• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Science of Tasting

handypilot

When I started smoking cigars a couple of years ago I would lightly "bite" the head as I drew smoke, so the head of the cigar was farther in my mouth. I thought this looked cooler, kinda the gangster or Ditka way of smoking cigars. This is how I thought it should be done.

Well I may have been missing out on a couple years of good smokes. I was watching some of the review videos on cigaraficionado.com and noticed one of the editors smoking with just the head of the cigar at his lips and in front of his teeth. It looked a little gay if you ask me, but maybe he's gay...I don't know. Then I got to thinking about the taste buds in your mouth and how there's higher concentrations of sweet taste buds in certain areas (the tip of the tongue, check this out), so I tried this technique. To my suprise there was a difference in taste...I could taste the sweeter flavors more readily, and it made for a better experience.

So if you can get over looking a little feminine, I think you'll have a better smoking experience. Try it, and let me know what you think.

I've read through several of THESE articles about tasting and whatnot. Some interesting stuff at least.

If you're worried about how masculine you may look, might I remind you we are all sucking on a phallus?
:rolleyes:

When I started smoking cigars a couple of years ago I would lightly "bite" the head as I drew smoke, so the head of the cigar was farther in my mouth. I thought this looked cooler, kinda the gangster or Ditka way of smoking cigars. This is how I thought it should be done.

Well I may have been missing out on a couple years of good smokes. I was watching some of the review videos on cigaraficionado.com and noticed one of the editors smoking with just the head of the cigar at his lips and in front of his teeth. It looked a little gay if you ask me, but maybe he's gay...I don't know. Then I got to thinking about the taste buds in your mouth and how there's higher concentrations of sweet taste buds in certain areas (the tip of the tongue, check this out), so I tried this technique. To my suprise there was a difference in taste...I could taste the sweeter flavors more readily, and it made for a better experience.

So if you can get over looking a little feminine, I think you'll have a better smoking experience. Try it, and let me know what you think.

I never cared how I looked when smoking a cigar...should I?

Wouldn't it be more gay if he deep throated it while cupping the balls?

Working my way up from a corona. I'm getting some great flavors from the cherry when it gets in behind the lips. I hope to be up to a Churchill by next week. Damn that gag reflex though. Maybe Jonesy can find me a job! :p

Working my way up from a corona. I'm getting some great flavors from the cherry when it gets in behind the lips. I hope to be up to a Churchill by next week. Damn that gag reflex though. Maybe Jonesy can find me a job! :p

You might want to switch over to a pyrimide, the tapered tip might give you the extra bit you're looking for :laugh:

I was watching some of the review videos on cigaraficionado.com and noticed one of the editors smoking with just the head of the cigar at his lips and in front of his teeth.

I think I'll give that a try and see what happens with me. Thanks for the idea.

Don't forget to roll the eyes back like a shark whilst doing it :sign: :sign: :laugh:

Okay, where was I??? I tried smoking like that for a little while,not so much for the tasting part but to try to keep the end from getting all soggy and soft. Ended up putting nicotine stains on my front teeth more.
My sense of taste is still the same so I'm cool with the slug lips.