• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Tossers

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
Some of you may already know I’m a huge Dropkick Murphys, Street Dogs and Flogging Molly fan and because of that, people have suggested that I check out The Tossers. The Tossers have actually been around longer than the other three groups I mentioned are not quite as well known as Flogging Molly or DKM.

I started collecting their CDs earlier in the year and the first time couple of times I saw them at a show, they were warming up for the Street Dogs in July of this year. In August, I saw them warm up for the Dropkick Murphys. Unfortunately, when a band warms up for a main act, they usually only play for 45 minutes or so and are lucky if they can fit eight or nine songs in that short amount of time.

So this September, they announced a short tour where they’d be headlining in the northeast and I looked at the schedule and said “Hey, I can make at least five of those shows!” so I planned a little mini-vacation starting the week of September 17th and saw their shows in:

Portland, ME
Burlington, VT
Providence, RI
Boston, MA
Asbury Park, NJ

Between Portland and Burlington, I had time to meet DevilDoc for lunch in Concord, NH, he started a thread about that. :laugh:

The Tossers formed in Chicago in the early 1990s and almost all of the members were born and grew up on the south side. The newest member of the group is the fiddle player Rebecca who is originally from Wisconsin. They have five full length CDs and a five-song EP.

Their CDs are:

Communication and Conviction (2001)
Long Dim Road (2000)
First League Out From Land (the 5 song EP) (2001)
Purgatory (2003)
The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death (2005)
Agony (2007)

Communication and Conviction is actually a compilation of their first two CDs “The Pint of No Return” and “We’ll Never Be Sober Again” which are no longer available plus three songs they added when they released this CD including their version of "Irish Rover."

First League Out From Land contains one original song (the title cut) and four others which they didn’t write. What’s interesting though is when they released Purgatory, they recorded a slightly different (longer) version of First League Out From Land and included it on Purgatory.

Their two latest CDs are on Victory Records which is a major independent label. The other CDs are from a company called Thick Records (a smaller independent label) which is why they are kind of hard to get at this point. Recently though, The Tossers re-released Communication and Conviction through a different publishing company called Paddy on the Spot so it’s easier to get now.

Anyway, on to the shows. What’s very interesting about The Tossers’ shows is that they have a standard “guide” for a set list then add in songs here and there, based on audience requests or what the band wants to do. Each night, they played at least 17 songs and a couple of times, they did 24 songs.

Here’s a list of what they played every night I saw them:

Aye Sir (Communication and Conviction)
Did It All For You (Agony)
Siobban (Agony)
I’ve Pursued Nothing (Valley of the Shadow of Death)
No Loot, No Booze, No Fun (Valley of the Shadow of Death)
Never Enough (Agony)
The Sheep in the Boots (Agony)
Galway Races (Tradtional and The Pogues)
Maidrin Rua/Tell Me Ma (Communication and Conviction)
Goodmorning Da (Valley of the Shadow of Death)
Preab San Ol (Valley of the Shadow of Death)
Faraway (Purgatory)

They played these three or four nights:
Buckets of Beer (Communication and Conviction)
The Crutch (Long Dim Road)
The Pub (Long Dim Road)

From this point on, each night was different and you never knew what they were going to play. I specifically asked them to play Nantucket Girl's Song at the Burlington show and First League Out From Land at the Providence show and they were nice enough to do them. They hadn’t played either of them in a long time and Tony “T” Duggins, the front man and mandolin player had to make sure he remembered the mandolin parts.

They also played a variety of different songs usually only one of the nights I saw them. Some of these included classic traditional Irish songs like:

Black Velvet Band
Seven Drunken Nights
D’Hampton Worm
Dicey Riley
Camptown Races
The Parting Glass
Black is the Color
The Wind That Shakes The Barley Down
Paddy Works On The Railway

And some of their classic songs which they rarely play like:

First League Out From Land
Nantucket Girl’s Song
Altercations
When You Get Here
A Night On Earth
Monday Morning

IMO, the best thing I saw during the whole week was on Thursday night at the show in Boston, T Duggins took the stage solo and sang a classic Eric Bogle song from 1972 “And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda” which is an anti war song about an Austrailian soldier in World War I. Sean MacGowan's (The Pogues) version of this song is probably the best known, mostly for the way he sings this with strong feeling and emotion but I’ll tell ya, T did an absolutely EXCELLENT job with this song, it was very moving and almost had the crowd in tears.

