• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thompson Cigars

Josh

Chronically Misinformed
After browsing around a bit I came to the extremely obvious conclusion that people here aren't impressed with Thompson. But the only real complaints I saw were that some objected some of their prices were a bit too high, and that their black label cigars are like smoking fertilizer.

They have a couple of lower grade items I wanted to try, and I thought most of their sampler packs seem like a pretty nice variety and are priced well.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear your Thompson Cigar experiences, horror stories, or rumors.

Set me on the right course folks!

A friend bought one of their starter packs that comes with a humidor, lighter, cutter, and a pack of their cigars. He made the order over the phone and they charged his credit card and told him he'd have it in a week or so. It took three (3!) months for them to ship it to him. He had to call every other week or so to ask where his order was and each time they would tell him that they were out of stock on the lighter but that they should get more very soon. They wouldn't just ship him everything but the lighter nor make any other concessions - they just acted like it was a normal thing for it to take 3 months to ship something.

If you really want to work with them and think you've found a deal, go ahead (though if you really look around I doubt they really have much for deals). Just don't be shocked to find yourself having to deal with an unhelpful support staff when you shouldn't have to be.

It's not that their prices are that great, but they have some things available I can't find from anywhere else reputable.

OK

Here is the horror story of mine. As a new smoker and before I found CP, I thought the combo pack looked good. So I ordered one. It came with a nice looking humidor and 25 of Thompson Phoenix robustos with a money back guarantee on the cigars. It also came with a free cap and a single carry tube for free. Well the cigars were awful, the humidor will hold humidity but it takes constant attention. I called and asked about returning the cigars which they said was no problem. The problem started when they received them they then issued a $2.99 credit. Mind you I had paid forty for the combo, I was expecting a $20 refund. When I called to question them there response was well it is part of the combo and that was all they valued them at. The cigars were retailing in their catalog for $32. But as the combo, the humidor was $20, the cap $12 and the tube was $3, therefore in the combo the cigars were only $5. They were unwilling to credit me anymore. I was very upset to say the least.

Like people say here, the gloss is nice to look at but there are many other places online to do business with that you will not have near the trouble with. I would not reccomend Thompson's at all.

I have some Thompson's I've been wanting to give away. You want to try them? The best deal I got from them was on my cutters. Beware the samplers, they always toss some dog's in there (as does finks)

I bought smokes from Thompsons a few years ago and had no problems.
I find them too expensive on their "super premiums" and find them to be just regular brands. The only Thompsons brand smoke I had were the Thompson Vintage Especiale which were really nice smokes - but expensive. I don't think they should be charging that much for their own brand. IMHO

:D

I placed an order through them way back when and my biggest problem was getting off their mailing list. They have bombarded me with crap ever since. I think I may finally have gotten them off my back but it took some doing. I must have called them half a dozen times over the last 6 months or so with no results. Finally I requested a supervisor and she actually sent me a letter stating they had removed all my info from their database. I'm crossing my fingers.

lucasbuck said:
my biggest problem was getting off their mailing list. They have bombarded me with crap ever since. I think I may finally have gotten them off my back but it took some doing. I must have called them half a dozen times over the last 6 months or so with no results.
Sorry to hear about your probs bud... I just signed you back up :)

Hay! What are friends for? :D

Horse said:
lucasbuck said:
my biggest problem was getting off their mailing list. They have bombarded me with crap ever since. I think I may finally have gotten them off my back but it took some doing. I must have called them half a dozen times over the last 6 months or so with no results.

That IS good. I must remember that one, what a way to do payback :lookup:

Horse> :thumbs: what a guy :p

Horse said:
lucasbuck said:

LMAO!

Captain B said:
I bought smokes from Thompsons a few years ago and had no problems.
I find them too expensive on their "super premiums" and find them to be just regular brands. The only Thompsons brand smoke I had were the Thompson Vintage Especiale which were really nice smokes - but expensive. I don't think they should be charging that much for their own brand. IMHO

:D
Just ran across an ad in my local paper for Thompson Aco Inc., and it looked interesting, but I dont need any service agrivations at this time. But for those who like them here is the site

It has 1 of the Vintage Especiale in it, along with La Perla Habano, Partagas, La Gloria Cubana, RyJ , CAO, Torano, Onyx, HdM, Macanudo, La Paloma , Belmondo. 12 total, plus a cap and aluminum travel case all for 29.95 plus 4.95 ship.

http://www.powerhouseoffer.com/T5258

Thompson has some pretty good house brands. The good ones are rather high priced, though and you could probably do better buying premiums on one of the other sites.

I personally liked their Phoenix brand which is a low-end, $1/stick cigar. I would buy a couple of bundles of them every now and then for the when I was out on the boat.

Anyway, everytime I buy cigars from them I start getting all of these marketing calls from Thompson trying to get me to join "cigar of the month" clubs, trying to get me to buy more cigars, etc.

I finally told the last telemarketer that if Thompson ever called me again, I would never buy another cigar from them.

Dealing with Thompson just is worth the hastle. Their good cigars are too expensive and their low-end cigars aren't all that great either.

Good luck!

I used to order from Thompsons now and then when I first started smoking cigars and never had any problems really. The phone calls were a real pain but that was about it. Everything I ordered turned out ok.

I HATE the logo on every accesory thing they sell. I have seen one or two nice humidors I would have purchased if not for that stupid logo on them. They should pay ME to advertise for them like that.

I do like the Mariano cigars pretty well. They are very inexpensive and a nice tasting mild cigar for when company is around that doesn't usually smoke. Nor too strong for them and you don't waste a more expensive stick if it's not finished. Pick up some for Barbeques or poker nights and such. A friend gave me his stash when he moved and they turned out to be a nice suprise.

I have to confess though that I have been looking at that Iguana for a long long time now. It's just so bright green! I'm not even so sure I want to smoke them as much as just look at them and keep one in the humi. If anyone has a nice big bright green Iguana or two laying around I'd sure take them off your hands. :thumbs: :D :D

The very first hand made cigars I ever bought for myself came from Thompsons. I was given the name by a guy I met and once the catalog arrived I remeber pouring over it page by page for days reading every word cover to cover. Finally ordered a long fill, cuban seed, hand made, dominican cigar with sumatra wrapper and a nice hint of honey...... A box of Havanna Honey's. I've been smoking hand mades ever since even if it's not the havanna honey's any more.

I'm going to order a box of those Iguanas sooner or later, as I've had about every coro under the sun, except these.

That and a box of VSOP they have, I'm looking for a simple, decent tasting cigar that doesn't cost much to experiment on. I want to try curing them with bourbons and other alcohols in an attempt to make a decent tasting dollar stick.

Oh, and I can't forget Lone Wolf, because Chuck Norris would never steer me wrong!

Good copy on the description of the cigars and some of it might even be true.

If you or anyone comes up with a couple extra Iguana's just let me know and I'd be happy to trade for them just to have in the humi.

The Lone Wolf are up to you and I'm not going to say not to get them because everyone has different tastes, just be aware that the Lone Wolf I got a couple years ago turned out to be short fill cigars and I don't think the add ever mentions that. Just so you know.

It seems to every person who calls Lone Wolf decent, three say it's horrid. Strangely, I still feel compelled to get a bundle. :lookup:

Just ordered Iguanas(fats, maduro) today from Thompsons!! :D :) I'll have to bring a few down with me next time I'm down in JayhawkI(er, uh, wildcat) country Gibu!! Right on with the annoying phone thing. They run recorded messages on your line while you are waiting for someone to take your call. The messages are about four decibles too high and provide more options than a used car salesman.
:thumbs: