• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tobacco Taxes Does It Again...

bfisher88

Livin' The Dream
So Utah is passing legislation for an 86% tobacco sales tax to go into effect on July 1st. This is forcing the best cigar store in the state to shut down after 60 years or so in business. The law is taxing the stores on all of their current stock that they have in the store on July 1st as well! I was at a local Tinder Box today and spoke with a man there and he told me if they were to keep their normal inventory, they would owe $90,000 due to this. Such a shame.

Rumor has it the mormon run government here is behind this so they can do what they did with alcohol in the state as well. Not surprised.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10056434

Ouch...gotta love the representative's acknowledging that he didn't realize the impact of the bill. Way to go...thanks for legislating from a position of wisdom.

Ouch...gotta love the representative's acknowledging that he didn't realize the impact of the bill. Way to go...thanks for legislating from a position of wisdom.
Legislation from a position of religion. Figures.

And I thought California cigar taxes were bad! Ouch!

Wow, I feel for you man.

Our taxes aren't that bad, we just have ultra-liberal snipers waiting to shoot you in the head if a cigar and lighter get to close to each other in public view. Gotta love the GOV trying to force their personal beliefs on the general public, whatever the impact may be.

...we just have ultra-liberal snipers waiting to shoot you in the head if a cigar and lighter get to close to each other in public view. Gotta love the GOV trying to force their personal beliefs on the general public, whatever the impact may be.

Benj's story shows that both ideological sides are in on the hatred so don't limit your anger to one set of views.

...we just have ultra-liberal snipers waiting to shoot you in the head if a cigar and lighter get to close to each other in public view. Gotta love the GOV trying to force their personal beliefs on the general public, whatever the impact may be.

Benj's story shows that both ideological sides are in on the hatred so don't limit your anger to one set of views.

Except that his story doesn't ring true for my place of residence, to which my comment was aimed.

Except that his story doesn't ring true for my place of residence, to which my comment was aimed.

I apologize, didn't mean to drag personal politics into this.

So Utah is passing legislation for an 86% tobacco sales tax to go into effect on July 1st. This is forcing the best cigar store in the state to shut down after 60 years or so in business. The law is taxing the stores on all of their current stock that they have in the store on July 1st as well! I was at a local Tinder Box today and spoke with a man there and he told me if they were to keep their normal inventory, they would owe $90,000 due to this. Such a shame.

Rumor has it the mormon run government here is behind this so they can do what they did with alcohol in the state as well. Not surprised.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=10056434
Is the CRA going to do anything about this?

http://www.ksl.com/i...48&sid=10056434
Is the CRA going to do anything about this?

Sounds like you need the NRA, not the CRA!

:p

When the stores start shutting down and they loose the revenue that they have been collecting from the existing tax, they will bitch more.

Wow, back-taxing existing stock too. I can understand taxing new stock.... but stuff that had already been legally bought and paid for, old taxes included. Harsh.

Wow, back-taxing existing stock too. I can understand taxing new stock.... but stuff that had already been legally bought and paid for, old taxes included. Harsh.

Depending on the language of Utah's constitution, this part of the law may very well be unconstitutional.

The constitution is still very important today! You don't expect that politicians would use toilet paper to wipe their asses like the rest of us common-folk, right?

The cosing of this shop sucks. I bought my first cigars there and am sad to see it go. Before i had a humidor I would pick up a stick or two before heading to play poker each week. Utah passes many odd things based ont he dynamics at play in the state.

Sen. Allen Christensen, R-North Ogden, was the chief Senate sponsor of the tobacco tax bill. "I have sympathy for anybody who has a business anyplace who is impacted by government," he said. "But I'm sorry, I don't have as much sympathy for someone in the tobacco business."

Christensen says he didn't realize the inventory tax would affect retailers. "I was under the impression that it was going to be paid at the wholesale level," he said.

But Charlie Roberts of the Utah Tax Commission says retailers are clearly covered by the law. "It's inherent in the law, it's clear. The Legislature discussed in detail the inventory tax as part of this bill."

Christensen says lawmakers often hand off the idea for a bill to legislative researchers.

"It was a simply a matter of I hadn't read the bill just recently and understood it," Christensen said.

I keep re-reading this part and it makes me more angry every time I do so. WTF?!?! Sen Christensen was the CHIEF SPONSOR and didn't understand what he was pushing? I hope Mr. Klc can find a way to challenge this in court.

Sen. Allen Christensen, R-North Ogden, was the chief Senate sponsor of the tobacco tax bill. "I have sympathy for anybody who has a business anyplace who is impacted by government," he said. "But I'm sorry, I don't have as much sympathy for someone in the tobacco business."

Christensen says he didn't realize the inventory tax would affect retailers. "I was under the impression that it was going to be paid at the wholesale level," he said.

But Charlie Roberts of the Utah Tax Commission says retailers are clearly covered by the law. "It's inherent in the law, it's clear. The Legislature discussed in detail the inventory tax as part of this bill."

Christensen says lawmakers often hand off the idea for a bill to legislative researchers.

"It was a simply a matter of I hadn't read the bill just recently and understood it," Christensen said.

I keep re-reading this part and it makes me more angry every time I do so. WTF?!?! Sen Christensen was the CHIEF SPONSOR and didn't understand what he was pushing? I hope Mr. Klc can find a way to challenge this in court.
Yeah it really is a shame. Although I doubt he will do much about it. He will probably just move on from it all. Someone should do something about it though,