Before and after each show, I was able to talk to each of the band members and their three support people, Dave the bus driver, John the merchandise guy and Justin, the equipment manager. I gotta tell ya, these are the nicest and most gracious musicians I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting and talking to. I learned quite a bit about the band’s history and some of the ins and outs of what it’s like for them on the road. The Tossers tour bus is an older Eagle coach bus that is set up to sleep twelve people and every week or so, they’ll stay in a hotel but they usually just sleep on the bus. On Wedensday night (Sept. 19th) I figured I’d offer to let them stay at my house if they wanted to since I live close to Providence, RI. I figured they would appreciate the gesture and say they were all set BUT they surprised me by accepting my offer. They followed me home and we had a great time visiting, listening to KISS and Cheap Trick CDs, drinking and smoking cigars. :thumbs:

If you ever have the chance to see The Tossers, don’t pass it up. If you’ve never heard of them and are thinking about taking a chance on one of their CDs, buy their newest one “Agony.” My personal favorite is “Purgatory” and the funny thing is that it’s their least popular one BUT once you become a hardcore fan (like me) you realize that this one is classic Tossers with a couple of their best songs (Faraway, Nantucket Girl’s Song, First League Out From Land, Chicago) that you must have.

Thanks for insisting I see the Tossers. Went to the last concert on this most recent tour, which ended last night at the Abbey Pub in Chicago. What a great time!!!

I was very surprised at the diversity of the fans in attendance. I thought I was going to be the only "grandpa" in the bunch. Not so!!! I took my 18 yo son with - he had an even better time than I did (he's a HUGE Flogging Molly fan and says the Tossers are much better!)

Great bunch of guys, too. They were very accessible to the fans - they spent time in the crowd talking with fans. Their "roadie", Justin was an absolute trip!

The warm up bands were the Vacancies (definitely a LOUD punk band), followed by Kevin Flynn and the Avondale Ramblers. The Avondale Ramblers played a number of Irish folk/punk tunes...

They're saying they will be doing another tour in November - If you like Celtic music in any form, make it a point to see them!

Been a fan of DKM and have heard of the tossers before...I think it was on a compilation CD. Great recommendation Bill!

George is right about their tour later in the year. This time it will be out west so I'll keep ya updated as they start lining up the dates. They're going to be touring in Europe in the beginning of 2008 as well.

George also told me that the fans at the show in Chicago were treated to The Tossers' version of "Molly Malone" (also known as "Cockles and Mussels") the unofficial anthem of Dublin City. :thumbs:

MollyMalone.jpg

"As she wheeled her wheel-barrow, through streets broad and narrow......"

Now THAT must have been awesome! :)

I think I saw these guys open for DKM in Austin, March 2006 (I think) The were fugghin great! Also on the card was Sick Of It All and the Horrorpops (they rock). It was a great show, and if I can ever get back home long enuff to see them again I will.

Tim

Thanks for insisting I see the Tossers. Went to the last concert on this most recent tour, which ended last night at the Abbey Pub in Chicago. What a great time!!!

I was very surprised at the diversity of the fans in attendance. I thought I was going to be the only "grandpa" in the bunch. Not so!!! I took my 18 yo son with - he had an even better time than I did (he's a HUGE Flogging Molly fan and says the Tossers are much better!)

Great bunch of guys, too. They were very accessible to the fans - they spent time in the crowd talking with fans. Their "roadie", Justin was an absolute trip!

The warm up bands were the Vacancies (definitely a LOUD punk band), followed by Kevin Flynn and the Avondale Ramblers. The Avondale Ramblers played a number of Irish folk/punk tunes...

