• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thoughts on random B&M's

Jsanzone23

So I took the family to the mall this weekend to do our holiday shopping. The best mall is about an hour drive for us and it so happens there is a B&M near the mall. After making sure everyone had what they wanted I decided to go and look at this store. From the moment I walk in, there is an employee glued to my hip. I go into the humidor and he is still there matching me step for step. I turn to the employee and say "Its anejo season, got any?" The employee states "There is alot of companies that have the slogan anejo so you have to be more specific". Really? I was then directed to a box a RP sungrowns. I spent 20 minutes in the humidor and the employee's took turns watching me like a hawk. This is why I buy online. My new rule is if I cant make it down to tower cigar and see mark then I am not going to go to a B&M near me anymore I'll just deal with the great vendors on here...Thanks for letting me vent!

My local B&M is beyond great, but for awhile they had an employee like that . . . used to follow me around the humidor pestering me about what I was looking for, what I liked (I'm 50, a regular, and have been smoking cigars a couple decades, so it's not like I need my hand held in there, lol) and so forth until finally, after about the fifth "what do you like?" I turned around and snapped "I like to browse."

He left me alone after that! :laugh:

~Boar

I can't complain anymore. Nice B&M on my area (with Anejo) with a good smoking crowd. I can pick out a cigar, cut and light it and then go pay. No rush.

I always look for B&M's when I travel. My co-workers make fun of me because on trips I spot these and liquor/beer stores and not much of anything else. I do this because the limit of B&M's near me and the adventure of finding new people. I have had some good experiences, in Dallas and Birmingham, and some bad experiences and everything in between. The closest B&M's to me are up in Memphis. One has a grumpy old man working there and not much of anyone else in the shop (I go here as it is the only shop with LFD DL selection), another shop has the "good ole boys", the shop I usually visit has friendly people and a large clean lounge area. The biggest problem for me is the 1.5 hour drive away these places are. So they are out for an after work smoke, also closing at 7pm makes that hard anyway. Luckily, they are opening a shop/lounge in town soon. I go in about 1-2 times a week to ask for an updates date of opening. I hope I'm not the only one doing it.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' date='07 December 2009 - 08:15 AM' timestamp='1260202502' post='928126']
I always look for B&M's when I travel. My co-workers make fun of me because on trips I spot these and liquor/beer stores and not much of anything else. I do this because the limit of B&M's near me and the adventure of finding new people. I have had some good experiences, in Dallas and Birmingham, and some bad experiences and everything in between. The closest B&M's to me are up in Memphis. One has a grumpy old man working there and not much of anyone else in the shop (I go here as it is the only shop with LFD DL selection), another shop has the "good ole boys", the shop I usually visit has friendly people and a large clean lounge area. The biggest problem for me is the 1.5 hour drive away these places are. So they are out for an after work smoke, also closing at 7pm makes that hard anyway. Luckily, they are opening a shop/lounge in town soon. I go in about 1-2 times a week to ask for an updates date of opening. I hope I'm not the only one doing it.
[/quote]

I have the same problem. The only one that is some what close without a drive has an ass for an owner and marks everything up 250%. A Fuente Anejo 46 is going for 32.99 without CA tax....really?

[quote name='Jsanzone23' date='07 December 2009 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1260204807' post='928132']
[quote name='Smokin'Sims' date='07 December 2009 - 08:15 AM' timestamp='1260202502' post='928126']
[/quote]

I have the same problem. The only one that is some what close without a drive has an ass for an owner and marks everything up 250%. A Fuente Anejo 46 is going for 32.99 without CA tax....really?
[/quote]

for the most part, there is a good assortment of b&m's in houston. Especially considering seriouscigars.com has its two B&M locations here. However, the closest one to me also happens to be the city's sole cigar bar, and marks everything up way too high. based on memory, i think they had a padron 9 for $ 27 and an aroma de cuba no 5 for about $12.

[quote name='MikePJones' date='07 December 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1260207172' post='928137']
[quote name='Jsanzone23' date='07 December 2009 - 10:53 AM' timestamp='1260204807' post='928132']
[/quote]

[/quote]

for the most part, there is a good assortment of b&m's in houston. Especially considering seriouscigars.com has its two B&M locations here. However, the closest one to me also happens to be the city's sole cigar bar, and marks everything up way too high. based on memory, i think they had a padron 9 for $ 27 and an aroma de cuba no 5 for about $12.
[/quote]

Is that Downing Street? I went there once and liked the bar but didn't even try going into the humidor. I usually go to Serious up on 1960 when in town. I've never been followed into the humidor and the selection is great, but I've also never had a chat with anyone there.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is that Downing Street? I went there once and liked the bar but didn't even try going into the humidor. I usually go to Serious up on 1960 when in town. I've never been followed into the humidor and the selection is great, but I've also never had a chat with anyone there.
[/quote]

yup, downing street. GORGEOUS humidor by all means, they are just trying to recover the costs of construction via markups. Serious on 1960 has an amazing selection, ive ventured up there on a few occasions. They opened a store close to downtown which also has a pretty good selection. If the 1960 store has something that the galleria store doesn't, the owner is usually willing to courier them down.

Downing street is a nice place and their drink prices aren't that ridiculous for that part of town. Just bring your own smokes, there's no cutting fee or anything like that. I've been there numerous times and never bought a smoke.

Cigars sold in bars are always expensive in my experience. The cigars that they sell aren't directed at regular cigar smoker, they are directed more at people that are desperate for a smoke or consider themselves high rollers so paying way too much for the cigars isn't a problem for them.

I can't complain anymore. Nice B&M on my area (with Anejo) with a good smoking crowd. I can pick out a cigar, cut and light it and then go pay. No rush.

That's the way I am at our store. Slow down, no rush. Enjoy your cigar, we'll take care of everything later.

Downing street is a nice place and their drink prices aren't that ridiculous for that part of town. Just bring your own smokes, there's no cutting fee or anything like that. I've been there numerous times and never bought a smoke.

Cigars sold in bars are always expensive in my experience. The cigars that they sell aren't directed at regular cigar smoker, they are directed more at people that are desperate for a smoke or consider themselves high rollers so paying way too much for the cigars isn't a problem for them.

i agree fully, wonderful place-- i go there for drinks and atmosphere, but bring my own smokes.

Random B&M's are rarely worth the time I spend there. They're like rainy days: they make me appreciate the good ones even more.

Derek