• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thompson Brand

Smokin'Tone

I just might be your huckleberry
Well, after about 3 months in the humidor these cigars finally are beginning to come around.  They were pretty nasty when they first arrived, but now have a nice, smooth taste.  I believe they picked up the tastes of my maduro's and others that are resting, but regardless, they taste fine now.

This particular cigar has a red label that just says Thompson.    As I said, they were harsh when they first came in.  Pre nose now is a mild, cedary smell, with hints of chocolate (picked up from the maduro's).  Toasting the foot the smell became more of a light toast, with the same cedar smell.  After about 10 puffs, the cigar began to come to life.  Cedar, light butter taste and what to me tasted like good coffee.  Half way down, the tastes began to blend a bit better, even became a hair lighter.  I smoked to about a quarter of an inch, when the harshness came back and ran hot.

Overall, I'd say for the price ($25 for 25) and allowing them to age a bit, they turned into a fairly decent cigar.  I think with longer time asleep, they'll become smoother.  

If anyone wants to try one, I'll gift one to you.  I only have about 10 left, and I want to keep 3 to see if they'll smooth out, but ya, if you want, PM me or whatever and I'll shoot you one.  Most of you guys will probably think this is a rocket, but they were cheap, and well, I ended up liking them.  So rockets away!  heheh  ;)

-Tony

Go over to JR's and try some Connies...better yet, get in a newbie pass and try a few!!! I will be starting a pass soon, and it will be geared for all pass levels(except you nasty ultra premium FOG's<lol>)Anyways, I have had one and It wasn't worth my dollar...Just my 2 cents.

Emo

Just placed an order for a bundle of Connie's. #30's.
Whoot!

I'm in J.Lew's pass and if Big Worm's happens, I'm hopefully in that one. After those are over, I've been thinking of throwing a pass together, kind of to see what everyone else is into, and to get a few new smokes.

The Thompsons were really bad Emo. I swear if they didn't pick up the other smokes flavors, I was going to sacrifice them to the Smoke Gods. But I lucked out. Also helps that I have a culinry background and kind of 'tricked' myself into liking them. I could pick up the very subtle tastes in the newly 'married' monsters.

Anyways... I'll let you know what I think of the Connie's sometime next week when they show up.

-Tony

JR's is notorious for shipping wet cigars. So the one you pull out to smoke off the truck probably needs to sit out for a couple of hours. I would also pull out the humidifier from your box and let it come down to %60 RH or so before dropping them in. That, or put them in a dry box for a day or 2 before putting them in the dor. Just my 2 cents.

Emo

emodx said:
JR's is notorious for shipping wet cigars. So the one you pull out to smoke off the truck probably needs to sit out for a couple of hours. I would also pull out the humidifier from your box and let it come down to %60 RH or so before dropping them in. That, or put them in a dry box for a day or 2 before putting them in the dor. Just my 2 cents.

Emo
Great to know. That's my first order from JR. Usually I pick up cigars in one of the stores in the City, but it's become so freakin $$$$ to buy in NY. Dadgum taxes :(

I've got an extra humi sitting around, so I'll let them rest for a few days before attacking them :D

Thanks Emo Brotha

-Tony

I've had one Thompson the only thing I can say good is it was better than a Swisher. lol seriously I only had one because my friend at work bought a humi and a bundle came with it. If I were you I'd hang on to a couple to give away, a couple of my friends always want a cigar and smoke about one inch and put it out (it makes me weep!) I always keep a few thompson quality rockets around for them (they wont know the difference) bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh :D

:p

I just can't even GIVE these things away :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

emodx said:

Emo
Emo-

I'm glad you posted that bit about JR. I received the smokes last night and BAM, over humidified. They're sittin in my extra box drying out.

Thanks for the heads up

-Tony

Smokin said:
Sending out bombing runs is the surest way to 1) Make new friends and 2) Atract persons with too many every day smokes to smoke in the next 5 years...You can give em away pretty easy. I actually got one from Dave...(mental not to self: If I get one again, send it back to Dave COD)...lol
Emo

Emo, Emo, Emo....  Good suggestion on picking up from JR.  After a few days these connies are tasting mighty fine.  Still a little wet, but it brings out an earthier taste, which isn't terrible.  I'm going to leave them in the dry-o-dor™ for another few days before trying them again, but Yum Yum...

-Tony

I definately would not put them in a tupperdor, unless you through them in an empty box first then put them in the dor...I have held onto a couple boxes to use for my tupperdore I am about to make. :p

Emo

Nooooo, extra humidor without the credo. Just sitting in there letting the cedar do it's drying thing :)