They're saying they will be doing another tour in November - If you like Celtic music in any form, make it a point to see them!

George, aren't you like 85? I just can't picture you in your Sansabelt slacks and walker rocking out to a Irish punk band :laugh:

This past month, The Tossers have been touring with the Dropkick Murphys and The Briggs. I had planned on going to the last show of the tour in Burlington, VT this Sunday, November 18th but I don't think that's going to happen. :( What kinda sucks about The Tossers and The Briggs warming up is they only play for a little over a half an hour each so you don't get to see them play very many songs. The DKMs though will be playing a full 1 hour and 40 minute, 26+ song set. I've seen the DKMs three times in the past couple of months so that set list is pretty much the same as it will be this Sunday in Vermont.

George saw them in Milwaukee last week. :D

I got a call today from Duffy, The Tossers' merchandise guy who told me that when they tried to cross the border into Canada today, Canadian customs wouldn't allow them to bring their merchandise into the country so he had to unload it from the bus and rent a car to meet up with the band in Vermont on Sunday while the band went on to do two shows in Canada today and tomorrow! :0 He said that customs had them tied up for over two hours. :0

The Dropkick Murphys finish their tour on Sunday BUT the Tossers are playing two more shows on their way back to Chicago for Thanksgiving, one at The Union Hall in Brooklyn, NY on Monday, November 19th and one in Pittsburgh, PA on November 20th.

I'm hoping to make the show in Brooklyn on the 20th. :thumbs: Any of you NYC guys (that don't hate me :laugh: ) ought to stop by and check out the show!

All you need is a tattoo and some longer tours and you'll turn into the Irish punk version of a Dead Head :p

All you need is a tattoo and some longer tours and you'll turn into the Irish punk version of a Dead Head :p

Some hair might help too! :laugh:

OH MAN, WHAT A SHOW!!

I got to Union Hall around 5:30 in the evening and The Tossers showed up around 7:30, someone gave them horrible directions and they went the LONG way around, got stuck in traffic and had a horrible time navigating their tour bus through the narrow streets of the Park Slope section of Brooklyn.

Speaking of Park Slope, "common" Dan where were ya? :laugh: Bay Ridge is less than four miles away and I even parked my car on 4th Avenue right next to the subway stop for Union Street. All ya would've had to do was jump on the R train at the 77th St. station and go 8 stops and you're there. I even could have got ya on the guest list!

So anyway, since the band was a little late, the warm up band started around 9:00 pm and finished somewhere between 9:30 and 9:45. The Tossers came on a little after 10:00 and played right up until midnight. They had to stop at midnight because it's a requirement of the liquor permit for the club, no bands are allowed to play after midnight. That's okay because the bars are open until 4:00 am in New York City. :0

Since The Tosser were headlining, they played TWENTY THREE songs instead of the eight or nine they play when they warm up for another band. Here's the set list:

1. Good Morning Da
2. Siobban
3. Aye Sir
4. No Loot, No Booze, No Fun
5. Dicey Riley
6. Where Ya Been Johnny
7. A Night On Earth
8. Leopardstown Races
9. The Crock of Gold
10. Maidrin Rua/Tell Me Ma
11. The Sheep in the Boots
12. The Auld Triangle (Traditional)
13. Buckets of Beer
14. Black is the Color (Traditional)
15. I’ve Pursued Nothing
16. Seven Drunken Nights
17. All For Me Grog (Dubliners)
18. When You Get Here
19. Shipping Up To Boston (Dropkick Murphys)
20. Irish Rover (Pogues)
21. Dirty Old Town (Traditional)
22. Trepany (An original Tossers song that isn’t available on any CD)
23. The Parting Glass

What was kind of funny was they did the famous Dropkick Murphy's "Shipping Up To Boston" because they'd been hearing the DKMs play this song every night since the beginning on the month, I guess they missed hearing it. :laugh:

After the show, Tony "T" Duggins (the lead singer and mandolin player) sat down with some of the people and played his mandolin "unplugged" and sang traditional Irish Songs. He pretty much did this until we all left at 2:00 am. :0 Dan, Mike, Bones, Duffy and Justin played Bocce on the two indoor bocce courts with some of the patrons. Here's a photo of the bocce courts:
bocce_home.jpg

I yakked with Aaron and Rebecca for quite a while after the show.

