• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

To tell or not to tell...

Wisco

A friend of mine recently came back from a trip south of the border. He brought back a case of Cubans that I can tell are obvious fakes. The labels do not line up when they are in the box. The colors vary far too much from cigar to cigar. As well as a few other slightly off details.

So he is really excited to smoke them with me and others. Do I tell him they might be fakes? Do I let others smoke them thinking they are Cubans? Do I fake the excitement and enjoyment? How far must I go for a good friend. Your advice is appreciated.

I'd tell him. Friends don't let friends pass fakes.

Tell him. Cigar smoking is all about passing wisdom from one smoker to another smoker.

The sooner the better, so he can stop embarrassing himself.

Yeah, I would take him aside privately and break the bad news to him. Also, show him why
they are fake so he doesn't make the same mistake again.

As long as you aren't condescending or make him feel like a fool when you tell him, it should be ok. I'd appreciate it if I were in that situation and informed.

You might want to mention you suspect they are fake, then visit vitolas.net or any of the other informative sites out there with counterfeit band examples to show a comparison with a genuine band. Or even better, if you have a cigar of the same brand show a comparison.

No matter how nice you are when you break the news to him, he might not want to admit he'd been duped.

If they smoke good and he enjoys them, at least some good comes out of his purchase.

You should definitely tell him, but tell him nicely and in private. Explain to him why they are fake as well, so that he knows what to look out for the next time he wants to purchase some Cuban cigars. It blows, but do you really want someone you call friend to be duped again when it could have easily been prevented by you? Let him know.

I was gifted a "Cohibo" the other day from someone who just lost their job but appreciated me sharing some of my sticks with him the week prior. He said he had 2 left and wanted me to have one. I inspected it and the third row of squares up top were cut off and the rest of band was a bit orange. I explained that it was suspect and he said "no way, these are real, they came in a beautiful box with a glass top and even had the Cuban seal and humidification device in the box, they are the real deal". I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise so I graciously accepted and told him I would like to age it a bit before smoking it. I know I should have told him but he just lost his job, was a mess over it and really thought that he was handing me a world renowned stick. I don't whether to to reapproach him or just let it go.

As long as you aren't condescending or make him feel like a fool when you tell him, it should be ok. I'd appreciate it if I were in that situation and informed.

You might want to mention you suspect they are fake, then visit vitolas.net or any of the other informative sites out there with counterfeit band examples to show a comparison with a genuine band. Or even better, if you have a cigar of the same brand show a comparison.

No matter how nice you are when you break the news to him, he might not want to admit he'd been duped.

If they smoke good and he enjoys them, at least some good comes out of his purchase.
Well said. One on one, I'd take him to the pages in Vitolas.net and show him the info on fakes. Explain to him how big the problem with fakes is. What you want to do in as friendly a way as possible is let HIM discover they are fakes. As a more knowledgable friend, your task is to guide him down that path and let him figure it out for himself.

Then, be sure to tell him to not feel bad as it happens to thousands of well meaning folks, all the time.

Then, throw the dang things in the fireplace so they don't get traded / sold / etc.......
tongue.gif

Regards - B.B.S.

You've received a lot of good advice here. Just carefully consider whether or not he is the type of fellow who wants to be told. Sometimes people are happier being duped whether you like it or not.

-Mark

Oh no, not the dreaded fake thread again!

I'm just waiting for the "thanks for some of your advice, but the rest of you are insolent pricks who are mouth-breathing shitstains!"

Don't feed the raccoons, because they'll just follow you to your car...

I'm not saying this is the case, but you know we never get the answer after they tell them they are fakes!

I want to know how he knows they're fakes. Labels not lining up and shades matching aren't the be all end all, especially with the QC stories I've read here.

I want to know how he knows they're fakes. Labels not lining up and shades matching aren't the be all end all, especially with the QC stories I've read here.

Well, there are "a few other slightly off details." Maybe he'll get back to you.

In my humble opinion, they need to smoke those cigars. I've established certain criteria for checking authenticity. If the cigars draw poorly or are plugged, along with the requisite ammoniated taste, then we'll know our friend, or friend of a friend, has got some real Cubans. :sign:

-Mark

I'm not saying this is the case, but you know we never get the answer after they tell them they are fakes!

Ah, gotcha. I told mine and he politely thanked me. I've since learned that he smoked one, then gave away the rest as genuine.