the taste buds, cigars give the best value.
if you are someone who can really taste cigars (which i am not YET) it is such a great value,

Expense
Example, if you like whiskey or scotch in addition to bottles ranging in the thousands, even a single drink of the fanciest blend could range in the hundreds when all said and done. And the experience is only for maximum maybe half hour vs a single cigar that can last as long as 1 hour.

the most expensive cigar which i think is Cohiba? is still only $60 per cigar, sure expensive but still within reach vs other luxury goods that are not within reach, the most expensive bottle of whiskey probably a 1000.

I use to think like that also. NO way I'm paying 100 for a bottle of scotch! Now the cigar passion has begun and I'm scared it takes me to the scotch addiction level I have ... lol

Congrats on finding this place you'll find it to be full of resources and valuable knowledge to say the least ! (I've been reading 95% of the time since I joined)

Just dont bring up beads licking in one of your threads and you'll be okay !

see you around!