• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

TinderBox Blends

Spentkustard

Ive been buying tinderbox's pipe blends and I wanted to know what other people thought of them. The reason I buy them is I think they taste pretty good and I cant afford the higher end stuff they sell. I bought a bunch of it today at 2.50-2.80 a ounce I can try a couple different blends. I just started smoking pipes so I dont know much taste wise but I really like the black Rasberry. :)

I enjoy the sunset, wilshire, and captain spice. Also some tinderboxs have one called maple and rum :thumbs:

Wilshire (also known as Marina Mist in some of the older Tinder Boxes)
is always a favorite, as is North Sea. I would suggest you try some
of the "English" blends they offer: Sherlock and Balkan. These are
un-flavored blends with some of the heavier Turkish tobaccos. They
smell sort of like a campfire when they burn and taste more like a
cigar. Not generally a crowd-pleaser like some of the sweeter blends,
but, for me, they taste better. But then, I'm also a confirmed cigar
puffer. :D

Bulk Tobacco is just as good as the tins, tins are packaged for a higher sale. Some of the best tobacco comes in bulk and can be purchased at a much lower cost and have the quality of the more expensive tin products.

Forgive this question as I am a totally new to this. I bought a tin of McClelland Dark Star the other day and much to my surprise, the stuff looks like beef jerky. I doubt you smoke it in this condition. How does one go about getting this in "smokable" form? Looks like you would need to rub it between your fingers or something similar to break it up.

You guessed right the first time ! Rub it out enought to get it in the pipe, pack loose and rub some out fine to put on top. Remember to puff slow, smoked fast this tobacco will get hot and burn your tounge.

The best way to rub out a flake tobacco is between the palms of your hands, held more or less like a person praying, and move your hands in circurlar motions. Allow the crumbled tobacco to fall out onto a sheet of paper below. I enjoy this little added ritual. :cool:

When I lived near a TB that was run by an owner who cared about tobacco- and not trinkets, he had a blend that he called Philosopher's Blend- it was a strong English type. Definately recommend. I also recommend that you try as many as possible. Since you expressed a relative newness to the habit, you have nothing to loose by trying a whole bunch of different tobaccos that you may or may not like. This is another reason I prefer my pipes- trying lots of stuff without being tied to a box of cigars that I may or may not actually like.

n00n3r

If you are going to try both aromatic and straight tobaccos, you might want to consider using some of your pipes for only aromatics and others for only straight tobaccos. I even divide the pipes for straight tobaccos into those for blends with latakia and those without.

If you're ever out and about and don't come across a Tinder Box, here are the formula codes for some of their blends;

BCA - Midnight
1-Q - Wilshire
HS-3 - Sunset
BLWB - Burley Light
RLP-6 Chartwell
Nougat - North sea

Most Full-Service Tobacconists will carry these blends, just under different names.