• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time it takes to smoke a pipe

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
So on a whim I decided to buy a pipe and some tobacco and give It a shot. I noticed that a bowl took me 20 minutes to smoke. Given that cigars generally last an hour this struck me as really quick. Is that common or am I smoking it too quick?
Being so new to pipes im not sure what relevant info I necessary so it was honey cavendish and a cheap drugstore pipe. Bent stem.

I actually have no clue. If I had to guess, 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of pipe's chamber.  I like pipes for the convenience and lack of any real time constraint.  I don't waste any cigars and they actually can taste better than worse after re-lighting. I smoke Virginias and VaPers so, relighting works best compared to an English. Can't speak for Aros.

Are pipe chambers a standard size or do they vary? And if so, are the sizes referenced in looking at pipes like the way cigars are?

10d52524fdee3f6cd879f8333c9e2c7c.jpg

This is my pipe

cabaiguan juan said:
Are pipe chambers a standard size or do they vary? And if so, are the sizes referenced in looking at pipes like the way cigars are?

They can vary, in size, dramatically. The geometry can vary as well i.e., fairly parallel walls to very conical walls. I much prefer conical walls. 
I believe Dunhill had a published system for numbering sizes. I think it's something like "Group 3" "Group 5" etc. Probably not too hard to find a web reference.
I've never really made a study of size codes and usually buy per the sellers dimensions. I like small, conical chambers (.75 dia max) and fairly thick chamber walls, which in my case, makes for a tastier experience with the tobaccos I like.

Depends on alot of factors, like many have stated....

- size of tobacco chamber (dia and depth)
- type of tobacco cut (flake burn slower)
- type of tobacco
- moisture content
- wind?
- how often you draw on the pipe

For example, Trey was smoking a RASS, a tobusto that has a smoking time of about an hour. Trey is a slow smoker, I am a fast smoker. i managed to smoke my pipe (medium bowl, english blend) about 10 minutes more than him, about an hour 15 minutes.... Others may have smoked the same bowl for 45 minutes....

You kinda get the hang of it with time.....