• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To Air or not to Air

yigal

I've been aging some CC boxes as well as some NC's in airtight tupperdor's with respectable 65 and 69 Boveda's. Some say that I need to open the tupperdor's and air them out, and Boveda says nay, keep em closed and no need to air them out. Thoughts? Also, if you're leaning towards airing them out, how often would you say? Thanks.

No cuz they keep the humidity good, so you would wanna do that as little as possible.

I think that 65% is a slight bit low for aging CCs. Everything I've read on here from the experts puts the magic number for aging right around 68%. When you are ready to smoke them, dry box them down to 65%.

I think that 65% is a slight bit low for aging CCs. Everything I've read on here from the experts puts the magic number for aging right around 68%. When you are ready to smoke them, dry box them down to 65%.
So where is 68% packs i can buy?

So where is 68% packs i can buy?
Honestly, you may have to be a little more active in your humidification -- I don't know if there are 68% packs out there. Perhaps @jfields or @CigSid or one of the many others with a small nation's GDP invested in CCs can chime in and advise (and correct me, if need-be). If we are talking aging aging (like, not seeing those cigars again for several years or more), I'd think 70% would be ok. The concern is that you do not want to allow the oils to dry out of the cigars over time with too low of a RH.

*EDIT* https://www.heartfeltindustries.com

Get yourself some beads and call it a day. There are others out there besides Heartfelt, but they are the most popular on here, by far. Sometimes HF is out of stock in some RHs, so keep an eye on the site. Get yourself some 65% for your drybox.

The 69% Bovidas will keep it right around 68%, you can see them here:
I also agree with Kann about the beads, much better process. Also, I would open the tuperware about every month (twice a month for very young cigars) to expel the ammonia and other gases that occur in the aging process.
I leave the drains open on my coolidors for just this reason. It may make the beads work a little harder but I have about 3X the prescribed amount of beads anyway.

Honestly, you may have to be a little more active in your humidification -- I don't know if there are 68% packs out there. Perhaps @jfields or @CigSid or one of the many others with a small nation's GDP invested in CCs can chime in and advise (and correct me, if need-be). If we are talking aging aging (like, not seeing those cigars again for several years or more), I'd think 70% would be ok. The concern is that you do not want to allow the oils to dry out of the cigars over time with too low of a RH.

*EDIT* https://www.heartfeltindustries.com

Get yourself some beads and call it a day. There are others out there besides Heartfelt, but they are the most popular on here, by far. Sometimes HF is out of stock in some RHs, so keep an eye on the site. Get yourself some 65% for your drybox.
I've never used beads. Only Boveda's. What would you say is better about the beads?

I believe the best thing about the beads is that you don't have to replace them, just "recharge" them when they start to dry out. The Boveda packs can't really be "recharged" and keep the accuracy in their RH regulation. The beads are also supposed to absorb extra humidity in your storage devises, but I', not sure they really do that.

To echo a couple others, and advice by some titans in the game, absolutely introduce fresh air to your cigars whether it’s Tupperware, coolers, desktops, or bags. Aging or not, at a minimum one or twice a month if it’s storage you’re not going into regularly.
Using Boveda or Boost has nothing to do with it. Getting the old air out and fresh air in will help to keep everything fresh and happy.

I’m a big fan of Boveda, though I’ve been seeing more people recently going back to beads. It’s really just a preference thing.
I keep all of my humidors at around 66-68% using Boveda and it’s been a very easy and effective system. It also looks very tidy. I posted my setups in the Storage sub forum if you wanna go take a look.
I recharge them as well by submerging in distilled water for 24-48hrs and air drying.
It’s was a small trial and error process as you can def overcharge them, but if you’re paying attention, it’s not an issue and you can significantly extend the life of them.