Duffy (the merchandise guy) took some great group photos of us on the bocce courts. :p I'll post them when he emails them to me.

All in all it was a great time! :thumbs:

They followed me home and we had a great time visiting, listening to KISS and Cheap Trick CDs, drinking and smoking cigars. :thumbs:

Bill, if you're not careful, you're going to lose your membership to the right winger's club, what with hanging out with all these radical punk rockers. Then you'd have to take down your mantle piece. LOL!!!
bush_lord-vi.jpg

They followed me home and we had a great time visiting, listening to KISS and Cheap Trick CDs, drinking and smoking cigars. :thumbs:

Bill, if you're not careful, you're going to lose your membership to the right winger's club, what with hanging out with all these radical punk rockers. Then you'd have to take down your mantle piece. LOL!!!
bush_lord-vi.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

Shhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, okay! :D

The Tossers are touring with Social Distortion for half of their upcoming tour. Here are the dates:

Nov 30 2007 8:00P Marquis Theatre Denver, Colorado
Dec 1 2007 8:00P Burt’s Tiki Lounge Salt Lake City, Utah
Dec 2 2007 8:00P O’skis Pub Sparks, Nevada
Dec 3 2007 8:00P Independent San Francisco, California
Dec 4 2007 7:00P Chain Reaction Anaheim, California
Dec 5 2007 7:00P House of Blues San Diego, California
Dec 7 2007 6:00P Dobson Ice Arena Vail, Colorado

After the New Year holiday, they'll be heading out for a European tour.

And they're booked for an Irish Festival in Jacksonville, FL next spring:

Apr 26 2008 8:00P Jacksonville Irish Festival Jacksonville, Florida

Here are the pictures of us on the Bocce court:
119_1979.jpg

119_1980.jpg

The guy with the goatee is Dave, the bus driver, the guy drinking the beer right in back of Rebecca (with the scarf) is Justin, the master roadie and John "Duffy," the merch. guy is the one in the back wearing the grey hoodie. The rest is the whole band with two "extras" mixed in (the chick on the far left and they guy on the far right in the white and blue, I have no idea who they are...)

The guy in the blue and white, on the right, is checking his reflection, I think.

The Tossers just got done tonight with a European tour, finishing up on March 6th in Dublin. They just released a live album called "Gloatin' & Showboatin'" which was recorded at their St. Patrick's Day show at the Metro in Chicago in 2006. This is their schedule for St. Patrick's Day weekend:

03/14/2008 - METRO
Chicago, IL
St Patrick's Day show with Kevin Flynn and the Avondale Ramblers, the Arrivals and Deals Gone Bad. This show is 18 and over

03/15/2008 - The National Shamrock Festival
Washington, DC
The RFK Festival Grounds
shamrockfest.com

03/17/2008 - The Turner Hall Ballroom
Milwaukee, WI

04/26/2008 08:00 AM - Jacksonville Irish Festival
Jacksonville Fairgrounds (510 Fairgrounds Place)
Jacksonville, Florida 32204 - $10

Anyone going to the Milwaukee show on St. Patrick's Day? ???

Seeing The Tossers on St. Patrick's Day would be fantastic! :whistling:

Anyone going to the Milwaukee show on St. Patrick's Day? ???

Seeing The Tossers on St. Patrick's Day would be fantastic! :whistling:

Hmmmm... Maybe... I'm kicking the tires on that idea.... :whistling:

You guys should check out the Wicked Tinkers. They play here in Boise at the Scottish Games every year. They are based in CA I believe and do a number of shows down there. Its all instrumental, but Celtic in origin. The music is enchanting and they are an absolute riot in person.

[post="0"]Linky[/post]

Sept-Oct-ebay112.jpg

-J