• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thinking of quitting smoking

smithrob75

I don't quite enjoy smoking cigars like I used to and I think that's because I smoke so many and smoke everyday. I think if I quit for a while it would restore my palate and I would also save money and be able to age my cigars more. I would imagine the 1st cigar after not smoking a while would be very tasty.

Am I too far off ?

If you want to feel like a giddy school girl when you light that first one after your hiatus, just send me all you have now. That way you get the fun of doing all the shopping, finding deals, unwrapping new boxes....man, just think how good that first one will be after you get to have Christmas all over again!

Addy in profile! :cool: :whistling:

That would be one way to age your smokes.

If thats what you choose good luck to you!

I have often considered doing the same thing. What I'd really prefer to do is smoke about one or two good cigars a week. The problem is that I don't think I have the will power to quit cold turkey and then limit myself to the aforementioned one or two per week without starting to chain smoked Cuban Belis again! Also, the extra cash would be great! I could finally buy nice cigars and age them awhile so they'd be even better! Right now I am like a junky that can't stop!

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose to do.

The odd part is that when you start up again and your pallet is restored you may not like the same cigars. So................... :whistling:

If I were in this situation, I would quit for a little while, maybe a couple of months or so, and then enjoy 1 cigar per week. You may just be a little burned out of cigars, and probably just need a rest. For me, a cigar is one of two things. Either an hour to myself to enjoy some quiet-time, or a stogie to sit for an hour and bs with friends, so I haven't been faced with a decision like this before. Just my .02.

I've thought about going back to cigarettes or Skoal fulltime, and leaving the cigars alone for a while myself. I've even thought about hitting the Pipe (tobacco pipe, that is). I always come back to the cigars because none of those other vices seem to relax me and wind me down after a long day than a nice cigar. Likewise, I cannot enjoy a mouthful of Skoal after a thick T-bone as much as I could enjoy a nice maduro robusto! :D

About this time of the year, my consumption nearly goes to zero. I usually smoke outside and when the nights start to get cold I will not smoke as often, it at all. So, if you are an outdoor smoker too, you might be smoking less anyway. Of course, I only smoke once a week, so a month or two off isn't that big of a deal to me.

quitters never win
...and, winners never quit.
But - people that never win and never quit are idiots.... :p

OK, back on topic....when I find myself getting 'burned out' I just take a couple of days off. That seems to do it for me. On the weekends, it's often two or sometimes three smokes a day but during the week, there are for sure nights where I just don't have the time to really enjoy a good cigar....so I don't. End up going a couple of days without a smoke, just dealing with life.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

The smell of wintergreen skoal will make me puke in an instant.... ACKKK

I have never been burned out cigars personally... I would take a two week break. Folks say after two weeks your body has completely readjusted to the lack of nicotine and that all the side effects of it are gone. Who knows!!

Good luck

Isn't that what winter is for? When it's entirely too cold to smoke outside, and you can't smoke in the house, and you've got two kids under 4 years old, so you just simply don't get out to a lounge or bar as often?

Do what you enjoy and enjoy what you do.

If you don’t enjoy cigars right now, stop for a couple of weeks and try it again.
If you still don’t enjoy them, maybe cigars aren’t for you…

Over the last few years I've cut back to one or two a week, and enjoy those one or two much more than the cigars I smoked when I was smoking daily.

I've been thinking the same thing lately.
Opus to me has a distinct taste. But when I smoke other cigars, I feel I sometimes cannot taste the difference. I keep thinking that if I can't, I'm just wasting money.
What started out as a 2 or 3 cigar a week habit has steamrolled into a 2 cigar a day habit. When I was sick last winter, I quit for 2 weeks to give my body a rest. When I lit my 1st cigar after 2 weeks, the taste was unreal. I think that I have blown out my tastebuds. I'm gonna try to quit for a week or two but I have the feeling that it's going to be like going thru detox.

Kind of sad to see people stopping, especially for a newbie like me. I just have one when I crave one, that way I don't get burned out. Ends up to be about 4 a week.

I don't want you guys to get the wrong idea. I still enjoy cigars quite a bit. It just that I'll smoke a few a day and on the weekend I'll chain smoke cigars till my throat is sore. Also I probably have a collection of 500-600 cigars so I'll probably never completly quit, but I do want to enjoy it more..

I remember when I started I enjoyed anything and everything, I was happy just to be smoking. But after smoking OpusX, VSG, 1926 and 1964, all kinds of Habanos, RP Vintage, etc I'm pretty picky about what I smoke.

My happy medium is one per week at most. I find that I really set aside time to enjoy the smoke and it always turns out to be an experience. I am able to curb the cravings by staying occupied with other areas of cigars. Coming to this site for example fullfills my smoking void b/c I am reading about cigars and viewing pics of cigars etc. I have become nuts about the maintenance of the humi and rotating the sticks etc b/c it gives me something to do and I can see and touch the stash a few times per week. I also find myself spending more time looking for deals and reading reviews. I also spend a little more time trying to find more lacal B&M's that I can go to. I know it is probably taboo to say here but if you need motivation to scale back then think of your health. JMHO. Best of luck!

See my post in the seeking anejos post.

Like I said I'll being watching.