• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Three bottles of scotch to choose from...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Decisions Decisions...

Glen Keith 10 year-old

Dalmore 12 year-old "The Black Isle"

Balvenie 1989 Port Wood

My wife said I can order 1 of the whiskeys listed above (they are on sale) as my christmas gift from her to me.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I was leaning towards the Glen Keith since the distillery is now closed and the brand is no longer made.

Never had that particular Dalmore so that would be my choice. The '89 PortWood isn't as good as the '91. I reviewed the Glen Keith here and it is just a standard dram IMO so that leaves the Dalmore.

Edit: Where did you see Glen Keith is closed? It isn't to my knowledge.

AVB said:
Never had that particular Dalmore so that would be my choice. The '89 PortWood isn't as good as the '91. I reviewed the Glen Keith here and it is just a standard dram IMO so that leaves the Dalmore.

Edit: Where did you see Glen Keith is closed? It isn't to my knowledge.
[snapback]264936[/snapback]​

It was in my whiskeyshop.de newsletter. I read your reviews of the other Dalmores and it sounds like you really like them. Ok Dalmore it is :thumbs:

lol they delivered my bottle of Tamdhu to my company today (even though my house address was on the box, got to love being the only "Shawn Adams" in a 2000 square kilometer area :D ) And I've been tempted all day to try it. I didn't see a review on the Tamdhu in your list ??? Should I do a review later?

My reviews should have no bearing on if or when you do one. The more the merrier!

Right on! :thumbs: I plan on cracking the seal at the weekly herf tonight, maybe Double D will put in his 2 cents as well :)

*edit* I only asked since my last whiskey review went over like a...

ledzep6nb.jpg
:p

I've been looking at all the major whisky sites and nobody has a mention of Glen Keith being closed. Could you post a link or check the newsletter again?

AVB said:
I've been looking at all the major whisky sites and nobody has a mention of Glen Keith being closed. Could you post a link or check the newsletter again?
[snapback]265037[/snapback]​

Its a printed newsletter in German AVB, if you want I'll scan it in tomorrow, I left it at work.

OK, I have figured out that our terminology isn't matching. A closed distillery is no longer licensed or producing. A mothballed distillery can be up and running in a short period of time, sometimes as little as a week, but is currently not producing. However, it is still licensed to produce.

Glen Keith is mothballed but not closed.

Wurm said:
P.S. I was leaning towards the Glen Keith since the distillery is now closed and the brand is no longer made.
[snapback]264922[/snapback]​

AVB said:
OK, I have figured out that our terminology isn't matching.

As ironic as that is....I've said that to some of my students! :laugh:

Ok that sounds better, but its been mothballed for over 9 years.

Here is the clip from the newsletter,

glenkeith9uv.jpg

"seit fast zehn Jahren nicht mehr in Betrieb" translates to "has been closed for close to ten years"

But the rest of the clip says basically the same thing that you said about the whiskey, "its a typical single malt"

:)

Wurm said:

"seit fast zehn Jahren nicht mehr in Betrieb" translates to "has been closed for close to ten years"
But the rest of the clip says basically the same thing that you said about the whiskey, "its a typical single malt"

[snapback]265402[/snapback]​
OH SURE IT SAYS THAT, yeah I bet!!! :laugh:

(j/k)

I got this from one of those on-line translators:
for nearly ten years no more in company

LMAO!! Sorry but I can't tell WTF is going on here.

coventrycat86 said:
Wurm said:

[snapback]265402[/snapback]​
OH SURE IT SAYS THAT, yeah I bet!!! :laugh:

(j/k)
[snapback]265404[/snapback]​

lol I'm starting to think you never sleep Bill.

Now granted, I'm guessing and I'll admit I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about but it looks to me like they haven't made any Scotch in almost ten years BUT that's not to say that they might never make any again HOWEVER it sure seems doubtful to me that they ever will.

Again, I have no idea...... :laugh:

You want to have a good laugh put that into a translation program . First translate it to english then translate it back to german and back to english again. You will have a totally difrent translation each time.But the last line says basically hasnt produced scotch in ten years.

Wurm had a bottle of scotch he left it at my house so now it is no more the scotch fairies must have stole it dureing the night.

Fugger you had better not drank all of that Tamhdu, you need to drink that bottle of JW Black you got for your birthday and leave the good stuff alone!

If there isn't at least one more glass left I'm going to have to steal that Opus X Santa sent you.

Double D said:
see how easy it is to rile him up.
[snapback]265443[/snapback]​

lol when it comes to my hard earned whiskey and cigars... your darn tooting bro.

The official release (the 10 yo that is pictured) didn't come out until 1994 so that makes it close to 10 years. What I found out was that Glen Keith was mothballed in October 1999 before being sold to Pernod Ricard on 19 December 2001.

So what I think should have been said was that while this expression of the whisky has been out for about 10 years, the distillery hasn't produced since 1999.