• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Time to Jump In

okiesmoke

I've smoked a pipe on occasion but never have devoted much time to it.  I have my late grandfather's pipes and the nicest of them is a Mastercraft (which I'd like to clean up because it seems to be in good condition).  Anyway, I decided to get a little more serious this weekend.

I picked up a Baronet Bruyere 611 - my first ever bent and a couple bulk tobaccos to try, one flavored and one English or at least on it's way.  It has some latakia in it.  Another first.

Was looking at getting some Frog Morton and maybe a tin of Christmas cheer but have no frame of reference.  Any advice on any topic is appreciated!  I'm loving the bulk of the pipe thus far.  Cheers!

Have fun.  Taste in pipe tobacco is exceptionally subjective.  Some will hate one that others love.  If you weren't repulsed by the latakia then you're probably wide open to have almost anything.  MadMonk recently gave me some advice that I really appreciated.  It was:  "I tend to like Virginias in smaller bowls with a sort of Conical chamber. English blends seem to be more forgiving of bowl size and geometry." 

The funny thing is that he is right on the money.  The shape of the pipe dictates, to a degree, how much smoke is released.  I have found that some are better with smaller draws.  It's kinda like a sip or a shot in whiskey terminology.  I do recommend that you try to follow his advice if that is possible for you given the pipes that you have on hand. 

Have fun...